• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How POWERFUL is the Xbox Series X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerboy

Its power is only relevant when compared to PS5. Or so we've been led to believe😉.

Its a great box, and will be a great box. Its an easy to understand console, more power everywhere basically. You know what your getting, which will be reassuring to a lot of casuals.

Am genuinely interested to see what they can do with it.

Bottom line is Microsoft delivered on hardware, no one expected them to make a console almost 3x more powerful then the xbox one x.
Oh some people did, I've been saying for the last few years that they were going to come in hot in terms of hardware and few people believed it. Just like I think they're going to come in hot on price as well at $399.99, it's out of necessity.

They get people in the door and all the rest will fall into place, but the offering needs to be compelling for them to stranglehold marketshare. A loss on more powerful hardware which can be made up for on the back end is the best thing they can do.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Oh some people did, I've been saying for the last few years that they were going to come in hot in terms of hardware and few people believed it. Just like I think they're going to come in hot on price as well at $399.99, it's out of necessity.

They get people in the door and all the rest will fall into place, but the offering needs to be compelling for them to stranglehold marketshare. A loss on more powerful hardware which can be made up for on the back end is the best thing they can do.

Im starting to think Lockhart has been scrapped and there going all in on xsx.
I think this because despite being very powerful, they did make some choices to keep price lower, e.g no optical port, only 16gb of ram.

Im starting to think Lockhart has been scrapped and there going all in on xsx.
I think this because despite being very powerful, they did make some choices to keep price lower, e.g no optical port, only 16gb of ram.
If it ever existed I am with you that it no longer does, it would muddy the waters. They have a clear product here, a clear direction, their communication and goals are an open book. Adding a second system to this doesn't make any sense.

Another reason it doesn't make any sense is they already said they will continue to support the Xbox One for one to two years, so lesser hardware will already be an option. Also they have Xbox All Access, so if you can't outright afford the console you can make payments..

They've set themselves up for a one system future.

Xbox fans on release day.

2R83GJB.png

Jon Neu

Banned
This can only be explained with DBZ power levels.

PS4 - Base Goku
PS4 Pro - Supersaiyajin Goku
Xbox One - Base Vegeta
Xbox One X - Perfect Cell
Switch - 16 years old Bulma

PS5 - SSJ Blue Goku
Xbox Series X - DBS Legendary Supersaiyajin Broly

Last edited:

sneas78

Banned
There is nothing that a 12 TF can do that a 10 tf can’t. It’s not even half more powerful. We would need a 25TF to see slight difference now that they both are over the 10TF. Gen after next is going to need at least 40TF to be a true gen gump.. at least.

Last edited:

FranXico

There is nothing that a 12 TF can do that a 10 tf can’t. It’s not even half more powerful. We would need a 25TF to see slight difference now that they both are over the 10TF. Gen after next is going to need at least 40TF to be a true gen gump.. at least.
You're oversimplifying, but yes. The difference, although noticeable, won't be as dramatic as some hope. Do expect much better RT on XSX.

Last edited:
While true it's not entirely true... Technically since the GPU has 16 additional CU's and much more RT hardware it could push rendering workloads simply not possible on the PlayStation 5. The PS5 is factually incapable of as many ray intersections as Microsoft's system, there's really no way around this.

Also it's kind of funny that you said 25 teraflops because.....

"For the Xbox Series X, this work is offloaded onto dedicated hardware and the shader can continue to run in parallel with full performance. In other words, Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing."

reg.png

GymWolf

like that guy said, Sex hates dicks for breakfast :messenger_sunglasses:

Not but seriously, it is a wonderfull machine, microsoft did his homework.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
On paper yes its very powerful and whoever is trying so hard the past weeks to downplay it is an idiot simply. What matters the most? How games will run and how developers will optimise their games on it. I don’t care about damn power if developers aren’t going to take advantage of it. Same goes to the PS5, if the developers won’t make the most of it then I won’t gain anything. I hope the Pro and X1X scenario doesn’t get repeated..

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
On paper yes its very powerful and whoever is trying so hard the past weeks to downplay it is an idiot simply. What matters the most? How games will run and how developers will optimise their games on it. I don’t care about damn power if developers aren’t going to take advantage of it. Same goes to the PS5, if the developers won’t make the most of it then I won’t gain anything. I hope the Pro and X1X scenario doesn’t get repeated..
I hope there is a chance for something like DLSS 2.0, because that shit is just magic.

I hope there is a chance for something like DLSS 2.0, because that shit is just magic.
Microsoft is already on it, they have Direct ML (Machine Learning).

