• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you value Metacritic / OpenCritic?

How much value do you put into Metacritic and OpenCritic? (Choose closest that apply)

• I put a lot of stock into the scores a game gets. My opinion usually lines up with these scores.

• I like seeing the review scores, but I need to look at other variables as well.

• Not very much. I'll check them out, but I don't value them highly.

• Not only are they worthless, they're actively harming the industry.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schmendrick

I have a few reviewers that seem to have the same tastes as me. If those give a game high scores I'll look into it if I'm interested at all.

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
user reviews are infinitely more important. Especially Steam Reviews where you'd need to buy/play the game first

Only problem I have with Steam reviews is how everyone who leaves a review is someone who found something appealing or they're a fan of it. Like there's a lot of games that get a lot of very or overwhelmingly positive responses that simply comes down to there being a big fanbase for franchise, developer, creator, whatever.

Reactions: Fuz

jayj

Banned
I only value my own taste and nothing else.

This is basically how I approach gaming these days. Like I've been into gaming and collecting for so long that I have a pretty good concept of most of what is out there, and I know exactly what I generally enjoy and don't find appealing. This can often put me at odds with "the gaming community," fanboys, popular and sensationalist takes, but I guess that's just a part of having experience and knowing what you like.

Fuz

Banned
People praising Metacritic user reviews out out of their fucking minds. (BG3 by the way which in no way has been "banned from Twitch")

qsiBMYq.png
Coglione.jpg

I don't like them, and even go as far to say I think they're potentially harmful to the industry. Unfortunately, a lot of people who buy games believe everything they say about games. We've learned over the years that, in some cases, reviewers have ulterior motives, don't fully play the game, have specific biases against a company, a developer, an individual, and the worst ones use their review scores as weapons for or against a game. Just as bad are the political agendas that warp a reviewer's point of view. And then there are those who just blindly score games based on what a majority of others are scoring them. And finally we have those out there who just want to lower a high average, like that one weirdo that shall not be named.

I tend to put much more stock in those who don't use numbers, like our very own Karak Karak .

Last edited:

Zero_Karisma

Neo Member
I definitely pay attention to those aggregate scores for both games and movies. With the amount of content coming out in those spaces and lack of time I have, the last thing I want to do is waste time on some poorly designed, broken ass game.

I’ve been around long to know that the scores generally lineup close enough to my opinions that they are definitely worth considering when trying to weed out a lot of dead weight.

The reviews I almost never consider is user reviews and opinions. Those reviews too often come from a place of fanboyism or some kind of social conformity. There definitely are some exceptions to that. Steam seems to be more reliable than most user aggregated scores. IMDB for movies is also another reliable source.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Good enough indicator, but not a definitive source of truth either. I always look up multiple sources if I'm undecided about something.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is basically how I approach gaming these days. Like I've been into gaming and collecting for so long that I have a pretty good concept of most of what is out there, and I know exactly what I generally enjoy and don't find appealing. This can often put me at odds with "the gaming community," fanboys, popular and sensationalist takes, but I guess that's just a part of having experience and knowing what you like.
Who cares, at end of the day you are the one playing the game no one else, if you enjoying it then thats all that matters.

I played games long enough to know what I enjoy, I dont need reviews to tell me if Armoured Core VI is worth it or not, I have seen from the game and enjoyed devs work to know I'm gonna enjoy the game regardless what "scores" it gets.

jayj

Banned
Who cares, at end of the day you are the one playing the game no one else, if you enjoying it then thats all that matters.

I played games long enough to know what I enjoy, I dont need reviews to tell me if Armoured Core VI is worth it or not, I have seen from the game and enjoyed devs work to know I'm gonna enjoy the game regardless what "scores" it gets.
Oh yeah I definitely agree with you there, but then again maturing and growing has a lot to do with that. Like when I was younger I would try to get into things that other people like, or try to find a way to enjoy whatever the popular new game was. Now a days, now that I am older and wiser, I just don't even bother with other people taste and biases. If I see something that grabs my personal interest, I will want to check it out regardless of what others think or have to say. If I see a bunch of people praising something that doesn't interest me at all, I just disregard it and don't bother with the game. I have been around gamers long enough to know how cliquish and sensationalist they can be.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I buy games that look cool to me. as long as the game is above 75 on metracritic thats fine.when it scores really well I usually wait for a sale to see what all the fuss Is about

Last edited:
Regardless of what the general gaming public thinks or believes what I can tell you from a factual standpoint is that Metacritic and OpenCritic is absolutely vital and super important to publishers. There are publishers out there that expect certain games to perform a certain way on these websites.

The only reason I am able to say this, is because i work in this idnsutry for over a decade and I've talked to some of the PR agencies that get hired by these publishers. I obviously won't mention the names of the PR agencies or the publishers due to privacy reasons. But they told me some very interesting and crazy things that happen behind the scenes.

I'll just say I had some very interesting conversations with these people that opened my eyes. People don't really realize how vital these meta scoring average is to these publishers. Behind the curtains, there is a stupid amount of pressure from the publishers to both their marketing agencies and the developers. Money is a root of all evil.

Last edited:

Dane

Regardless of what the general gaming public thinks or believes what I can tell you from a factual standpoint is that Metacritic and OpenCritic is absolutely vital and super important to publishers. There are publishers out there that expect certain games to perform a certain way on these websites.

The only reason I am able to say this, is because i work in this idnsutry for over a decade and I've talked to some of the PR agencies that get hired by these publishers. I obviously won't mention the names of the PR agencies or the publishers due to privacy reasons. But they told me some very interesting and crazy things that happen behind the scenes.

I'll just say I had some very interesting conversations with these people that opened my eyes. People don't really realize how vital these meta scoring average is to these publishers. Behind the curtains, there is a stupid amount of pressure from the publishers to both their marketing agencies and the developers. Money is a root of all evil.
Obsidian would get a bonus if Fallout New Vegas had a 85+ metascore, it ended with 84. Raf Grassetti said that it mattered a lot to Sony, and so did John Garvin from Days Gone that despite the game selling well and having a very popular public opion in contrast with critics Sony considered the latter to be one reason to not greenlit a sequel.

Anyone saying it doesn't matter doesn't see the whole picture, people want to make the most of their money and just will just look at the scores instead of reading reviews to save time, only games with popular word of mouth/big marketing/big name gets through mixed reception.

Obsidian would get a bonus if Fallout New Vegas had a 85+ metascore, it ended with 84. Raf Grassetti said that it mattered a lot to Sony, and so did John Garvin from Days Gone that despite the game selling well and having a very popular public opion in contrast with critics Sony considered the latter to be one reason to not greenlit a sequel.

Anyone saying it doesn't matter doesn't see the whole picture, people want to make the most of their money and just will just look at the scores instead of reading reviews to save time, only games with popular word of mouth/big marketing/big name gets through mixed reception.
100%

Steam reviews > Metacritic / Open critic.

But I actually read the reviews and watch a little bit of gameplay before I decide this is something I want.

Sometimes people critique things that aren't a big deal to me, or think highly of something I find trivial.

Sometimes my thoughts and opinions are in the minority.

Last edited:

Laieon

Not a whole lot, but the older I get the more I find my opinion on games divulges more and more from what is considered good/GOTY-worthy anyway. It's pretty common these days that something that sits around 70/80 on Metacritic ends up being something I enjoy more than something that got critical acclaim or whatever the 90s/mid-90+ tag is.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

It's really a case by case. It's a guide. If you put stock into reviews, you need to read reviews not just the scores. There are things that may rate a game down or higher that you don't agree with or may not bother you personally.

I think they are good for an overall consensus. Usually if every review about a game is bad, it's bad. 7/10 is usually not considered a bad game imo.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
user reviews are infinitely more important. Especially Steam Reviews where you'd need to buy/play the game first
Lol please. Steam reviews are 99% awful meme cringlords posting idiotic shit akin to 4chan or YT comments as a review. With a few not retarded reviews.

The most useful way to see if a game is good:

Watch a gameplay trailer
Play a demo if available
Ask a friend who already played it their thoughts
Watch reviews from a few sources
Check places like GAF for impressions

If you followed steam reviews for over watch 2 you’d think it’s unplayable . If you read Reddit on Diablo 4 you’d think it blows up your device while playing. It’s all hate cesspools from troglodytes who likely don’t even play the damn games.

killatopak

Here’s my way of looking at it.

On genres and IPs I recognize or enjoy, scores don’t matter. I’m looking for reviews from people I trust, mostly from community reviews and impressions.

For genres and IPs that are not my favorite or unknown/new, the scores matter more as I have no bias towards that content and looking for more general review. The scores entice me towards something I have no interest to begin with and allows me to have motivation to check them out if it’s high enough.

El Muerto

I dont trust any reviews. Why would I listen to someone who plays games just to criticize about them online? Then you have people review games and give a low score for minor issues like a graphical glitch here or there or a non-gamebreaking bug. If you only play the popular games then you're missing out. Played Evil West and Wanted Dead this year and i find them much more fun than most games rated in the 70-80s like Tales of Arise (87), Stray (83), and GoW Ragnarok (94). People like what they like and that's ok.

Last edited:

nikos

I don't care for reviews. I'll know if I like a game by watching even a few minutes of gameplay.

Same goes for films. Lots that I enjoy have bad ratings.

Music reviews definitely shouldn't exist.

