• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How I broke my DualSense Edge: A Cautionary Tale

Topher

Gold Member
So dropped my DualSense edge a couple of weeks ago and ever since I'm hearing this noise from the inside like a small piece broke off and is loose. Controller works just fine, but damn......that noise.

So rather than just leaving things well enough alone, my dumb ass self decided I was going to crack open this $200 piece of plastic and remove this foul annoyance.

Cut to the chase, I accomplished what I set out to do and removed the plastic. Then I began putting the thing back together. That's when things went sideways.

The replaceable thumbsticks, a major feature of this controller, is held in place by a the black piece of plastic on the underside of the controller. There is also a toggle switch which will pop this plastic out when engaged. That switch has a spring attached to it.

This:

yahQWo8.png

Come to find out, springs are........springy. A wise man would be extra careful when trying to put this spring back where it belongs as anyone who has ever used a rubber band will know quite well what happens when you hold one end, pull back and let go. Even accidentally.

I am no such wise man.

So yeah....this spring sprung and damned if I know where it landed. Finding a replacement online is proving difficult. Thankfully the controller still works. It just looks....

Fathers Day Wedding GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Long story short (too late?)......don't be a dumbass like me. Be careful with that spring.

So dropped my DualSense edge a couple of weeks ago and ever since I'm hearing this noise from the inside like a small piece broke off and is loose. Controller works just fine, but damn......that noise.

So rather than just leaving things well enough alone, my dumb ass self decided I was going to crack open this $200 piece of plastic and remove this foul annoyance.

Cut to the chase, I accomplished what I set out to do and removed the plastic. Then I began putting the thing back together. That's when things went sideways.

The replaceable thumbsticks, a major feature of this controller, is held in place by a the black piece of plastic on the underside of the controller. There is also a toggle switch which will pop this plastic out when engaged. That switch has a spring attached to it.

This:

yahQWo8.png

Come to find out, springs are........springy. A wise man would be extra careful when trying to put this spring back where it belongs as anyone who has ever used a rubber band will know quite well what happens when you hold one end, pull back and let go. Even accidentally.

I am no such wise man.

So yeah....this spring sprung and damned if I know where it landed. Finding a replacement online is proving difficult. Thankfully the controller still works. It just looks....

Fathers Day Wedding GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos's Funniest Home Videos

Long story short (too late?)......don't be a dumbass like me. Be careful with that spring.
I’ve seen that same exact same spring roughly the same size in something else, and I’m absolutely struggling to remember what and it’s driving me nuts lol.

Last edited:

Mikado

Gold Member
So you can get these magnetic... rake ... things from like home depot. Basically a big bar magnet on a stick.

You might be able to find the spring that way. But yes, it is probably best to move on and accept your loss.

I’ve seen that same exact same spring roughly the same size in something else, and I’m absolutely struggling to remember what and it’s driving me nuts lol.

It’s somewhat like a stainless steel ballpoint pen spring with the end loops flattened out:
N5KCdG6.png

Still I remember that same flattened setup with the tighter thicker springs like in the original pic but I just can’t remember where… it‘s like the springs on the back of a guitar for the tremolo bar( whammy bar)...they are built to spring in instead of out…except tiny.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Been there, but with Xbox Elite repairs.

40Oz Pour One Out GIF

Topher

Gold Member
So what does that spring do if it works fine without it? Seems like a waste, springs don't grow on trees!

It is attached to a release latch that holds a plastic cover in place. If you want to replace the thumbsticks, you gotta pop off that cover. You don't have to remove the latch and spring unless you are opening up the controller.

But yeah.....it's just cosmetics.

Edit: actually.....I just remembered that piece of plastic is what holds the controller in place on the damn charger.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom