• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the Nemesis System Creates Stories

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Nemesis System in Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor is a unique villain generator. But in the sequel, Shadow of War, it's a full on story generator. Here's how it makes narratives that are interesting, meaningful, and memorable.

kyussman

Yea,I recommend anyone playing Shadow of War for the first time,put it on Nemesis(hard)difficulty and sit back and enjoy the crazy shit you get yourself into.

Tried playing war on ps5. Had to stop due to 30fps with awful animation.The game looks no different than Mordor which was a cross gen game and I just can’t get over that 30fps on an action game like this.

might try and revisit it as I want to experience the nemsis system in War. Not sure what Sony was thinking with these plus collections without getting the fps unlocked at least.

oshho

Neo Member
Shadow of War is one of my favorites games and its due to the nemesis system, I really want to see their next game using this system or at least a Shadow of War sequel.

mcz117chief

Nah, there were only very few variables. It only took me a few hours for the nemesis enemies to start repeating themselves. And the only way to make it work properly is if you play bad on purpose. You have to die/be defeated, for the nemesis system to work as intended. If you kill everyone it really doesn't do much and even then it felt like every other orc was a prophet of the wyrm or something with the same exact speech every time.

I liked it for the first couple of hours and then it felt like they were practically the same thing. If anything they need to enhance it a bit and make it more than an opening quote in combat.

Exactly right, it was very cool for the first few hours in Shadow of Mordor but it became stale very quickly in both Mordor and War.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't. You start to see right through the system very quickly.

The problem with it in the first game, also, was that it was just a stupidly easy game and dying was actually quite a challenge.

Top Bottom