• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me choose a guitar amp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to buy an amp suitable for live performances in the next few months. I have no experience with amps really, as I'm not in a band...but I plan to be so I'll need the necessary equipment. I've got around a AU$1000 (around US$750) or so to spend, so I'll probably be looking at second hand amps to get the best possible, but, what amp should I get? I've heard good things about tube amps, and I know that generally Marshall and Fender are the brands to look at, but other than that I'm clueless. So help me out!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Marshall!

Specifically: Mode 4. You could try to find a second hand Mode 4 head unit and amp.

Mesa Boogie can be expensive, but they have made amps for years and have a lot of stuff floating about so a used Boogie might fit into your budget.
Just understand that a 100 watt tube amp might not be a reasonable practice amp since you'll have to crank it to get a good tone. Playing in smaller venues through a PA you may find that cranking it for tone is problematic too.
I think for a lot of applications amps like the VOX Valvetronix or Line 6 Vetta(maybe aused one) are pretty nifty.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
On the Marshall front you might want to check out the Valvestate range as well - valves in the pre-amp and a solid state power amp. You don't quite get the sweet sound of a pure valve amp, but you do get something that you can turn down for practices. And they're nice amps in themselves - I use a 150-watt Valvestate combo for practice and gigging, and it's great.

Oh, and before you're sucked in by the beauty of a 4x10 cab, just remember you're going to have to carry it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom