• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeland Security now acknowledges deported DREAMer had protective status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

The Department of Homeland Security reversed itself Wednesday saying that a young man, identified by USA TODAY as the first DREAMer to be deported by the Trump administration, had valid protective status despite its earlier claim.

On Tuesday, the department said its records showed the protective status of Juan Manuel Montes, 23, expired in 2015. On Wednesday, the department said that status was in fact valid until 2018.

Montes, who was deported from Southern California to his native Mexico in February, had been protected from deportation under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program created by President Barack Obama for so-called DREAMers, undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as children.

On Wednesday, the department said he lost that status because he left the United States without permission and was caught trying to re-enter the country. DACA enrollees must be approved to travel outside the U.S.

However, attorneys for Montes said the only reason he tried to re-enter the country is because he had been deported by Customs and Border Protection two days earlier.

"Juan Manuel has been unequivocal in his assertion that he never voluntarily left the country while he had DACA," said Nora Preciado, an attorney with the National Immigration Law Center, which is helping in Montes' lawsuit against the Trump administration. "Rather than continue to provide half-truths and varying assertions, the Department of Homeland Security should respond to our request for documentation. We will see them in court."

Montes' case has received international attention because President Trump had pledged to exempt people enrolled in the DACA program from being deported under his tougher enforcement policies toward undocumented immigrants.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions told Fox News earlier in the day that the federal government is not rounding up DACA enrollees for deportations, but made clear that they face the possibility.

"DACA enrollees are not being targeted. I don't know why this individual was picked up," Sessions said, referring to Montes. "The policy is that people are here unlawfully are subject to being deported. We can't promise people who are here unlawfully that they aren't going to be deported."

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rted-dreamer-had-protective-status/100647846/

Ooops...

Edit: Judge denigrated by Trump as 'Mexican' will hear key deportation case: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/20/politics/juan-manuel-montes-bojorquez-judge-curiel/index.html

Amir0x

Banned
Everyone associated with this administration are grotesque monsters, from Trump himself to Sessions all the way down to his most ill-informed voter. News at eleven.

Enabling this administration in any way is complicity. It's a damn shame we're forced to pay taxes to fund horrors like this.

Lkr

"I don't know why"

Party of personal accountability and all that. Imagine if your boss had to stand up and explain something to the building and all he said was "I don't know why". What a fucking farce

mcfrank

They are going to keep doing this in bigger and bigger waves until the public can't keep protesting each case and it becomes the new normal. They truly are horrible people.

Tovarisc

Surprised Steve KKKing's tweet had not been posted.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveKingIA/status/854465237977710593

Steve King‏ @SteveKingIA

First non-valedictorian DREAMer deported. Border Patrol, this one's for you.

Followed by a picture of a beer.

Screencap, just because you never know if they try clean up their shit.

xeftO9f.png

Surprised Steve KKKing's tweet had not been posted.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveKingIA/status/854465237977710593

Steve King‏ @SteveKingIA

First non-valedictorian DREAMer deported. Border Patrol, this one's for you.

Followed by a picture of a beer.

"Guy isn't at the very top of his graduating class, so he deserves to be deported."

And the implied "Even the top students of their graduating classes deserve to get deported," too.

Fucking scum.

"We're not targeting protected immigrants, we're just really bad at our job" - Jeff Sessions

Why would that make me feel better?

Karkador

Banned
"DACA enrollees are not being targeted. I don't know why this individual was picked up," Sessions said, referring to Montes. "The policy is that people are here unlawfully are subject to being deported. We can't promise people who are here unlawfully that they aren't going to be deported."

Weasely words here.

A DACA enrollee is still technically "here unlawfully", so while they claim they wont go down a list of DACA applicants and deport, the truth is that if the increasingly inept and corrupt Customs and Border Patrol agents come across someone who they can deport, and they feel like deporting them, they will, effectively making the policy useless.

BasicMath

Terrible mistake.
My hope is that immigration enforcement and reform will prevent this from happening. I hope the Reps can get something done about it.

Hey get ready for a big payout
Give someone an opportunity, get sued by them later? That's messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom