• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you use newsgroups? HELP ME GAF!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachinko

okay, go download the free newsgroup reading program Xnews. Just run a search in google for it. Now, to actually make it work you'll need to set up 2 things which is about as difficult as linking outlook express to an ISP provided Email account... and if you do have trouble maybe your ISP has a website has handy as mine is.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Well, you're also going to need to check to see if your ISP even has a newsgroup server. Free ones are rare these days.

ShadowRed

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
how the hell are you even supposed to use newsgroups? i mean...wtf?

Get Grabit, or any other newsgroup reader.

Install it

run it, it will ask you for your newsgroup server, then your login and password.

After that you should be in the actual running program

Look for a place to update groups. Update.

Then usually there will be a blank that you type in the newsgroup you want. Now I have absolutly no clue what reason you might need to use these newsgroups, but I hear from people who use newsgroups that all the good ones start with, alt.binaries.fillintheblank. Here is an example, alt.binaries.cd.images, I have no clue if this is actually a functioning newgroup I just pulled it out my ass just for this example.

After that you want to get all the headers from the newsgroup, their should be a button that will do that for you.

You will select all the post by highlighting them them then click on a button that either says grabit, or download.

FINISHED

WARNING!!!! Do not download copyrighted material it is wrong. It's a sin, you will burn in Hell forever and ever.

doncale

Banned
www.dejanews.com or just www.deja.com same as google groups

http://www.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q=

this is web-based newsgroups

newsgroups (usenet) is part of the internet, but not apart of the world wide web. usenet/newsgroups started in the late 1970s or at the latest, 1981. long before the world wide web existed. (www came into being in the early 1990s) the reason you can view usenet newsgroups ON the world wide web is thanks to web-based newsreaders like dejanews now called google groups, the few others that are free like newsone.net (edit: its gone now?) and interbulletin.com and the many others that cost money to use. most people use some newsreader combined with newsgroup access either apart or seperate from their internet access. serious usenet users seem to frown on web-based newsreaders like google groups/dejanews. the nice thing about deja/google groups is, they ARCHIEVE almost every thread and every post, even going back to 1981. normal non-web-based newsreaders do not archive more than few months. usenet can be incredibly useful as well as annoying.

anyway, in a nutshell, usenet / newsgroups are like massive message boards that have been around for over 2 decades.

If your ISP has a shitty newsserver or even don't have one, take a paysever (www.usenetserver.com)

For a few dollars in a month you can download almost everything that comes out on digital media. I don't want to tell further regarding downloads due to the fact these are pirated stuff and we are not allowed to talk about that on GAF.

GrabIT is great, but the development of this program seems to be stopped.
Instead, try using NewsLeecher. It has simpleness of GrabIT, but the great features (XPAT, NZB) from Newsclients like NewsBinPro, UsenetJunkie etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom