• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High res Halo 2 trailer on Imax in San Jose

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/22/news_6101088.html

Imagine playing your favorite multiplayer console game with your friends on your tiny kitchen or dorm room television set. Now imagine playing that game on a giant IMAX screen. On July 23, the Maxgames videogame tournament will be bringing that fantasy to life at the IMAX Dome in San Jose, California.

The tournament itself will involve nine games across three platforms, with the finalists for Super Monkey Ball 2, NASCAR Thunder 2004, SSX 3, Mario Kart Double Dash, Downhill Domination, and Halo duking it out on a 40’ by 60’ projection screen in the IMAX Dome for the championship. And every power slide and shotgun blast will be brought to ear-crunching life on the theater’s 13,000 watt, 44-speaker sound system.

Other attractions at the third annual event include chats with game developers about the industry, the two creators of the popular Red vs. Blue series, and a high-res presentation of the Halo 2 trailer, also shown on the IMAX screen. Winners will receive a Pyramat PM 300 Sound System, but all players will get to watch the final matches in the IMAX theater.

The tournament is hosted by the San Jose Tech Museum of Innovation. Entry is $25 per game, $15 with a museum membership. Rules, a full list of games, and entry forms are available at the Tech Museum Web site.

Hmm...tempted to go!

http://www.thetech.org/maxgames/

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I don't know much about IMAX projection tech...would the images look good, or would they be really badly upsampled?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
anyone remember the old cineplex odeon meltdown competitions? The ones where participants would play SNES on the big screen? I wonder how many people went blind after that... :p

I'd probably just go to watch if I was in the San Jose area.

I wonder the same thing human is though... Videogames on a regular video projector are already pretty blown up.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm maybe I should go stay with my dad for a couple of days and throw down on some Double Dash. :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
olimario said:
Lack of smash makes oli shed a tear

Maxgames 2004 Games, Rules & Ratings

* Tony Hawk 4
* DDR: Max 2
* Downhill Domination
* Mario Kart Double Dash
* Super Smash Brothers Melee
* Super Monkey Ball 2
* NASCAR Thunder 2004
* Halo
* SSX 3

Games and rules are tentative. Check back one week before gameday for final version. . We've also drafted up rules of conduct for players and spectators. Please take a look, as these will help ensure that we have fair play and a great experience for all competitors and spectators during the day/evening! If you have any comments or questions, please send a note to maxgames@thetech.org

http://www.thetech.org/maxgames/rules.cfm

Mairu

My friend won the ssbm tourney at one of the past maxgames tourneys at the imax

I probably will go to this if I don't have anything else planned by that time

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
2 Player, Vs. mode, 150cc. Each player has 1 minute to choose their characters and kart. Players will compete in 3 races. The courses are Luigi Circuit, Peach Beach, and Dry Dry Desert in the Mushroom Cup. (Note: Players should skip Baby Park) Player who wins 2 out 3 advances.

Shit those courses are easy too

Tenguman said:
Indeed. I guess they don't want people barfing all over?

teh weaksauce gamers

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Wario64 said:
2 Player, Vs. mode, 150cc. Each player has 1 minute to choose their characters and kart. Players will compete in 3 races. The courses are Luigi Circuit, Peach Beach, and Dry Dry Desert in the Mushroom Cup. (Note: Players should skip Baby Park) Player who wins 2 out 3 advances.

Shit those courses are easy too
WTF those are the worst courses in the game. They should have at least left in baby park :( I would have owned some people with the endless powerslide.

I want some yoshi speedway action.

human5892 said:
I don't know much about IMAX projection tech...would the images look good, or would they be really badly upsampled?

Upsampled to hell, unless they got a rig that can run HL2 @3840x2400. I think IMAX is actually higher than that, but don't quote me.

Jesiatha

Shogmaster said:
Upsampled to hell, unless they got a rig that can run HL2 @3840x2400. I think IMAX is actually higher than that, but don't quote me.

Which would be entirely possible with a little development work (and of course it wouldn't run in real time). However, I suspect Bungie is instead spending all their effort right now on finishing the game.

Top Bottom