• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Henry Cavill says heading up the Warhammer 40,000 cinematic universe is 'the greatest privilege of my professional career'

Draugoth

Gold Member

"It is the greatest privilege of my professional career to have this opportunity," Cavill said of the big-budget Warhammer 40,000 project, which he will both produce and star in. "I can't say too much, again it's early days still, but to have this opportunity to bring it to the screen and be at the tiller so it can be faithful, is key to me.

"This is the stuff I've been dealing with since I was a kid. This is the stuff I spend my free time daydreaming about, as an adult as well. And I get to bring it into life. And there is no greater reason that I joined the industry than doing something like this, and I'm very happy to be here."

His comments might come off to the casual observer as those of a guy trying to make lemons into a fine English ale, but Henry's Warhammer fandom is legitimate and well-documented. He spent his quarantine time during the early days of the Covid-19 pandemic painting Warhammer miniatures; he has a little cameo in Total War: Warhammer 2; he interrupts interviews to talk about Warhammer; and if you happen to get a Warhammer reference wrong, he will politely but firmly correct you. So when Henry says he really is just that jazzed to be doing a Warhammer thing, even after unexpectedly losing two high-profile gigs over the span of just a few months, you kinda have to believe him.

via PCGamer

I like Cavill from what I have seen of him and I do think he is a legitimate fan of Warhammer 40,000.

But, I don't trust anything like this coming out nowadays. The people above and around Henry Cavill are going to make demands and it's just going to end up as another stinker unfortunately.

Stuart360

I like Cavill from what I have seen of him and I do think he is a legitimate fan of Warhammer 40,000.

But, I don't trust anything like this coming out nowadays. The people above and around Henry Cavill are going to make demands and it's just going to end up as another stinker unfortunately.
Yeah probably but Cavill DOES know Wathammer and 40K inside and out, he's a real nerd on the subject.
He will know whats right and wrong, whether he would have the power to infuence it, who knows.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

This. Isn’t this project backed by Amazon? Chances of him staying true to the source material are Zero.

I feel like you can sense his honesty. He has the same similarities and sincerity in his personality that I see in Terry Cruz. I think they genuinely love doing what they do and are grateful.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Yeah probably but Cavill DOES know Wathammer and 40K inside and out, he's a real nerd on the subject.
He will know whats right and wrong, whether he would have the power to infuence it, who knows.
Yup this right here is important,for this to actually work,he needs to have the power to influence decisions over the loudmouths that are gonna make the wrong decisions. Otherwise we'll just get another Witcher situation.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just pray to the Emperor that this show doesn't get Witcher'd by a bunch of talentless hacks constantly overruling Cavill.

Superman is a bigger career highlight I would assume.

Cavill was done dirty several times during his time as Superman, he probably doesn't have a lot of fond memories of the overall experience.

Last edited:

Braag

There's only so much one actor can do. He also loved the Witcher books and games and knew them better than most in the production of the show, but the showrunners around him were idiots. I hope this fares better.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I thought after what happened with Witcher he got specific agreements in writing to have that exact influence before he even signed onto the Warhammer project. Maybe that was wishful thinking on my part.

Last edited:

YCoCg

There's only so much one actor can do. He also loved the Witcher books and games and knew them better than most in the production of the show, but the showrunners around him were idiots. I hope this fares better.
Exactly, Cavil is a real one when it comes to geek culture but sadly and frustratingly others around him want to "fix" the source material instead.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Homer Simpson Nerd GIF

I would tell him to his face and then say me too bro. Me too.

T8SC

He wasn't a producer, or executive producer of The Witcher series, he liked the source material (books & games) but had no real power. With the Warhammer series, he's an executive producer and this was part of the contract so that the storylines stayed true to whichever source material it was from. So there's less chance of what happened with The Witcher, happening here.

This. Isn’t this project backed by Amazon? Chances of him staying true to the source material are Zero.
Games Workshop may be a hit-or-miss judge of character when it comes to picking dev teams for Warhammer videogames, but even shitty 40k games hit the aesthetics of 40k to a T. They keep a tight leash over the IP itself.

So far GW hasn't fallen to Wokeness, they gave us the most over-the-top baddass walking war crime that is the Adepta Sororitas when the cultural marxists came calling last time. GW has told more than one pile of money to fuck-off over the years for attempting to meddle in their creative control.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I hope Black Library authors are heavily involved, or just writing it themselves.

Take what you want from this, but I know that the Black Library authors haven't been contacted about contributing story to the project... so far.

I will be very, very worried about the whole thing if that doesn't change. And I hope Henry (who is a massive fan of people like Dan Abnett, Graham McNeill and Guy Haley) will insist on their inclusion on the writing staff.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Take what you want from this, but I know that the Black Library authors haven't been contacted about contributing story to the project... so far.

I will be very, very worried about the whole thing if that doesn't change. And I hope Henry (who is a massive fan of people like Dan Abnett, Graham McNeill and Guy Haley) will insist on their inclusion on the writing staff.
He said it is still in very early days so I’m guessing that will happen. I sure hope so at least.

I just finished the Saturine today actually. Was a fantastic book.

Games Workshop may be a hit-or-miss judge of character when it comes to picking dev teams for Warhammer videogames, but even shitty 40k games hit the aesthetics of 40k to a T. They keep a tight leash over the IP itself.

So far GW hasn't fallen to Wokeness, they gave us the most over-the-top baddass walking war crime that is the Adepta Sororitas when the cultural marxists came calling last time. GW has told more than one pile of money to fuck-off over the years for attempting to meddle in their creative control.
Unfortunately it's only a matter of a short time before it goes the Sweet Baby Incorporated route. In fact, I would say in 5 years or less we'll be seeing official female Space Marines.

Sorry I'm a pessimist but I've been around long enough to know how things go like this. I've had a front row seat since 2014.

Plus, you can go to Twitter and see all the arguments and divide between the woke and anti-woke Warhammer 40,000 fans. With all that happening you can guess who GW is going to side with and appeal to.

Edit: oh balls, Torrent got banndeded?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Unfortunately it's only a matter of a short time before it goes the Sweet Baby Incorporated route. In fact, I would say in 5 years or less we'll be seeing official female Space Marines.

Sorry I'm a pessimist but I've been around long enough to know how things go like this. I've had a front row seat since 2014.

Bear in mind GW is British. We're not quite down the rabbit hole of woke stupidity as bad as the US, thankfully. It's a thing... but not as bad a thing.

Also remember GW is a publicly floated company on the UK stock market. And that stock price depends on plastic crack selling well. I don't think they'll jeopardise their in-built core audience for the sake of points with non fans. At least I hope not.

The Tv show/ movies will essentially act as sales pitches for the product that actually makes them the money, so I'd be equally surprised to see it getting the woke treatment - and again, its Amazon Studios UK who are heading this up, not the bunch of wackjobs out in LA.

Top Bottom