• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I remove a laptop hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Compaq Presario 2500 here that I want to put a new hard drive in. I took the battery out, and removed the screws on the hard drive door thing. I try pulling on the door, but it won't budge. All I can see that I'm doing is bending the plastic. I checked Compaq.com, but they seem to assume no consumer would ever remove a hard drive. Can anyone help me out?

Pimpwerx

Not sure about your specific lappy, but try a little elbow grease. If it's not budging, then maybe you can try removing the entire outer case to have a look. I don't know if this voids warranties though, so proceed with caution. On my Dell, it's located right behind the mic/headphone jacks. It was a bit sticky, buy a little effort got it out of there. Be careful so you don't drop it.

And if I can make a suggestion, look around for a 2.5" HDD enclosure, USB or Firewire. Should be able to find one for under $20 shipped. I got a Hotdrive to put my old 4200rpm drive in, and dropped tha Hitachi 7200rpm drive in my lappy. 1GB of RAM and 60GB @ 7200rpm means I've finally removed all the bog from the system. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom