• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden gems in Sonic Gems collection: Streets of Rage + more?

Jonnyram

According to a Japanese retailer blog, Sonic Gems Collection contains a number of hidden games. The only game listed in the blog entry is the MD version of Bare Knuckle (i.e. Streets of Rage), but it does say there are quite a few hidden titles. There's a possible link between the Knuckles in Sonic and Bare Knuckle too, but we don't have much to go on either way, regarding the other titles.

http://green.ap.teacup.com/miamo/464.html

Himuro said:
PUT NIGHTS ON SONIC MEGA COLLECTION 2 PLZ

I hate to break your hopes up, but Nights, being a CD-based Saturn game(I'm guessing between 500 and 600 MBs large), would be too difficult to fit onto a disc that already contains Sonic R, Sonic the Fighters, and Sonic CD.

But Nights will eventually be re-released in some form, one day. Sega will succomb to the pleas.

duckroll

SonicMegaDrive said:
I hate to break your hopes up, but Nights, being a CD-based Saturn game(I'm guessing between 500 and 600 MBs large), would be too difficult to fit onto a disc that already contains Sonic R, Sonic the Fighters, and Sonic CD.

But Nights will eventually be re-released in some form, one day. Sega will succomb to the pleas.

Too difficult to fit onto a disc that can hold 4.5 gig? :lol :lol :lol

RE: Nights

Add to the above reasons the fact that no Saturn Emulator has ever worked perfectly and at an acceptable speed on anything less than a super-PC, and you have an idea why we won't see this game as a "hidden gem".

If we ever see Nights again it'll have to be re-coded for whatever hardware it's on.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I think there would be plenty of room for Nights. I know for a fact that Sonic CD took up considerably less than half of a CD. I seriously doubt that the other games took up an entire CD.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
RE: Nights

Add to the above reasons the fact that no Saturn Emulator has ever worked perfectly and at an acceptable speed on anything less than a super-PC, and you have an idea why we won't see this game as a "hidden gem".

I don't know why....but I seem to recall Sega developing a fully functional Saturn emu for the PC in Japan for some obscure reason but I don't think it was ever released. And Sega would know more about the Saturn than anyone else so if anyone could develop an emu it would be them.

They licensed Giri-Giri, a fan-made Saturn emu that had made decent progress. (Just like they had licensed KGen before.) Pretty sure they used it for PC releases of games like Panzer Dragoon.

NiGHTS I can see being held back for something more important (a brand new NiGHTS game with the original and Christmas demo playable?), but instead of games like Bare Knuckle, why not SegaSonic Arcade? It's an amusing 3-player game, trackball based, but it'd convert well to an analogue stick...

OK, I did a little bit of 'research'.

You could conceivably have a collection that contains Sonic CD, Sonic R, Sonic the Fighters, Nights, and a few other games and still have enough room for some extras.

My math:

Sonic CD w/ audio - 165 MBs

Sonic R w/audio - 107 MBs

Sonic the Fighters - 64 Mbs

Nights w/audio - 456 Mbs

Total: 792 Mbs/1.5 GBs

I was dead wrong.

Well, if you were really hard up to play Nights, used Saturns go for about 20 bucks nowadays. And a used copy of Nights can be had for less than 10 bucks. So, that's about the same cost as a brand-new budget title for a modern system.

HCgamer said:
Which version of Sonic CD will be on the disc?

SHOULD be both!

But if I was a betting man, I'd say the Japanese and Euro versions will have the Japanese STs, and the American version will have the American ST.

SKOPE

It's based on the Windows version. If anything, that points to American soundtrack only.

If anything. Hopefully Sega will have the sense to include both soundtracks worldwide.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
SKOPE said:
It's based on the Windows version. If anything, that points to American soundtrack only.

If anything. Hopefully Sega will have the sense to include both soundtracks worldwide.

Keep hoping.

bjork

SonicMegaDrive said:
Well, if you were really hard up to play Nights, used Saturns go for about 20 bucks nowadays. And a used copy of Nights can be had for less than 10 bucks. So, that's about the same cost as a brand-new budget title for a modern system.

you could say the same thing about any old title.

I'd just rather see it as a standalone if it may increase the chances of a sequel. After all if sales of a NiGHTS rerelease were high, it might get the ball rolling, while being part of a compilation makes it hard to tell the exact reason for the sales.

Not that it would really affect anything anyway, but it's nice to dream.

CO_Andy

It's a GCN exclusive (most likely temporarily).

Now, i'd give ANYTHING for a NiGHTS sequel, but Mr. Naka's intentions these days are dishing out mor Sonic spin-offs and whatnot (hell, it's keeping the company alive).

AniHawk

But you wouldn't get SONIC R, SONIC THE FIGHTERS, OR SONIC CD with NiGHTS and a Saturn for $30.

Besides, the GC/PS2 controller >>>> Saturn controller (for 3D games).

Also, my saturn only runs on internal memory. Neither memory cart fucking works. >: (

jgkspsx

NiGHTS used its own custom controller, the 3D hockey puck. I'd much rather use it for NiGHTS than the Cube controller.

jgkspsx said:
NiGHTS used its own custom controller, the 3D hockey puck. I'd much rather use it for NiGHTS than the Cube controller.

Nostalga can be a funny thing. I was saying the same thing for sometime, but then I went back and used the Saturn analog brick ... lets just say it's not as great as I remembered it to be.

CO_Andy said:
It's a GCN exclusive (most likely temporarily).

Now, i'd give ANYTHING for a NiGHTS sequel, but Mr. Naka's intentions these days are dishing out mor Sonic spin-offs and whatnot (hell, it's keeping the company alive).

I think Naka's intentions is to avoid making a sequel to NiGHTS since he knows the original team is no longer together. I think he knows given ST's current crop of games that the results aren't going to be pretty.

SolidSnakex said:
I think Naka's intentions is to avoid making a sequel to NiGHTS since he knows the original team is no longer together. I think he knows given ST's current crop of games that the results aren't going to be pretty.

He said it was going to be made when the technology is right. Revolution's proposed gyro controller could be perfect for that. In fact, I think the special controller for the second that was once in development for Dreamcast was based off of the same thing.

Chances are slim though that we will ever see NiGHTS 2. Or even a port of the original. A lot of people probably wouldn't mind checking it out and this collection would be great to put it in.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Kulock said:
But the Sonic Next-Gen tech demo had promise, even though it wasn't really a "full" game, just a showpiece...

Mate. It looked ass. Just fucking Hi Res Sonic Adventure. Same shitty models. Big fucking deal. Let's have Sonic Adventure (the first one) style world design and way more levels and a more innovative linking between them (going from one level to another, but through the city which would actually be mid-level of another level if you get my drift). Also the speed boost feature from Sonic DS. Then I'm happy.

Top Bottom