Mista

Banned
It is indeed damn magical. I just don’t know what do they have to sacrifice for it

-Arcadia-

Banned

I don’t know. I would be delighted at this, of course, but this seems like premium hardware, and I’m not sure if Microsoft wants to take these kinds of losses to lead the market, in a hobby where that can easily be taken away in 8 years.

They’re in a good place right now. Their brand has grown stronger and stronger (about the time of the Xbox One S, they started doing a fantastic job and haven’t stopped), and the Series X has only helped that even more.

I feel like $499 would be a really good place for them, and even that seems like the low end of my expectations.

Last edited:
Series x is pretty powerful but im suggesting on whats going to hurt it the most is the ram setup after 10gig it would drop to compensate the other bus speed which would be lower then sonys. Despite ps5 being weaker and may not have the advantage maybe on resolution or effects but due to the SSD speed and its ram setup i can see it being more stable in games compared to series's x

Series x is pretty powerful but im suggesting on whats going to hurt it the most is the ram setup after 10gig it would drop to compensate the other bus speed which would be lower then sonys. Despite ps5 being weaker and may not have the advantage maybe on resolution or effects but due to the SSD speed and its ram setup i can see it being more stable in games compared to series's x
I think you greatly underestimate how much VRAM 10GB's is, especially relative to the amount of bandwidth. The 2080 Super only has 8GB's as a comparative, the 2080 Ti only has 11GB's, they won't come close to hitting their VRAM ceiling.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Pretty sure its a splitpool but still unified. I don't see how those boxes will dedicate more then 10gb to v-ram anyway. There just isn't enough ram even for sony.

Last edited:
Maybe not straight away no but further down the line games is gonna get bigger. Stronger more graphical due to increase in technology better designs in graphic cards and cpus. And it will eat up more vram on series x and PS5 but if any1 would know 10gigs would be fully used even then drop in bus speed where ps5 could use more with more stability. If series x didnt split its ram it will be a different story lol

Maybe not straight away no but further down the line games is gonna get bigger. Stronger more graphical due to increase in technology better designs in graphic cards and cpus. And it will eat up more vram on series x and PS5 but if any1 would know 10gigs would be fully used even then drop in bus speed where ps5 could use more with more stability. If series x didnt split its ram it will be a different story lol
It's not going to happen, how would you even expect the rest of the system to run? That only leaves 3.5GB's for the game, that encompasses all the processing for it relative to the CPU and memory subsystem. You're also completely forgetting how the SSD's will tie in as virtual memory and take a hit.

This seems like you're fishing for a problem rather than one actually existing.

Bergoglio

The biggest takeaway from these days was the fact that the Xbox Series X is considerably more powerful than the PS5. Faster and more powerful processor, better graphic processing unit, more CU's, incredible cooling system, etc.

PS5 IS the inferior console, hardware wise. But it is the best place to play exclusive games.

Last edited:
Im sorry but if developers saying ssd wont make a difference what makes u think series x is gonna be different virtual ram or not they only thing they might be good for is creating better environments. And larger worlds

Im sorry but if developers saying ssd wont make a difference what makes u think series x is gonna be different virtual ram or not they only thing they might be good for is creating better environments. And larger worlds
The SSD can spool up texture data which is one of the biggest memory allocations there is, that alone takes a massive hit off of the memory.

Thats what i said ealier lol i believe ps5 and series x can do 4k i believe but better graphical abilities or maybe better ray tracing but i believe end up later in console race i think sonys can be more stable due to ram setup nothing about ssd or audio just mainly ram

Mista

Banned
Lol what? Which dumb fuck of a developer said that? Link please.

pawel86ck

Banned
I think you greatly underestimate how much VRAM 10GB's is, especially relative to the amount of bandwidth. The 2080 Super only has 8GB's as a comparative, the 2080 Ti only has 11GB's, they won't come close to hitting their VRAM ceiling.
Agree. With 13.5GB available to developers no one will use over 10GB just for GPU and 560GB/s for everything would be a waste anyway. MS enginners probably thought it was a better idea to invest money somewhere else (into better cooling for example).

hyperbertha

Agree. With 13.5GB available to developers no one will use over 10GB just for GPU and 560GB/s for everything would be a waste anyway. MS enginners probably thought it was a better idea to invest money somewhere else (into better cooling for example).
RAM has always been the biggest bottleneck. If developers had 30 GB of RAM I assure you they'd use all of it. You can never have enough RAM in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom