• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many of you dorks threw away, or traded in rare retro games?

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Too many to count. Some really stupid choices too in hindsight. Traded some great SNES RPG’s like Chrono Trigger, FF 2&3 for Shadow War Of Succession on 3DO. That one still really stings all these years later.
When Best Buy was offloading all their Saturn games, I narrowed my choice down to two: Sonic R and Panzer Dragoon Saga. Both were $10 each. I chose Sonic R. Great soundtrack.....

Dr_Salt

I'm glad I stored these and have them complete. Never would have thought fire emblem would become so popular.

clem84

Gold Member
If I have a game in my collection and its street value is more than the sentimental value it has for me, I usually end up getting rid of it.

Last year I sold Suikoden 2 and Valkyrie Profile for PSX. I had had them for a bit more than 10 years. Back then I saw them as being a part of gaming history and that's why I wanted them in my collection.

Now I no longer saw a point in keeping games I didn't really have any intention of playing and knowing they were worth quite a bit, I sold them. Both to the same guy for 1000$. It was definitely better than hoarding them and more or less forgetting I even had them in my possession.

Unfortunately. I was a dumb kid. I don’t want to talk about what I sold to eb games :( I wish my mom told me fuck no and took all my shit to storage xD

And yeah I threw away n64 and gba boxes like a fucking moron but i’m sure i’m not alone.

In my adult life, hell no, i’ve amassed an massive collection and won’t be getting rid of anything unless under specific circumstances like a new physical version that comes out being better than old and I could make hundreds of dollars on the old copy… but even then I am not pressured to do so.

I did recently sell one game, mushihimesama for 360 for 300 bucks and got a switch copy for 40.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Yep. I've owned stuff like Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Contra Force, Zombie Nation, Snow Bros, and lots of others. All picked up for next to nothing back in the 90s. Sold/traded for way less than what they're worth now.

If I have a game in my collection and its street value is more than the sentimental value it has for me, I usually end up getting rid of it.

Last year I sold Suikoden 2 and Valkyrie Profile for PSX. I had had them for a bit more than 10 years. Back then I saw them as being a part of gaming history and that's why I wanted them in my collection.

Now I no longer saw a point in keeping games I didn't really have any intention of playing and knowing they were worth quite a bit, I sold them. Both to the same guy for 1000$. It was definitely better than hoarding them and more or less forgetting I even had them in my possession.
What?! Are both that valuable? I have both in my collection and didn’t knew that.

V4skunk

Banned
Looking at purchasing some games from my youth, and holy fuck are some of these prices insane. I was an abusive owner, so most of my now rare games were either abused to death, traded in for pennies/shit sports games like Madden 19xx, or straight up thrown away when I left home.

Earthbound-Box, stickers, and manual thrown away. Game traded to Funcoland for maybe 15-20 bucks.

Suikoden 1, 2, and 5- Still have the disks for 1 and 2 by some miracle(scratched to fuck), but who knows what happened to the cases and manuals. Probably in some smelly ass dump somewhere.

Chrono Trigger- Still have the manual, but lost the game. Possible accidental throw away. Ended up purchasing it again three years ago for $60.

Every Working Designs Sega CD game(including puppets/stuffed Nall)- Abused, separated, scratched, cracked, fucked. Boxes and manuals lost to time.

I'm a big dork, so I loved JRPGs and probably owned and abused all of them. By the grace of God, I still own Crusader of Centy. Funko probably didn't want it or offered too little. I live in shame.
Not personally.
But about 7 years ago I let my youngest brother who was like 16 at the time sell my fully boxed every thing there and mint condition Dreamcast with rare games like Shenmue1+2, Skies of Arcadia etc...all in all about 11 games!
And he got fucking ripped off big time selling it all at a gaming store! £70 for the lot! At the time Shenmue1 used, open and mint condition was £50.

ahtlas7

I loaned an original NES with a bunch of games to a friend in the early 90’s. I moved away and never got it back.
Oh God Panda GIF

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Those old-school manuals were prime crapper reading material. I wonder if a scientist could track my teenage eating habits by analyzing the shit particles enshrined between those glossy pages?

Ozzie666

When I moved countries, I left behind a massive comic collection and video game collection. My pride and joy was a Neo Geo AES with a boatload of home carts, some pretty good ones too. I also gave specific instructions to my family to just keep it stored in boxes for me as they were left. But did that happen? no. Brings me to tears.