Vandole

I don't go to metacritic, so it has very little value to me. Generally I don't buy games right after they've been released. I wait for discounts and what the general word of mouth is on a game. Patience in my purchases has been far more valuable than a metacritic score days after reviews come out.

Griffon

I actively dont care about "professional" reviews. These people don't have any experience with games and are just regugirtating common talking points they've heard once or twice, or worse yet their personal politics. I haven't visited any review site in more than a decade and I've been doing a lot better at finding the games I enjoy.

If a game's premise interests me, I watch uncut gameplay or streams and read a few steam reviews.

Vox Machina

Banned
Not at all. I make up my own opinion using reviewers whose opinion usually aligns with my own, my own lived experience, and footage of the game.

Filben

I value it as a seismograph and for the zeitgeist of the video game landscape. As with films and books they, too, are products of socio-cultural influence, audience expectations and profit capitalization (all in varying degrees) but also of technological advancements. I have never finished Half Life 2 and didn't enjoy it as much as the majority but I recognise its achievements and what made it so brilliant for others. MetaCritic reflects this sentiment. Same goes for Dark Souls or Bloodborne which I never finished either and only liked them to a point.

So in this regard, it is more useful for (historical) context and probing what kind of games are considered brilliant at a certain time and landscape.

With more distance we could probably write theses about Baldur's Gate 3 and how an excellent and successful game, in a genre with less mass appeal than others, without ingame monetization is considered an anomaly by some people and that even not talking about the game raises eyebrows because it is apparently so good you have to talk about it in podcasts, videos, articles and so on. And even persons from the industry have more to say to it than the typical "congratulations to the release".

In that sense MetaCritic and OpenCritic confines player and critics appreciation into a single number to make it importance (at least at the time of publishing) be grasped within a second. Of course this number can't cover much more aspects than that. So, personally I'm not loosing any sleep over a number I personally might not agree with because that's not the point.

mrmustard

Banned
They're always good for a laugh. I prefer Steam where real gamers rate the games and not some biased, woke, so called professionals with useless 5 star rating systems. But the best thing is if you find a Youtuber or something with similar taste in genres. If you agree with most of his conclusions after pplaying the game, you found a good source for the future.

Braag

I never see it as some metric that what is good or bad. There are a lot of 60-70 games I enjoyed more than 85-95 games. I never actively go and look at metacritic scores, I usually see them only here and don't put much stock in them.

Robb

Gold Member
What’s this supposed to prove? You have no idea how many people who reviewed this (or any game on the entire site) has actually played the game.

For all we know the “real” user score could be both lower or higher when adjusted for that. Which is the entire problem.

Last edited:
Opencritic is fine.

Metacritic needs to be dragged through the mud, flogged and publicly shamed.

It's amazing that everyone has accepted there weighted score nonsense.

Is there not a more blatant form of bias in this industry?

LostDonkey

I don't pay attention to them at all.

If I like the look of a game, I'll try it, make my own mind up and either carry on or drop it.

Other peoples views, opinions, likes and dislikes mean nothing to me. We all have different tastes and ideas on what should be a good game, story, mechanic etc.

I've absolutely loved games in the past that the majority of people hate, and also completed hated some games that have got "critical acclaim".

A lot of it these days is politics and agendas and I'll have no part.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I definitely value and consider good metacritic scores, but of course it also depends on if a game is in a genre I like and other individual taste factors.

When those factors line up, I usually find myself fairly aligned with the consensus. Not always, of course, but enough so that it influences purchasing decisions.

Metacritic user scores are often stupid and polluted by Internet bullshit that I don't follow or understand.

oji-san

Banned
I like checking reviews even when a game i want gets low reviews, ultimately i will see gameplay videos and will kinda know if a game is right to me, tho in some case like Death Stranding i didn't think i will enjoy the game when watched it's gameplay but man oh man it was fantastic.
So yeah i like reading them but it won't effect me as i know what i like usually.

damidu

useful, won’t bother with stuff lower than 75
i don’t have time to try every new release to form my own opinion.

upwards from 75 its better to choose couple of reviewers you seem to align with and check their reviews instead of an aggregate

I don’t trust the majority of the reviewers. I suspect a lot of them have far too cushy a relationship with publishers to ever be fully sincere with most of their reviews. They don’t have the consumers interests at heart put it that way. You tubers are just as bad too, particularly the Xbox focused ones, I can’t bring myself to watch any of them anymore, that Colteastwood guy for example is a soulless disgrace.

StueyDuck

There's more than enough info out there to make informed decisions about a game, you more or less know exactly what it is before it comes out.

They are only really useful for knowing about performance issues which they do a terrible job anyway.

Burn it all to the ground I say

Poordevil

If I want opinions or a consensus on a game the best place to come is right here on Gaf. Head for the OT thread and there you have it. The most varied, knowledgeable, sincere opinions on a game to be found on the web.

Top Bottom