• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many of you dorks threw away, or traded in rare retro games?

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Looking at purchasing some games from my youth, and holy fuck are some of these prices insane. I was an abusive owner, so most of my now rare games were either abused to death, traded in for pennies/shit sports games like Madden 19xx, or straight up thrown away when I left home.

Earthbound-Box, stickers, and manual thrown away. Game traded to Funcoland for maybe 15-20 bucks.

Suikoden 1, 2, and 5- Still have the disks for 1 and 2 by some miracle(scratched to fuck), but who knows what happened to the cases and manuals. Probably in some smelly ass dump somewhere.

Chrono Trigger- Still have the manual, but lost the game. Possible accidental throw away. Ended up purchasing it again three years ago for $60.

Every Working Designs Sega CD game(including puppets/stuffed Nall)- Abused, separated, scratched, cracked, fucked. Boxes and manuals lost to time.

I'm a big dork, so I loved JRPGs and probably owned and abused all of them. By the grace of God, I still own Crusader of Centy. Funko probably didn't want it or offered too little. I live in shame.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Story of my damn life.

I've regained most of the ones that matter but yea, too many to count.

Thankfully something like a DSi can be easily soft modded so all those JRPGs I traded in like a fool, I'm happy to just dump roms on a SD card.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Too many to list.
Here's how I cope:

sbyford_210310_4461_0019.jpg

Last edited:

Impotaku

Nope still have everything & way more, and as i busted my ass to pay for them i looked after them all too so even stuff from like 30 years ago is still pristine like it was still new, could probably buy a house with what everything in my collection is worth lol.

Just a small selection of goodies from my collection
4GRdYwE.jpg

h6vZfoX.jpg

2yHTTUx.jpg

UhKMBbk.jpg

07v5En5.jpg

aTYnyIS.jpg

tX1tms5.jpg

tvqHy18.jpg

km5c1BQ.jpg

8QGkmUi.jpg

ShgHQ7w.jpg

dave_d

I sold Spiderman Web of fire for $80. I always like to point out that I thought I got a good deal because who'd want a terrible game on a system nobody wanted?

Shifty1897

Same as you OP, Earthbound, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, all the working designs PS1 games... I don't even remember what happened to them. They got lost when I left for college and my parents moved to another state.

Dthomp

I mostly stopped trading in around the PS2-PS3 era, but me and my wife didn't have shit for money our first years together and traded in a few gems from PS1 days. Traded in both Persona and Persona 2 for sure, but at least kept all other RPGS from that system. Alot of those two were we just didn't like them enough to keep them, probably got traded in towards various Gamecube/PS2 titles. I miss having those in my collection, but would never rebuy them at the prices they are now.

Graciaus

I sold my collection of jrpgs for a lot of money on ebay. Still have some left that I never got around to selling in a box somewhere.

PerfectDark

Banned
I listed my house and de cluttered this weekend. I finally threw out my dreamcast. N64, gamecube. I kept the game, expansion pack for and memory cards. If I could hook them up through hdmi to my TV I would be playing them still.

Kuranghi

I borrowed the Zelda gamecube 4 game collection thingie from a guy who didnt play games anymore and stupidly gave it back to him without him asking me for it. He's probably has never touched it again since then.

Kuranghi

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Nope still have everything & way more, and as i busted my ass to pay for them i looked after them all too so even stuff from like 30 years ago is still pristine like it was still new, could probably buy a house with what everything in my collection is worth lol.

Just a small selection of goodies from my collection
4GRdYwE.jpg

h6vZfoX.jpg

2yHTTUx.jpg

UhKMBbk.jpg

07v5En5.jpg

aTYnyIS.jpg

tX1tms5.jpg

tvqHy18.jpg

km5c1BQ.jpg

8QGkmUi.jpg

ShgHQ7w.jpg
You butt-faced jerk(that is envy and shame talking. That is a noice collection!)

Holammer

Pirated *.* back in the those days. So no attachments nor regrets.
I do regret throwing away a pretty rad 19" CRT monitor years ago.

Pejo

Gold Member
After my parents died and we emptied out the house, I lost pretty much everything I had. I was an "accidental" collector, in that I bought/received a lot of games as a kid. I had every system up from NES/Master System all the way through PS2 in boxes in my parents' basement. I even had rare shit like 2 VirtualBoys, an Atari Jaguar, etc. Hundreds upon hundreds of games total.

They either got tossed, sold, taken etc. Now I'm left with only games/systems from PS3 up, which I had with me at the time.

I don't like to think about it too much since I could have gotten some serious cash from all of those games and systems, or even just continued to enjoy them because I took pretty good care of them all (as a kid, not a collector).

It's also why I really appreciate emulation, that's how I cope.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I still have all of my games I've collected during all of these years still in my shelves and in good condition. Many of the PSX-era games I bought in my teens. Some of the rare games I have are Suikoden 1, 2 & 5, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Legend of Mana, Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross, Valkyrie Profile 1 & 2, Alundra and loads more. Got an extensive collection of PS1 to PS4 games accumulated over the course of 25 years.

Aesius

I've gotten rid of most of my old games except my SNES RPGs. Earthbound is probably the most valuable game I still own. I actually held onto a 15" flat CRT in case I ever want to get back into retro gaming, but at this point I vastly prefer emulation or just playing the games on my SNES Classic.

