• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 Gameplay Trailer | Launches February 8, 2024

It's time, Helldivers. Katherine from Arrowhead Game Studios bringing you the biggest announcement yet: Helldivers 2 launches on PS5 and Steam on February 8, 2024!

February will be here before we know it, which means we've got to get you officially enlisted! We start taking pre-orders for both the Standard Edition and the Super Citizen Edition of Helldivers 2 on September 22, 2023.

It won't be long before you and 3 recruits can team up for online cooperative multiplayer* with large-scale destructive power through stratagems, explore unique planets and complete objectives together, and upgrade your equipment through the deep progression system of Helldivers 2. Collect natural resources of alien origin and use them to enhance and unlock new stratagems aboard your ship.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
im-with.gif

Day 1 even though the latest trailer didn't wow me.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
PS5 and PC day and date. I don’t see how they can charge £70 for this, that’s going to be a hard sell for a lot of people. Need to find out pricing on this before I am interested. Looks like a lot of fun potentially.

[Sigma]

Pulling my bros off COD for this. This will be my next multiplayer and probably the only one i'll play next year outside of me continuing to play Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8. I guess that means i'll be subbed to PS Plus again but i'll move down to the Essential tier.

Game looks great but I'm assuming that was PS5 footage because the framerate was rough. Hope they got Nixxes for the PC version.
Helldivers 1 release date: March 2015
Helldivers 2 release date: February 2024

That's a 9 year dev cycle.
They announced that they started development on Helldivers 2 in Dec 2020, so it's more like a 3-4 year dev cycle.

There was probably a canceled project or two before they decided on the sequel.

Lokaum D+

this is the kind of game that wouldn't hurt Sony if it was day one on PS+Extra, to tell the truth, I think that would help this game a lot

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That looks like the perfect evolution from the 1st game which was a great time.

This coming to PC? I hope it as I'd rather buy there. And I'm assuming of so, cross play?

Loved the first game but Sony needs to spread out the exclusives more, this comes out a couple of weeks before FFVII Rebirth, would have been perfect mid-January. Anyway, looking good 👌

Fbh

Still no word on pricing?
Seems like a fun game if its $30.
If it's $70 this seems pretty DOA

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That looks like the perfect evolution from the 1st game which was a great time.

This coming to PC? I hope it as I'd rather buy there. And I'm assuming of so, cross play?
Day one on PC. Steam page is up. Date is not updated.

Dragouth posted a thread.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like they changed the game from isometric top down twin stick shooter to a third person and more gritty looking version of EDF.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Still no word on pricing?
Seems like a fun game if its $30.
If it's $70 this seems pretty DOA

This screams the kind of game that should be free to play with monetization.

It isn't gonna do shit at $70.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those of you talking price, the original game launched for $20 US (it was hard to google the answer because search results kept bringing up more recent bundle editions). Since then, the price seems stable at $20 US on Steam and such, but the game has changed to deluxe editions with much more content.

Unless Arrowhead wants to amp it up to a higher price thinking the production values warrant a Returnal kind of price, I think it'll probably stick to a $20 or so price. I dont see the game jumping to $60 or $70 US.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I know Helldivers 1 has a devoted fanbase, but I just don't get the appeal. It looks like every squad based looter shooter you've ever seen.

It's not really a looter shooter. There's no loot. Helldivers differentiates itself by encouraging more teamwork and tactical play than a game like Destiny. Players move far slower (compared to Destiny, Left 4 Dead etc) so coordinating with your teammates is more vital to mission success. It's also way easier to find the difficulty sweet spot in Helldivers because of the way they set up difficulty levels.

Do you know if it's the only game they've been working on?

They seemed to ramp up hiring back in 2016. I think they were ~10 employees for Helldivers 1 and now they're ~70 for H2. Usually, you ramp up hiring when a project gets a full green light so I don't think they worked on other games. Who knows though?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Since the other Helldivers 2 thread got locked, just a reminder since it doesn't say in this thread that Helldivers 2 is coming to PC day one.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Any word if it's going to be full crossplay and/or cross progression?
Not yet. I skimmed some official arrowhead blogs from earlier this year and they are vague on that. That keep talking about playing together and coop so it hints at cross play, but they haven’t outright said PS and PC are compatible.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not yet. I skimmed some official arrowhead blogs from earlier this year and they are vague on that. That keep talking about playing together and coop so it hints at cross play, but they haven’t outright said PS and PC are compatible.

The first Helldivers was cross play. This one is all but certain to have cross play too.

Ogbert

Eugh.

It’s still got those fucking directional inputs for calling in stuff.

I don’t know why they insist on putting that in. It’s the diametric opposite of fun.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Eugh.

It’s still got those fucking directional inputs for calling in stuff.

I don’t know why they insist on putting that in. It’s the diametric opposite of fun.
I like it. It's a gamey way of capturing that tense moment in war movies where they are trying to call in an air strike while under heavy fire.

stickkidsam

I like it. It's a gamey way of capturing that tense moment in war movies where they are trying to call in an air strike while under heavy fire.
Yeah I love it when they try to add little mini games for certain processes. I understand it doesn’t always fit, but I feel like you rarely see cool simulation elements like this because devs are worried it’ll frustrate players.

Not everything needs to be streamlined to a single button press.

Top Bottom