• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How an explorer found and lost the world's oldest subway (Atlantic Ave Tunnel NYC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I encourage you to go and watch the video and read the rest of the article. Especially the video since it is well done.

Bob Diamond had been guiding tours in an abandoned subway tunnel under Atlantic Avenue for almost 30 years when he was blindsided by a phone call from a New York Daily News reporter asking him how it felt to get kicked out.

Diamond was confused. His relationship with the city was getting increasingly rocky, but he had a contract for use of the tunnel.

“Look, it’s a misunderstanding,” he told the reporter. “They didn’t kick us out. Why would they?’”

But the reporter was right. The next day, December 17th, 2010, Diamond got a letter from the Department of Transportation (DOT) informing him that his contract had been revoked. The letter included a note from the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) that “strongly recommends … that the present use of the tunnel is discontinued forthwith” due to safety concerns. There was no other explanation.

The Atlantic Avenue Tunnel was sealed in 1861, shortly after Brooklyn banned steam locomotives within city limits. Legend has it that the tunnel was reopened in the 1920s when it was used for mushroom growing and bootlegging, and in the 1940s when the FBI opened it looking for Nazis. But soon after, it was lost. In the 1950s two historians attempted to find it and failed.

When Diamond rediscovered the tunnel in 1980, he was just a 20-year-old engineering student on a scholarship. The media made him a hero. He decided to restore the tunnel for the city instead of taking an engineering job. Gradually he built a career — and an identity — around the 169-year-old underpass.

If you went on one of Diamond’s tours, which ran between 1982 and 2010, you could see why the FDNY was concerned. He’d lug three plastic orange barricades out to the middle of Atlantic Avenue, pry off the manhole cover with a crowbar, and steady a thin ladder into the narrow shaft, the only entrance to the tunnel. Tourists would line up in the middle of the busy road, descending one by one into a tight passageway. It led to an Alice in Wonderland-sized doorway that opened up on a large staircase, built by Diamond and his colleagues in the ‘80s. The stairs lead down into a massive, spooky hall that is 2,570 feet long, 21 feet wide, and 17 feet tall.

The tunnel was built in 1844 as part of the Long Island Railroad, a commuter line that delivered passengers from Boston to New York. The train ran through the riverfront area that is now Brooklyn Heights and Cobble Hill, which soon became the most densely populated part of Brooklyn. The neighborhood’s Court Street and Atlantic Avenue intersection was so thick with pedestrians that a tunnel had to be dug so the locomotive could travel under it without killing any children or livestock. Trains in those days didn’t have good brakes.

The Atlantic Avenue Tunnel holds the Guinness world record for "oldest subway tunnel," predating the Tremont Street subway in Boston from 1897, the 312-foot Beach Pneumatic Transit tunnel in Manhattan from 1869, and the first subway in the London Underground, which was built in 1863. "Trains actually passed through it, preceded by a man on horseback," wrote the Brooklyn Eagle in 1911. "Later [it was] used by smugglers and thieves."

Diamond has wanted the same thing for the tunnel ever since his discovery: to restore the passageway so it can become part of a new trolley line, and to build a museum about the tunnel’s history. He also wants to dig up the locomotive.

With the help of an energetic young attorney named Gabriel Salem, Diamond filed a lawsuit against the DOT and the FDNY in December, 2011 in order to regain access to the tunnel, seeking damages of $35 million. The case has already stretched on for nearly two years. A judge opted to dismiss all but one tiny count of the suit in February, 2013, but Salem filed an appeal in November. Now it’s up to the city to respond.

The city’s sudden crackdown on the tunnel may have had something to do with the changing neighborhood. "When he first started giving this tour, that area of Brooklyn was kind of rundown with abandoned buildings," says Larry Fendrick, who runs SubChat, a forum for "railfans," or train buffs. "The whole neighborhood is completely different now. It’s a lot more upscale than it was 20 years ago."

There’s not much else Diamond can do besides wait for the city’s response to Salem’s appeal. He started a petition to reopen the tunnel for tours, which is up to 674 signatures, mostly Brooklyn residents and railfans who took the tour or were planning to before it got shut down. "It's pretty silly that all of a sudden, the tunnel has become a death trap and needs to be closed for the public good," writes Richard D.

4F0GtgF.jpg

oOTQXtq.jpg

zzpLs5C.jpg

3ewDBsL.jpg

8obycZf.jpg

KynKSpH.jpg

Man, I wish I would have known about this years ago. I love stuff like this and I would have jumped at the chance to go on a tour of the tunnel. It is a shame that the city shut out everyone from the tunnel, but I can understand why they did it.

What I don't understand is why they don't let someone bring the tunnel up to code or have a museum built. This is a historic site and it should be preserved.

pj

Banned
Weird, the entrance is right by the trader joe's I go to all the time.

I hope he wins his lawsuit so I can check it out.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
On youtube there's some audio and pictures from one of his tours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfgK6DM188Q

And an interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CQuFTl7D4s

Apparently the city paid a guy and his company $130,000 to destroy the tunnel from end to end and instead all the guy did was seal off the two ends and write a report saying it was done. :lol

I would have loved to go on this tour, hope he can get a contract going again.

Lol that is amazing. But if it wasn't for him, then we wouldn't have the oldest tunnel today.

Reminds me of the dude paying the guy in China (?) to do his job. Or the guy pretending to me a Fed agent.

I doubt they will give him a contract again. I just want the city to try and get a museum established so people can visit the tunnel safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom