• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much time and effort is involved in porting a game?

Sega Orphan

Banned
I'm not sure if there are any game devs on here, but I was wondering just how much resources it takes to port a game from one system to another.
Say when Sony ported GOW to PC, they had GOW on a Sony exclusive game engine, and using Sony's own API, how much work was involved?
Are we talking like a dozen people working for three months, or are we talking 100 people working for 12 months?
I saw Sony buying the PC porting studios recently, and I was wondering if they would be able to do all the Sony porting work alone, or would they still need to use other companies to do it as well.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Consoles these days are basically just low-mid spec PCs, x86 and using hardware abstraction layers. Porting is basically as simple as it can ever be. If you make a game for the Series S/X you've basically made it for PC and the other console already, same with PS5.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Just change the target and recompile it. Then when that doesn't work you do it the hard way.

Sega Orphan

Banned
God of war took 2 years to port it to pc. Small games takes less time to port it to pc.
But was it two years because it was a part time project, or because it's really involved?
Nixxes has around 60 employees and were bought by Sony to port their games to PC.
I wonder how many games a year a studio of that Size can port to PC.

kingfey

Banned
But was it two years because it was a part time project, or because it's really involved?
Nixxes has around 60 employees and were bought by Sony to port their games to PC.
I wonder how many games a year a studio of that Size can port to PC.
You actually need the original developers to port the game. Nixxes is great. but they still need SIE studios support to port those games. If you are have multiple projects, its hard to finish it fast.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Xbox one and PS4 were moved to PC architecture to simplify ports (from pc to console). The reverse works easily enough.

Everything but the Switch (ARM) is made with x86 in mind.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You actually need the original developers to port the game. Nixxes is great. but they still need SIE studios support to port those games. If you are have multiple projects, its hard to finish it fast.
No you don’t, especially if you’ve got the source code.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Just change the target and recompile it. Then when that doesn't work you do it the hard way.
Yeah, basically Unity is like this, when something doesn't work, you target a fix for that specific platform if it works well in the other. Tho that's with modern public engines, those engine creators will have to do it the hard way anyway first to bring it to us the honey way

Stooky

Consoles these days are basically just low-mid spec PCs, x86 and using hardware abstraction layers. Porting is basically as simple as it can ever be. If you make a game for the Series S/X you've basically made it for PC and the other console already, same with PS5.
lol hope you are joking.

Last edited:
It depends on a lot of factors like the nature of dealing with a legacy system, the design of the code, the tools that were used to develop the game, etc.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Easier than in the past but still not simple.

Usually the biggest issue is if you use a third party lib that’s not on another platform. Like when you start up a WB games like Batman and see a ton of logos on screen like oodle, monotype, speed tree..etc. any platform you port to have to at least have versions of those as well.

Plus now we have lower level graphics apis like Vulkan and dx12 that’s a bit of pain for smaller devs who don’t have the resources to spend. Which is why Unreal and Unity are so great.

Last edited:
The reason it takes a lot of effort to port a game right is because you first have to flip the ship upside down.

But also, it just differs greatly depending on too many things to count. Could be as easy as changing a setting and compiling code for another platform. Could be whatever magic it took to port No Man's Sky to the Switch.

Top Bottom