• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot stuff: Volcano erupts in Mexico

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Volcano Popocatepetl has been erupting violently most of my Sunday.
Friday the 19th I woke up to a graphite-like powder on everything. Videos from the 19th and 20th show how intense the eruptions have been. Last night it went to another level though. We heard the explosion early morning and woke up to a greyish-white city. Everything is coated under ash. First time in my 7-years abroad seeing an eruption fall out of this scale.

The above blog can be translated easily into English. There are English articles floating out there but that's from Friday. I guess GAF gets the news sooner than other places.

This site uploaded pretty good night shot of the eruptions. I'll share my own photos and videos of the ash fall below.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
A few days prior. I took these on a bike ride.

e4HTBQk.jpg
9Fbp2tN.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Holy moly man. I'm glad you're okay relatively. Hope it's the end of it and it'll rain soon. Great video.

.... wow.....

On a positive note great garden with the bird sounds... sorry noticed it
We're good. It may rain tonight. The eruptions were something else. You can find the shortened videos of a few of the in the OP. Here are stills taken from the 19th - 21st (last night)
K6g5w3F.jpg
h7RRRGc.jpg
xSh7GHn.jpg
SfqgUkO.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Hope all is well!
We're good. I'm not going out today though. Streets are under a couple centimeters of ash and flat lying areas a few mms. However, I'm sure air intakes on our CR-V would not handle well suctioning that ash in. Best to wait for the rain to flood it out.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
We're good. I'm not going out today though. Streets are under a couple centimeters of ash and flat lying areas a few mms. However, I'm sure air intakes on our CR-V would not handle well suctioning that ash in. Best to wait for the rain to flood it out.

Yes, friend... the best thing is to stay today. Once, years ago, ashes fell in Mexico City, but not much happened. But if it is seen that it is in greater volcanic activity.

CGNoire

Volcano Popocatepetl has been erupting violently most of my. Friday the 19th I woke up to a graphite-like powder on everything. Videos from the 19th and 20th show how intense the eruptions have been. Last night it went to another level though. We heard the explosion early morning and woke up to a greyish-white city. Everything is coated under ash. First time in my 7-years abroad seeing an eruption fall out of this scale.

The above blog can be translated easily into English. There are English articles floating out there but that's from Friday. I guess GAF gets the news sooner than other places.

This site uploaded pretty good night shot of the eruptions. I'll share my own photos and videos of the ash fall below.

Dude get yourself a respirator stat. Like seriously inhaleing volcanic ash is like inhaling fiberglass. Its super dangerous for your health.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
tdqL6Xw.jpg

Coffee looked pretty bad. You can see the soot and grain on the edges. That weird film floating toward the surface is the lighter weight compound in the ash. Upon rising out and cleaning, the more toxic had sunken to the bottom.

Lakes, ponds and uncovered water plants would be completely polluted by this.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Pretty cool getting a live update from a member, stay safe!
It'd be cool if someone else lived nearby one too.

Updates so far: Benito Juarez International and my local airports have cancelled all flights. BJI has people stuck in the gates from all over the world too.

Locally, (I live in the largest city near the base)
ash fall at a steady rate still. Over an inch accumulated in low lying terrain and 1.4 cm anywhere else.

I'll take advantage and share some photos I took prior to this eruption below

Both photos taken outside my office.
KY6jzwl.jpg
8r87LU7.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
We knew this was coming though. There have been these mini eruptions since April. May has been something else. These videos acquired by AP were all from earlier last week.

For those wondering...tourists and local climbers (which do this despite it being prohibited by the local goverment) have climbed to the crater. And my wife recalls some German tourists getting 'fried' in the 2000s.

Anyway, update now. A rather powerful thunderstorm is passing through with rain. It's night but clean up will be fun 🙄

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Stay safe to those affected, but that is stunning imagery.
Maybe not fair to mention that they kept power, internet and fresh water running to people like myself because we live in more yuppie parts of the city.

The ouyskirts is something else. Their water was contaminated, power may have been cut and many are put in "shelters." The city doesn't really invest into actual shelters though. Which means sleeping on the floor of a goverment owned event center or stadium. News networks refuse to cover any of that either.

The best we can take from this is the imagery. Nature puts on some amazing shows. Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage I would have posted in one of those weather threads but it seemed a bit of it's own topic too.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
tdqL6Xw.jpg

Coffee looked pretty bad. You can see the soot and grain on the edges. That weird film floating toward the surface is the lighter weight compound in the ash. Upon rising out and cleaning, the more toxic had sunken to the bottom.

Lakes, ponds and uncovered water plants would be completely polluted by this.

Yup. That's instant coffee for you.

Poor joke aside, that's nasty and I reckon it didn't take long for that result..

Stay safe Happosai Happosai & Mexico

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Maybe not fair to mention that they kept power, internet and fresh water running to people like myself because we live in more yuppie parts of the city.

The ouyskirts is something else. Their water was contaminated, power may have been cut and many are put in "shelters." The city doesn't really invest into actual shelters though. Which means sleeping on the floor of a goverment owned event center or stadium. News networks refuse to cover any of that either.