Knightime_X

All of them.
I replaced my bad condition ps1 games with ISOs and the rest with roms \ appropriate media format .
Meh, I regret nothing.

Tschumi

Think i threw out a few valuable beanie babies, but other than that I've never really owned anything that rare.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Confession: I sold my US copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga in 2012 when I got married. We needed the money and I received $450 for everything, which was a pretty big number at the time. Today, of course, a full retail copy goes for well over a thousand.

And do you know the zaniest part of that story? It was given to me by a former housemate back in 2001. For FREE. He received it from somebody else, but he never owned a Sega Saturn, so he gave it to me (I had picked up my second Saturn around that time, plus a bunch of games for next to nothing that now command a fortune). At that time, Panzer Saga was selling for $100, which was an unthinkable amount of money for an old videogame at the time, and I did suggest that he sell his copy, but he was very kind and generous and gave it to me.

On a similar note, prices of NBA Action 98 on Saturn skyrocketed to over $700 in the immediate wake of Kobe Bryant's death. That was his very first videogame cover and it became a hot collectable. I do wish I had sold my copy, which I bought new and unwrapped for a whopping $1.99. Since then, prices have come back down to the $35-$60 range, which is still pretty expensive for a sports title, but everything on Saturn is becoming crazy expensive.

clem84

Gold Member
What?! Are both that valuable? I have both in my collection and didn’t knew that.
I sold S2 for 475 and VP for 525$. This was last summer. I'm assuming the price went up a bit since then. They were both mint and complete.

Oh, those prices are CAD. I guess I should've mentioned it. lol

Last edited:

aclar00

Lost/broke all of my PS1 games. Still have All PS2, but none rare. Closest game to being even remotely rare is an open copy 3D Dot Heroes. Oh and an unopened copy of Battle Clash SNES

I am missing some NES games that i either lend to friends and never got back or traded for some shitty games like Silent Service or Wrestling. I am missing at least the golden Zelda, 2-3 Mega Mans, Maniac Mansion and Castlevania 2.

clem84

Gold Member
There are retro games that I've wanted in my collection for a long time and I can safely say I will never own them because the price eventually got out of reach.

- Dracula X for SNES. (It's the only Castlevania game missing from my collection :messenger_loudly_crying:)
- Chrono Trigger (more than 1500 CAD for a complete mint copy??)
- Mega Man 1 NES

All these games technically I could still get if I wanted to but I can't justify spending that much money just for a piece of cardboard and cartridge I'll be putting on a shelf.

Von Hugh

Haven't luckily sold any of my PS1 games. But might as well could have since they are only collecting dust at this point.

I also have Tomba/Tombi 2. People are asking over 200 dollars for it on Ebay, but I don't think anybody has actually bought one at that price.

Brigandier

Let's just say I've done some moronic shit.... Worst offenders I sold my sealed Xenogears, Sealed Shenmue 1 and 2 EU DC games and regret it badly.

Zephir

How did you react?
Upset, obviously, but you know the drill...

"You don't use it anymore", "You have so much stuff", "Let the less fortunate enjoy it" and such...

I wasn't allowed to be angry xD

Also, the same above applied for all the toys and plushies I had in my childhood

Let's be clear, I would have donated most of my old stuff myself if asked, but I really wanted to keep a couple of them

Worst is selling off some semi valuable GC games like Twin Snakes, Zelda, Tales of Symphonia, Mario Kart etc about 10 years ago for probably half of what they go for now in PAL regions. Nothing I'd lose sleep over though

Last edited:
Wish I was never a broke teen who sold their shit. Heck I've been looking at buying a 2nd hand New 3DS XL and those things are almost £200.

Methos#1975

Didn't throw away, but I sold a pretty immense collection for $3000 back in 2010. Every Dreamcast US release, Saturn with stuff like Radient Silvergun and TFV, Neogeo CD, Supergrafx, etc. Probably easily 15,000 these days.

Bartski

Gold Member
I gave a 1990 OG Nintendo Game Boy with a bunch of games to my cousin who wasn't even into games that much years later after joining the master race with my 486DX2.
I'd love to have it back but I'm ashamed to ask if he still has it.

NahaNago

Sold nearly everything that wasn't nintendo switch or ps4. I was getting ready to move/travel so I pretty much was getting rid of everything from my books, to movies, and video games. I would have rather have kept them but I didn't want to pay for storage when I didn't know when I would ever return back for them. Selling the books hurt more than the games though.

Top Bottom