Sold my GC with a complete Resi Collection (0,Remake,2,3,CV,4) , which was supere rare in good ol germany for nearly nothing. I was young, stupid and needed the money...
Anthony Anderson Reaction GIF

Just like many other collectibles, old games, even some new ones, appreciate nicely during the pandemic......people don't travel, don't go to concerts/conventions, don't eat out as often, etc.....so they spend their money online.....all kinds of collectibles appreciate nicely. comics, trading cards, video games, action figures.

Fools idol

Banned
I had near-mint condition copies of every game I owned in the SNES era which was pretty much a 95% complete collection including all the super rare stuff like Earthbound, only missing a couple of obscure sports games that arent worth shit.

I was a bit of a collector back in the day but when the PS1 / N64 came out I just kind of got tired of how much space it all took, and decided to sell. No one really wanted to pay for them at the time so I just bulk sold it all at a yard sale to some dude for like $1.5k. The today value is probably way over $50k in the condition everything was in shrink wrapped and shit.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I sold my SNES and multiple games for it in the early 2000s.
For a graphics card.
During a time when those had to be replaced like once a year anyway.

Worst mistake I ever made, and I'm serious.

Sephimoth

Sega Saturn ones mainly- Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3, Die Hard Arcade, Burning Rangers- traded 'em back in day.
Got some of them back over the last few years, but cannot justify paying £500+ to rebuy Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I still have most of my stuff dating back to my original NES and my older brothers 2600. I’ve sold a handful of things over the years. I just wish I’d had the foresight to keep all those old NEs games complete and taken care of the boxes.

dave_d

I could always point out I cut out the UPC code on my Phantasy Star 1 (Sms) for a $5 rebate. Bet that hurt the sale price on that game.

Zephir

Let's see...

-I left my mega drive plus games (around 40) to my family summer house... My uncle who lived there gifted everything without my consent.
-lost a couple of GB games, like Mega Man and Super Mario Land 2.
-I rented 80% of my PSX games to a high school friend before summer vacations, but then she left the country to marry somebody in India (possibly arrenged marriage but heh, didn't really care)... Lost games included the first MegaMan Legends.
-Sold Beyond Good and Evil, Dissidia Duodecim, KHBBS.

There might be something else I forgot bit those are my major losses

Ogbert

I traded in a whole bunch of very good condition, boxed SNES games for a few hundred quid in the early 2000s. I acutely remember Link to the Past being near mint as I had two copies.

What a fucking cretin.

stn

Yeah, I sold some oldies I wish I kept! One of them was my original boxed copy of SF2 for the SNES, which was the first game I ever owned. Now that I make good money I've been re-buying some of the retro games I sold, but now it is also much more expensive than it was.

Braag

I never thew away any retro games but I did trade them when I was a kid.

What hurt me the most though, was when I realized the worth of my old Pokemon card collection... which I simply just threw away when I moved away from my parents place when I was 18. I'm 33 now and I recently heard from a friend and did some research on the worth of 1st edition Pokemon cards which I owned a whole ton of.. a lot of them holo and I kept them in a very good condition. I've never felt like inventing a time machine so bad, just so I could go and slap the shit out of my 18 year old self before he throws them all away.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I still have all my games and everything I bought as a kid, with a few exceptions.

Can't find my SMB3 box, my copy of Bionic Commando and some other NES games.

yansolo

sega master system, snes and games all gone

i should add how much i regret it to this day, since a lot of those were gifts that i didnt understand the value of (not monetary) when i was young

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I sold my N64 to help buy the PS2. Which was a good deal IMO. I sold over 20 games with their boxes, including a gold Ocarina of Time. I think I got $120 for everything. I did the same with my SNES.

The worst part was selling all my PS1 games and GameCube for an Xbox at launch. I had all the JRPGs Valkyrie Profile, Lunar 1 & 2 in box, Xenogears, Grandia, Final Fantasy C,A,7-9, Chrono Cross, all of Squaresoft’s PS1 games, Capcom VS games, and a bunch of other games. I had enough for an Xbox, 2 Xbox games and about five brand new PS2 games. It was the main reason I had Max Payne, Jak & Daxter, Dynasty Warriors and a couple other games at launch. I did get to play all those new releases, but looking back I regret it. Just to play Halo and DOA3. Down the road I sold my Xbox for a Slim PS2 and God of War because my fat launch PS2 died. I wanted God of War so badly that I said goodbye to everyone in Halo 2 and sold it. I eventually would buy an Xbox again at EB for Half-Life 2, Doom 3, etc. My logic at the time was not thinking anything through.

I’ve sold plenty at Babbages/EB/GameStop over the years. I use to be able to pay off 1-2 games at a time with all my trades. I’ve let some games go like Marvel vs Capcom 2 on PS2, Essentials of MGS, and etc. I had MGS2, FFX, Silent Hill 2, and etc at launch. My copies of those games were mint at the time. Now all I have are scuffed up copies. My last regret was selling Panzer Bandit on PS1 for $120. I hate selling games. I hate even thinking about it.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Currently trying to get Dragon Warrior VII for a decent price. Might just bite the bullet because this shit probably isn't getting any cheaper.

Too many to count. Some really stupid choices too in hindsight. Traded some great SNES RPG’s like Chrono Trigger, FF 2&3 for Shadow War Of Succession on 3DO. That one still really stings all these years later.

Rivet

I threw away a Dreamcast with a lot of games. All that would be worth maybe $1000 today. I didn't even sell anything. I was relocating and I was late. Stupid mistake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom