• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can these devs promote a game with a straight face knowing it's complete garbage...?

I've just been watching reviews of Suicide Squad and Skull and bones intertwined with devs bullshitting in promos about the game.

I'm not a game developper myself, but if my boss would ask me to just completely lie in a video that millions will watch and you know there is going to be shit thrown at you and your company after release, I would tell him to do it himself...
I just don't understand how you can submit yourself to being broadcast all around the world in a promo just lying your ass off and smiling while you do it.

Are these devs held at gunpoint or these devs have no backbones??? It just irks me... sorry for rant!

Schmendrick

I've just been watching reviews of Suicide Squad and Skull and bones intertwined with devs bullshitting in promos about the game.

I'm not a game developper myself, but if my boss would ask me to just completely lie in a video that millions will watch and you know there is going to be shit thrown at you and your company after release, I would tell him to do it himself...
I just don't understand how you can submit yourself to being broadcast all around the world in a promo just lying your ass off and smiling while you do it.

Are these devs held at gunpoint or these devs have no backbones??? It just irks me... sorry for rant!
Uh, people lieing on stage to make money is ...new to you?

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member

HAve you heard about politics ?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

If you and your colleagues had been working full time on a project for more than six years, would you be the one to publicly burn it to the ground it in a promotion video?

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Do I hear someone saying Google Stadia?

Think Sesame Street GIF

Last edited:

thief183

The 2 examples you used are not exactly really bad games, Skull and Bones is actually quite good, it just isn't the black flag everyone wants. Even suited squad isn't really a bad game, it is, again, not what ppl wanted. Now if we talk about something like Gollum then, yes I can't understand that too.

The Matrix World GIF by Max

Saber

Gold Member
The 2 examples you used are not exactly really bad games, Skull and Bones is actually quite good, it just isn't the black flag everyone wants.

If you even think hard about that, this should be a thing of concern. Black Flag is a 10 year old game and it isn't supposed to be hard focus on pirate mechanics because its an Assassin Creed first and foremost. But no, the devs behind it went the extra miles probably because they want a top tier game. Skull and Bones took ages to develop and couldn't come closer to a game that isn't really supposed to be pirate game, dimishing that fact explain all why this game fails. Even more when the OP said is very true, the guys behind this stupid game promoted alot of things that aren't in the game. Having a stamina bar for the boat and pay for fast travels tells exactly his point, how can someone implement those mechanics so confidently is beyond me.

Last edited:
Because many of them are incompetent and incompetent people believe that they are good at their jobs.

Also, many of them are bad people. In the case of SS you have a bunch of idiots who have ruined the legacy of former colleagues. In my book, someone who is proud of that is a fucking piece of shit of a person.

IAmRei

Working in big company as front man, can be hard... I never had such experience, but i can relate

nush

Probably because if they spoke out they'd lose their jobs. To be honest I get it.

That's why for movie directors commentaries the ones recorded years after the fact are always better and more candid than the ones made when the film has just been released.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Imagine applying for a position at a new studio, while a video is floating around of you claiming your work, and that of your colleagues sucks.

StereoVsn

"Oh, there ain't no rest for the wicked
Money don't grow on trees
I got bills to pay, I got mouths to feed
There ain't nothin' in this world for free
Oh no, I can't slow down, I can't hold back
Though you know I wish I could
Oh no, there ain't no rest for the wicked
Until we close our eyes for good"

Imagine applying for a position at a new studio, while a video is floating around of you claiming your work, and that of your colleagues sucks.
Yes because that was my point...not.

I'm not saying they should make a video saying the game sucks, they should just refuse to be in a video full of lies...

Hudo

In the case of Skull & Bones, I strongly believe that Ubisoft would've cancelled that game long ago if they could've. But they were contractually obligated to ship something, so they tried to minimize losses by making it a live-service game, I guess.
Edit: That being said, it's fucking wild that they refused to do the obvious, which would've been to just take AC4, remove all the assassins stuff that was shoehorned in anyway, expand the content more (bigger map, more cities, more ships) and add some sort of meta game (fleet management or so). That's what people would've wanted.

In the case of Suicide Squad.... WB management just fucked up.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Are games objectively bad with no redeemable qualities?? I don’t think so.

Am sure devs have some vision around the game how to get the best out of it. You have not reached that point doesn’t mean game has no virtue’s.
Golem and Life of Black tiger says hi.

SSfox

They don't know what good game is, and themselves have no passion or love for gaming. The true passionate people at Rocksteady that understand what gaming is about has left the studio long ago after AK.

Majukun

because they like to keep their jobs?

don't know what you do in life, but if you can afford to just discard it on a whim you are doing either an extremely base level job or you are an overqualified genius that can find jobs at will...either way, not the average experience

I would expect a CEO or whatever to do this, but not the people in the trenches who would take pride in their work if it was any good. People who I expect to still have some morals left.
It could also be that when you’re too involved in a project you don’t see that it sucks as bad as it does because you’ve spent so much time with it and you’ve poured so much into it.

thatJohann

Cause they want their company to do well so they can keep their job?

Hip Hop

It's called selling your soul for money.

People think only the famous or the really wealthy can sell their soul for money.

Regular everyday people sell their soul everyday, for pennies too, and don't even realize it.

Just because you can make money off of something doesn't mean you should.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Lukaku's First Touch Lukaku's First Touch While some of them may be lying, some of them also think that they game isn't actually bad. Either through internal biases, or that they genuinely think that the kind of gameplay they designed is, in fact, good. This goes a long way to show that these kinds of developers aren't very competent at their job, or are extremely out of touch as to what kind of gameplay the rest of us enjoy.

This kind of disconnect becomes especially pernicious for live service style games where monetization is the priority instead of fun, and many time the game is intentionally designed in way that wastes your time in order for you to spend more money. With that kind of design philosophy, the developer's internal quality control leads them to believe that they are doing a good job.

Shit's fucked.

SHA

Just like when wrestlers talking shit and call it heeling, or solders in war like mass effect when making jokes and laugh as if they don't care about what's going on but believe me, they do, you see people laughs at the wrong time, it's normal human behavior and usually they mean the opposite.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
It’s their job? The same shit would happen to an every day low level blue or white collar worker. If I make some parts for a Honda in a factory for 50 hours a week, I’m still expected to uphold the integrity of the plant if I talk about it in public, even if you have to lie. People get fired for not doing so. You do realize these people are paid employees of a company, right OP? Not just people who are volunteering their time for free?

Rat Rage

The concept of capitalism must be new to you... That being said, yeah it sucks. Sadly, humans do all kinds of stupid and despicable shit for money. The AI revolution can't come quick enough to destroy your capitalistic societies, so we'll get the chance to rebuild them better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom