• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How underrated are the Hellboy films?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I loved the firSt, I've never gotten entirely through the second despite trying on three different occasions. Took a girl to opening night on a first date and she was so fucking high and drunk she yelled at the screen half the time and sucked my face the other half. It was hilarious and fun and bizarre and a bright neon warning sign that I happily ignored.

III-V

Saw them both in the theaters and enjoyed them both. Bought the discs for at home. Prefer #1, I suppose.

TaterTots

Banned
Haha that's awesome! Just be warned, I have an equivalent of that set for another series (the umbrella Academy) and the HC is a mini book, so it's quite a bit smaller than your average trade, not sure how that will be to read, but I hope you enjoy :) definitely come share your thoughts in the comic OT over in off topic, there's quite a few big HB comic fans over there.

And that's exactly what I was at least trying to say in terms of the movies raising the comic's profile; I honestly find it a really awkward mix of two my favourite things but if it gets eyes on the comics that's a huge boon and very valuable. I've totally down with that.

Oh yea, I'm aware its about the size of a tv guide or something. I've bought Batman combos that are the same. I can read it just fine and doesn't take up a ton of space on my bookshelf.

TaterTots

Banned
Still really baffling to me that the first one even got a sequel considering it made like $99m against a $66m budget.

I guess it was a really good home video seller or something?

From what I read, it was a good dvd sale. However, the sequel had a better box office return. Almost double what the budget was. I would of liked a 3rd one to wrap it up. Even if it was a 65 mil budget. Deadpool has shown that can work.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
They are appropriately rated.

The first film is okay, the second film is hot garbage.

Yup, that about covers it, even though the second film has some amazing art design.

The second film is exactly what Marvel is pulling and being adored for it.

This is a great point except for the part where you're completely wrong. I really don't know what you're on about, since Hellboy 2 bears very little resemblance to the Marvel films. Whether that's a good thing or not is, of course, a matter of opinion.

I always liked the first one a lot. Pretty good movie. I never did see the sequel though or read the comics. I should probably get around to watching the sequel at some point. I'm a little irritated that it doesn't seem to be on Netflix even though the first movie is/was at the time I rewatched it.

They are appropriately rated.

The first film is okay, the second film is hot garbage.

Actually, the second film (The Golden Army), got better reviews then the first, and was even critically acclaimed technically. It generally shows up on best superhero sequel lists too, so I'm not sure appropriately rated is the right term.

The Golden Army is actually very little like a Marvel film, for one the thing it relies less on CGI & it doesn't have loads of quips (though that's selling the MCU short too). It just has a lighter tone, and there's nothing wrong with that. Also it very much has a "directors vision" behind it, something the MCU get criticized for quite often.

TaterTots

Banned
Yup, that about covers it, even though the second film has some amazing art design.

This is a great point except for the part where you're completely wrong. I really don't know what you're on about, since Hellboy 2 bears very little resemblance to the Marvel films. Whether that's a good thing or not is, of course, a matter of opinion.

The quirkeness, humor, etc. Reminds me of the first Avengers movie. Hellboy punching the troll in the face reminds me of the Hulk punching Thor etc. Hellboy 2 looks to be a fun comic book movie in a year where it was dark. Now, everything is trying to be fun and lighhearted. Look at how the Marvel movies evolved. In 2008 we had the Dark Knight which was adored while Hellboy 2 was fun and easy going. Under the radar.

norm9

They're perfectly rated the way they are. Fantastic for fans, ok to pretty good for the rtegular masses.

Dead

well not really...yet
Artistically creative, with distinct visual style and flair alongside charming characters all driven by a singular director's vision? Sounds like the complete opposite.

FiggyCal

Banned
I fell asleep during the first one; was not a fan at all. Second was okay.

Edit: I personally don't think they're good movies tbh

Swass

They are up there in my favorite superhero movies.. wish they would have greenlit a third film..

Tansut

Like most of Del Toro's work I've come across, I find them to be visually wonderful but pretty shaky storywise. I think he's more suited to a DP or producer role than actual director.

Top Bottom