• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you like to prepare your oatmeal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Half a cup of plain steel-cut oatmeal. 1/2 cup of almond milk. Microwave for 1 minute. Add two teaspoons of honey. Stir.

Good god.

dbztrk

I make mines with steel cut oats cooked on the stove with almond milk. I use agave as my sweetener. I also add berries, flax seed and various nuts.

fancimus

Wow, just finished eating a bowl of multi-grain oatmeal. I made it with coconut milk and a pinch of salt. I usually top it with brown sugar or raspberry jam, but I have some agave nectar so I used that. Pretty great!

I always get maple and brown sugar oatmeal.

Boil it in a pot and add some 2% milk to cool it down a bit after putting it in a bowl.

Hiltz

1/2 cup of Quaker oats (the kind that comes in the large, circular red box)
1/3 cup of water
Add some ground cinnamon
Microwave for 1 minute and 20 seconds

Red

I've been making small batches and splitting it into containers to pull for breakfast throughout the week. Pumpkin, blueberries, toasted almonds, banana, almond butter, chia seeds. Sometimes I bake it, sometimes I leave it soggy.

Iph

Banned
Cinnamon, some kind of nuts (ground flax seed is a good choice), maybe a little honey or maple syrup. Or keep it simple with a little cream and fruit preserves/butter if I don't have it plain.

Almond milk is usually my go-to choice for adding something milk based- but any milk is fine by me when it's in a small amount in oatmeal. They all do the trick, really.

MJPIA

Dump pouch into bowl, fill pouch to dotted line with almond milk and pour in.
Microwave for 1:20.
Let sit for 2 minutes.

1 cup of old-fashioned oats
1 cup of milk
Microwave on 60% power for 4 minutes
Add some cinnamon (probably a teaspoon or two, I'm not sure)
Add a scoop of protein powder (plain or vanilla-flavored)
Put a carton of fruit-flavored Greek yogurt on top

Boom. So good.

Alternatively, throwing some fresh strawberries, bananas, or blueberries in instead of the yogurt is acceptable.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I've been making small batches and splitting it into containers to pull for breakfast throughout the week. Pumpkin, blueberries, toasted almonds, banana, almond butter, chia seeds. Sometimes I bake it, sometimes I leave it soggy.

Mmmmm now I want to start using pumpkin. Your recipe sounds bang bang.

2 tbsp butter or olive oil
1/4 cup steal cut oats
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups water or milk
dash salt

optional additions, mix and match, to taste:
honey
dried fruit
sliced apples
chopped nuts (almonds, macadamia, brazil, pecans, etc.)
peanut butter
maple syrup
brown sugar
more butter / olive oil
plain greek yogurt

In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Toast oats and cinnamon in butter until golden brown (about 2 minutes). Add water / milk and salt. Bring to boil, then simmer uncovered on low heat for ~30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more liquid if needed. After ~30 minutes, add whatever additional ingredients you feel like adding, stir, turn off the heat, cover and let sit five minutes. Eat.

Cool, never really knew much about steel-cut vs rolled oats distinction. I don't even know which I use...basically, the (non-instant) stuff from that Quaker Oats tube.

I basically just cook it slow on medium to low heat until it gets to the consistency I like (which is a bit goopy but the oats are still chewy).

After it's done, stir in some raisins and crushed walnuts. Then add in whatever honey I have on hand.

Azulsky

Irish Oats over lowlow heat for 30ish min after boiling.

Final recipe

1 cup cooked Oats
4 tbsp natural peanut butter
1 scoop chocolate protein powder

t-ramp

1 cup oats
2 cups water (more or less)
Microwave 3 minutes or so
Add brown sugar and a bit of milk

Had some this morning. I don't know why I make this much, it's like double the serving recommendation. Whatever, I can eat it all.

Also made some decent oatmeal cookies a couple weeks ago.

1/2 cup steel cut oats uncooked, 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh or frozen fruit

OR

1/2 cup oats, 1 cup whole milk, microwave 1 min 30 sec, mix in fruit or honey/brown sugar.

leakey

Oats cooked with almond milk. Throw in some peanut butter and honey, alongside a cup of black coffee, and I'm happy all morning.

Kiraly

100g of oatmeal
250ml full fat cold milk
50g of peanut butter
2 banana's

1000 kcal breakfast right there

Imm0rt4l

All kinds of ways. Cinnamon rollnoats. Red velvet cake oats. Pb, chocolate and banana oats. Just chocolate. Whey protein n oats.

Breakage

70g of rolled oats
Whole (cows) milk
3 minutes in the microwave
Top with raisins
Dash of ground cinnamon
Drizzle of honey
Stir well and consume.

Banging.

omg, the peanut butter idea sounds like a revelation...will definitely give it a try at the next opportunity! This thread has opened my eyes to the wonderful possibilities of oatmeal, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom