• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is World of Warcraft in terms of going 'solo'?

Vieo

I started playing EQ2 at the end of April. It's been my first real MMORPG and I've been having a ball. I've already got a level 30 dark elf paladin.

Though lately it's been becoming a pain in the ass as I have been noticing a trend. It seems going solo in this game and still managing to get your goals done is next to impossible. For example, if I get a quest that's marked level 30 to kill a monster, when I get to the monster I have to kill, there's no way I can kill it because: a)It's too high a level for me to kill. and b)It's usually grouped with other monsters that are just as tough. Then sometimes you might even have to add: c)You monster you have to kill takes three hours to spawn. So if a group killed it before you go there, you're out of luck. d)The monster you have to kill is a random spawn so you have to spend tons of time clearing an area of monsters praying that it will spawn.

When the situation above happens, like it does very often, it forces me to find a group. The only problem is I'm usually NEVER able to find a group and when I try to start one with the few people who are looking for a group, I usually get the reply "I'd rather join a full group." or something along those lines.

Practically all of the solo quests I've managed to find are crap. They aren't challenging at all and they never give you anything useful. You'll end up being rewarded with maybe a few silver coins(which I'll blow on repairing my equipment after die) or crappy equipment that is way below my level range. The way I'm feeling here is that the time you invest on a quest is never rewarded evenly.

Now, I'm not anti-social and enjoy grouping every once in a while, but this whole co-op aspect and relying on other people is REALLY killing my love for this game.

How is WoW in this respect?

Without caring to go into detail: Much better. If you wanted, you could fairly easily solo through all 60 levels, you wouldn't get the pleasure of the instances, though.

Alex

Mixture, you could solo all the way to cap, you could group all the way to cap. Certain parts of the game are intended for groups though, instanced dungeons, elite quests. But the majority of the game can be picked and choosed by a solo player.

golem

apparently no one groups in wow cuz when they finally hit end level and decide to group for gear they suck ;P

Alex

My only complaints in WoW revolve around that. Lack of pre-cap grouping, lack of group dynamics, but it's a trade off with just how powerful the various systems can revovle around a single player.

WoW isn't as easy, nor as fast as it's made out to be. But it is a lot more intuitive and friendly than the typical MMO. Everything from leveling to crafting just works like second nature.

I do have to say on groups though, most early-mid content, heck, pretty much all pre-cap content is very lineant on what you can stick in a party and have it work.

Acosta

Mixed, I agree.

You can do it, that it´s more than what it´s offered in other games, but you won´t be able to do Elite Missions or Instances, so you miss that part of the universe (and the fun of a nice group). I am lonewolf most the time and I´m Level 30, but I am in a Guild as well so I can use that help to do things I can´t alone.

Stench

Banned
1203885.jpg

Had to be said.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
Don't join any guilds that try to recruit you if you are unguilded. Play the game, eventually someone will take notice and invite you. Also, keep this in mind: it is very much possible to solo to max level, that's an immense amount of freedom for an MMO in my opinion, but grouping is where the real meat of the game lies.

So, far I can most quests on my own with my warrior. Although Elite quests and instances pretty much require a group. I find grouping much more fun if you get a good group. But soloing is very doable.

golem

mage

create own food/water (health/mana regen)
less equipment dependant
crowd control
damage shield
easily defeat monsters up to two levels beyond yours
travel spells

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Vieo said:
Where does the whole "Leeroy Jenkins" thing come from anyway? :)
www.warcraftmovies.com get the file called Leeroy and enjoy.

I used to solo (lvl 30 mage atm) quite a bit but basically group with 3 other guys now.. 2 warriors and a priest and we do practically everything together these days. We prefer to go through instances with just us 4 as well since we seem to meld perfectly good together and are unstoppable. Even called ourselves the Team SexyPants since we don't wear leather :p

DCharlie

Banned
i'm playing as a Warrior (nearly level 33) in either a small group or solo'ing.

I'm having little trouble dealing with level 36 Ballslick Cockodildes.... (name possibly incorrect).

The best class in the game for solo'ing with very little dying is Paladin. It's hard as a mofo to kill one that knows what they're doing. Especially PvE.

Rorschach

:lol

Soloing is easy depending on what class you use. For my hunter and druid, it's been a walk in the park. It is rather boring being by yourself, though. That's why I think I'm going to just let my 6 month sub expire and cancel. :(

Demigod Mac

Paladin = BORING class.

Priest, Shaman or Mage.

And, grouping is 10x as fun as solo. Don't be afraid. Finding a group in WoW is quite easy.

Demigod Mac

Druid is the unfortunate solo class. Good at it, but sort of forced.

Some groups will even refuse a Druid. The fools....

Rorschach

Demigod Mac said:
Druid is the unfortunate solo class. Good at it, but sort of forced.

Some groups will even refuse a Druid. The fools....
Yup...tell me about it. Sure, I'm leveling, but for what? No one wants to group with my lil ol' Tauren.

Alex

Tell me who these people are, and I will find away to get onto your server and hurl them off a cliff. Druids rox.

I've soloed most of my way up to 40 with a Rogue. I think they're good for soloing because you get the sprint ability pretty early on which allows you to run away if you get in trouble. Then you get the vanish ability later on which can put you in stealth mode in the middle of combat. I only die fighting mobs when I'm pushing my luck and going into dangerous territory without letting those skills cool down.

Running around is boring and time consuming though. I started saving early to make sure I could get my mount as soon as I reached 40.

I think Wow is a perfect blend. Sometimes i want to solo, and just relax, and its easy to do. I usually like to group though. It's so much fun. Wow is pretty easy to get into, and I never feel like i need to put in an immense amount of time to keep up with everyone, although i do play alot. hehe.

Rorschach, go play your char on gilneas more, im sure you wouldnt be so bored. I always thought druids had an easy time finding a group.

What retarded servers are you two playing on that would refuse druids? I'm a 40 tauren druid on Mal'Ganis and I get group requests constantly whenever I get near elites or instances.

As for the original question, I just made 40 and I'd guess that 36 of the levels were soloed. I think I completely soloed 32-40.

Top Bottom