• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden Gems for Xbox 360

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Hello GAF, I would like to ask you one question: What are hidden gems for the Xbox 360 in your opinion?

You can post anything that actually is considered hidden by critics or the public (sales). Keep in mind though, that I have about 180+ games for the 360, so its a little difficult for me to find games I'm interested in.

I'll begin with an obvious choice (which kinda makes it "un"hidden, but whatever): Deadly Premonition. The Gameplay is not amazing, but it works well enough. Its basically a poor mans RE4. In terms of tech the game is lackluster too. What makes it though is everything else. Its super charming and I had a blast playing it. Newcomers should get new weapons and upgrade your car as quickly as possible though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy. Tons of CAVE plus other great shmups

Espgaluda II

Raiden Fighters Aces

Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu / Resurrection

Bullet Soul Infinite Burst

Eschatos

Guwange

Pink Sweets

Muchi Muchi Pork

Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga are well-known enough nowadays but they are both shmups worth mentioning because they're on 360 XBLA, too.

Flintty

I was gonna say Shadow Complex but beaten by stranno stranno

Quality game that seemed to come out of nowhere for me, which I always described as the ‘best arcade game ever’. Hah, remember when small and indie games were called ‘arcade’.

the other that springs to mind is Condemned. Not exactly a hidden gem but a surprise gem nonetheless.

stranno

Quality game that seemed to come out of nowhere for me, which I always described as the ‘best arcade game ever’. Hah, remember when small and indie games were called ‘arcade’.
XBOX Live Arcade Games can be considered as AAA games compared to the XBOX Live Indie Games market :messenger_tears_of_joy:

There are still some fun games there, among those crazy 3398 releases.

The original Halfbrick's Rocket Racing was launched as an XBLIG, before the full release on Playstation Portable (one of my favourite games on the system).

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
The best hidden gems are from the indie program. There is so many. Unfortunately you can't get them anymore unless already purchased.

-Ougon Musou
-Rumble Roses XX
-Vanilla Ninja Gaiden 2 (the best version)
-Guardian Heroes remake
-Ninety nine nights
-Ninety nine nights 2
-The dishwasher (first one)
-Magna carta 2
-Bloodforge
-Tenchu Z
-Blue Dragon
-Lost Odyssey
-Alan Wake
-Project Gotham Racing 3
-Project Gotham Racing 4

These are some of my favorites, but has much more...

The Outfit was one of the best games for me in the early days, had a cool split screen multiplayer mode too. Surprisingly cheap to pick up on somewhere like eBay nowadays

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Rainbow Six Vegas 2, the terrorist hunt, the talk of that generation was Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, but there was R6V2 a big game but its fair to say its greatest flaw is not living up to Call of Duty, Gears of War etc. there was a time where I put 300+ hours into the game, I'll never forget the customization, coop and Vegas baby. The cover system is tremendous btw.

Miles708

Some Xbox Live Arcade games were particularly awesome, it's a pity most of them never came out in physical form:

The first one is Ilomilo
boxartlg_jpg_300x300_q85.jpg

It's a charming, comfy, brilliant and mind-bending 3D puzzle game, the goal is to re-unite both Ilo and Milo in each level, by alternately moving them on every floor, wall and ceiling of this cube-shaped world. It also has wonderful aestetics and a gorgeous 60fps graphics. The closest thing in this gen would be Unravel.
Also, the music is like hearing an old gramphone, it's instantly cozy.

The second is Charlie Murder
CharlieMurderBoxArt.png

Now, i have 2 confessions to make:
1: i love beat'em ups
2: i hate almost every beat 'em up came out in the last 10 years...
...except Charlie Murder. The software house is best known for Salt and Sanctuary, but I feel this is their best game (and worst-selling) to date.
It has an awesome rhythm, tremedous customization, great variety, and it's just 100% pure fun. I loved it A LOT.

Lastly: Battleblock Theater
apps.28274.68304445126679873.a2216d0f-4e39-4406-9c31-916e1bc4ec91.426788a2-dab9-4368-a610-68c8653ca278

From the guys who made Castle Crashers (which I instantly hated, as of point #2 above), Battleblock Theater it's an hilarious 2D puzzle game set in a theatre run by murderous cats.
It can be difficult but every type obstacle, trap and enemy answers to the game's internal "coherence" so that it soon becomes ultra-intuitive to understand how to pass every section, at least in theory. It also has an awesome voiceover for the announcer (always out of screen) commenting your every fail. Stylish, hilarious and really, REALLY well done.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I've always found it surprising how no one talks about Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine. I can't even remember the last time I saw it mentioned anywhere. Sure, it's not the best 3rd person shooter of all time, but the combat is so satisfying and fun. I fucking love that game.
Hell yeah. Fantastic game, finished it on my 360 with glee. Was fresh enough gears formula without being Gears.

9542053981_aa7ab9f9c5_o.gif

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Alan Wake - gameplay fantastic, different from the spam of shooters, nice story and great use of fog instead of making everything so dark just to make you lost(RE2 remake could take a lesson from it).

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts - Let me be clear, the gameplay isn't what I call good or inovative. The "built your own shit" is terrible and time consuming. But the stages are so pretty. You could simply ignore the stupid challenges and simply fly/drive all over the stages. Because they are mostly big yet charming, you can be surprised by what you might find exploring. This game has a heck of potential for its time.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Gold Member
The only hidden gem I would add, which hasn’t already been said previously, would be Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. I loved the demo and picked it up immediately. It was one of the last games added to the BC list before the program ended and was the only reason that I kept my 360 connected.

Last edited:

stitch1

Darkness_cover.jpg

7100irEaqFL._AC_SX215_.jpg

These are my two go to answers for the 360. Riddick received more attention as time went on. But The Darkness never seems to get too much love. I would give Prey an honorable mention as well. I don't feel Prey was all that hidden of gem but if you missed it go back and play it.

Last edited:

Alx

A car combat game called Full Auto.

Odly, the sequel only came out on PS3.

51RV4F4HY6L._AC_.jpg

Yup, one of my favourite games of the console. And one of the first too.
I remember showing off my brand new 360 to my brother, on most games like DOA3 or Perfect Dark he was all "meh, more of the same...", but as soon as we started shooting stuff in Full Auto he said "wow now THAT is fun !".
I wish the game was digital and BC to be able to play it on X1.

Hypereides

Gold Member
The best hidden gems are from the indie program. There is so many. Unfortunately you can't get them anymore unless already purchased.

giphy.gif

Words can not express how much distaste I have for the online/digital only future when so many titles are quickly becoming unavailable.

So many great games listed above, and they cover all genres. These games are the reason that I think last gen was the best gen, even though I’ve been playing games since the Atari 2600.

Frankly I think the 7th gen was originally built/designed to be futureproof, with more longevity than it got. The current consoles that succeeded it didn't really actually add anything new.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
@ The Bloody-Nine The Bloody-Nine

oh the irony. I just got the game in my mail while you were writing that response. and yes, its very fun but I'm still at the beginning.
3wm5cic4.png

sorry for the poor image quality.

For now I can say, that Ridge Racer 6 and The Club are great games and pretty much hidden. Yes, RR6 aint exactly a big seller and most of the fanbase is on Playstation anyways, so yes I'd say it counts. Both games are vastly different but also very similiar. They got this arcade like, basic, straight to fun, no BS approach, which is kinda rare these days. There is no story, no lengthy tutorial, no leveling up useless stats, no cluttered campaign etc. and I love it. Thats my favorite type of game. Simple, but thats what makes those games so compelling. They are pick up and play to the max, but it still gives you a challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom