• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me diagnose which part of my PC is dying

LilJoka

Whats a reliable place to get older drivers from? ATI doesnt seem to have an archive of sorts

Once youve gone through AMDs driver page and landed at the download page, on the right hand side it says "Previous Drivers and Software". Thats where you can get the older versions.

Ok, so I'm pretty sure it's some HW incompat with my ATI card and my mobo or chipset, I've sent it back to the store but they find nothing wrong with it.
So I'm left with two choices, either shell out some money on a 750w power supply, or sell this piece of shit card and get a new one, but that would probably mean a new power supply as well.

oy vey

Moobabe

I'm having similar issues - I had faulty RAM a while back, but more recently I've been having crashes, sometimes without BSOD.

I'm 99% sure its my graphics card, so I've gone for a new one - but I've started monitoring temperatures recently to see what (if anything) is going wrong on that front.

Is there any way to check what PSU I've got easily? Like through a programme or anything?

Bytes

For what it's worth, a few years back I tried to overclock my ATI GPU. When I would set it too high, I would eventually start getting that weird multi-color effect like the one you are experiencing. I definitely recommend underclocking using the Catalyst Control Center to see if that resolves the issue.

Firecrest

I had a similar experience with this rig, getting hit with a slew of BSoDs, visual artifacts, and whatnot. Turns out after some cross-checking, the brand of ram (brand- not type) was incompatible with my motherboard.

Goldrush

Does this happen randomly or is it limited to some games and programs? Just wondering if my problem might be related. In my case, everything works fine except for VLC Media Player, RE6, and Civ V (except for windowed fullscreen mode). All three would experience severe gfx glitches and then BSOD my computer within an hour. I'm just assuming that this is a case of shitty AMD drivers.

I've been considering 3 possible outcomes of this:

I get a gtx760, for around 200 euros

I wait, keep this current setup and eventually get a gtx970

third and the one i least find pleasing, get a new mobo and hope this is related mostly to the mobo

BLunted

Banned
Sounds like a RAM problem to me. Might have some faulty sticks.

This. Try booting it with 1 then 2 etc to see if one is faulty.

This was my first thought as well, but he said he ran memtest. If there was a problem with the RAM, memtest would have shown something.

My guess would be a bad overclock, if it is overclocked. This has been pretty much the root of all my problems. I would undo and run bios at factory defaults, then redo the OC. works for me.

If not overclocked, then I dont know.

Tythan

Long time ago, my Xbox 360 gave me RRoD. After leaving it turned off for a couple of hours, i noticed some grafical issues on my TV.

Sent my 360 two times to MS, they sent it back to me with 3 months Gold subscription code, twice. They didn't know what was the problem.

...Wanna know the lesson?

Maybe it's just your monitor.

And I was really dumb, too.

Top Bottom