The best we can take from this is the imagery. Nature puts on some amazing shows. Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage I would have posted in one of those weather threads but it seemed a bit of it's own topic too.
Glad to hear you are safe brother. Please keep the thread updated as thing progress. :messenger_heart:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yup. That's instant coffee for you.

Poor joke aside, that's nasty and I reckon it didn't take long for that result..

Stay safe Happosai Happosai & Mexico
Something about volcanic eruptions and having these extremely powerful thunderstorms. The amount of energy in that lightening was something else. I figured with all the rain (which started after 9PM) would wash away 'most' of the ash. Nope. Still going to need to rain about 5 times more before regular cleanup can begin.
Glad to hear you are safe brother. Please keep the thread updated as thing progress. :messenger_heart:
Will keep you updated. Imagine if that volcano blew it's top? Now that'd be a story. This is the first time I've seen it drop such a large amount of ash in a day. There've been like 2-3 eruptions daily since the first week of the month. They increased last Monday. A cleaner stopped by and had manage to sweep up (with hazmat wear) a bag of it. As you could imagine; this stuff is like hauling bricks. Who knows what it will do to the sewage system...like a giant soot turd.

It'd be cool if someone else lived nearby one too.

Updates so far: Benito Juarez International and my local airports have cancelled all flights. BJI has people stuck in the gates from all over the world too.

Locally, (I live in the largest city near the base)
ash fall at a steady rate still. Over an inch accumulated in low lying terrain and 1.4 cm anywhere else.

I'll take advantage and share some photos I took prior to this eruption below

Both photos taken outside my office.
KY6jzwl.jpg
8r87LU7.jpg
That mountain looks cool af

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Stay safe out there OP. Mehico is one combustive country, it's only a matter of time before something pops.
Ring of fire and we're certainly in it. Our volcano had a relatively inactive stage until the 90's. I'm not sure it's ready to blow it's top though. USGS has their own monitoring on the volcano. If they think it's about to go big; we'll see them out here.
That mountain looks cool af
There's one on the Northside of our city too which is even bigger (La Malinche). Now, if that thing wakes up -- we're screwed. It's been 'dormant' for about a millennium and we're hoping it stays that way.
According to the 100% true and accurate documentary, Joe versus the Volcano, human sacrifice is the only answer.

Tom Hanks wouldn't lie, would he?
hvak86Z.jpg
Well...every time tourists decide to summit don Goyo (one of the local nicknames)...they make themselves a sacrifice. I can't really think of a time in my 7-years abroad where it wasn't active. That's why climbing toward the summit is forbidden by the government.

Here's an update. So that heavy rain managed to move some of the ash toward drains. However, the storm surge wasn't quite powerful enough in the 1.5-hour period to do much more than spread the ash into 'clumps' in drain ways and gutters. I took a trowel to an area where it settled on our patio and you can see how granulated it is. Anyway, interesting chemical composition in tephra and probably best not to use for tile insulation, kitty litter or a playdough substitute.

bYmYGzX.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Looks like the start of some good concrete.
There's no shortage now. That'd be cool to see someone build a house out of these though. Texture is about like sand more than ash you'd find in a fireplace. It sticks to everything; so I've been using gloves.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This looks straight out of a Souls game. Fantastic pic.
Nothing like it. I grew up in the Midwestern U.S. surrounded by corn fields. Other than pesticide crop dusting...not much to worry about. Most here (myself included) find the volcano more ethereal and beautiful than scary.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Stay safe and don't hang around like those people in Pompeii.
I'm still seeing ash fall (3rd day after). It doesn't appear to be calming but the ash is only a fraction of what it was Sunday.

If I ended up becoming a char body like those who stayed behind in Pompeii...one request to the archeologists here: don't paint my stone body like an Easter egg.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I'm still seeing ash fall (3rd day after). It doesn't appear to be calming but the ash is only a fraction of what it was Sunday.

If I ended up becoming a char body like those who stayed behind in Pompeii...one request to the archeologists here: don't paint my stone body like an Easter egg.
If you do become a fossil I will personally come paint you the colors of your choosing.

Or maybe I will do an American Flag motif.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
If you do become a fossil I will personally come paint you the colors of your choosing.

Or maybe I will do an American Flag motif.
I would just get graffitied. Sorta like a body cast when everyone pulls out a Sharpie and starts writing their notes. It wouldn't surprise me and I wouldn't mind that either. What's a rock man going to do :/

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I would just get graffitied. Sorta like a body cast when everyone pulls out a Sharpie and starts writing their notes. It wouldn't surprise me and I wouldn't mind that either. What's a rock man going to do :/
Give you a "GAFTED" tag and paint your fossil gold.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Give you a "GAFTED" tag and paint your fossil gold.
Just make sure you pick that metallic gold spray paint. Then it'd be GAFTING beyond the grave lol
Volcano ash is the worse nigthmare for cars, you need to be carefully to clean it because otherwise there will be tons of micro scratchs.
That's why we've grounded our vehicles since this started. I don't want to take the risk with pull much of that into the air intake either. It's not so much airborne now but...it's packed into all the roads here. It's been raining heavily at night but not enough to wash it out completely. Consider this...a vast majority of folks here (even those with some of those super expensive cars) left them outdoors when this stuff fell Saturday night.

Top Bottom