• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you feel about an Xbox Series S+?

While a $299 next-gen console is great, I’ll admit that the lack of disc drive is the only thing that kills the deal for me.

As an XB1X owner (which is now discontinued), I would’ve easily upgraded from that to some type of XSS+ for $349 that had a 4K disc drive, just to get the next gen upgrades that I thought I’d be getting on XB1X (Sea of Thieves 60fps and proper Dolby Vision support, for example).

How about you guys? What’s your sweet spot feature set/price for a next gen Xbox?

EDIT: Remember that "Xbox Series V" fake from a few months ago? If that had been real, $349, and had a disc drive, I would've upgraded my 1X for it easily.

mPXg7ZmuPFn8gLqPgPp2tj-970-80.jpg

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

I think Series S is fine as it is. I find it hard to justify something between it and the Series X.

But I do believe we will have mid-gen upgrades such as Pro and One X, and it might happen for both SS and SX. When games struggle to make good RT in 4K there's gonna be a demand for it.

Gormond

Neo Member
Are they adding Dolby Vision for BD playback on the XSX?

I recall they said they were with the X1X but never did.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
One more is too much of a problem

Remember that the One S and One X still are on the market and not everyone knows stuff. Microsoft stopped the One X, but for now, not the S. So you have an Xbox One S, a Series S and a Series X. Can you imagine explaining this to your 50 yo mother?!

I agree that the Series S should have a disc drive since the creation of it, but this is not the timeline that we have this - or the time itself. Maybe the Series S and X will have a second gen!? We don't know yet, but there's nothing that scratches the possibilities

Fbh

A disk drive is always a plus, so sure. I can understand why MS wouldn't want to have 3 SKU's though.

And personally, at that point I'd rather just wait a bit, save up an extra $150 and get the actual next gen Series X

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There are already too many Xbox SKUs, let's not encourage any more confusion if we can help it.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I think it would be too excessive. They have two consoles, that's already a bit much more some devs and pubs. But three would be too much IMO.

I will say I still think it's really cool that Microsoft at least offered choices.

sublimit

Banned
I'm pretty sure 3rd party developers would love to have another weak ass model to have to port their games to!😄

Orta

Banned
Should have taken a bigger hit and launched the Series S at $200 then nobody would (or should) have given a shit about the lack of disc drive or low storage.

Kupfer

Microsoft binds the customer with the S to the store, the gamepass and digital content. This way the console pays for itself again, while the X can also be used to play used games or games from rental shops. That is why there will be no S with a discdrive.

Pejo

only if they further confuse the naming convention by calling it something like Xbox Series S eries X XL

Aladin

Microsoft binds the customer with the S to the store, the gamepass and digital content. This way the console pays for itself again, while the X can also be used to play used games or games from rental shops. That is why there will be no S with a discdrive.
You can share gamepass and digital library with 2 or 4( I am not sure ) other consoles. Xbox is value.

I know they did this for price, but the xbox series S should have been: 6TF, 12GB, 500 GB SSD. That would have allowed it to be 4k60 just like the one X.

While a $299 next-gen console is great, I’ll admit that the lack of disc drive is the only thing that kills the deal for me.

As an XB1X owner (which is now discontinued), I would’ve easily upgraded from that to some type of XSS+ for $349 that had a 4K disc drive, just to get the next gen upgrades that I thought I’d be getting on XB1X (Sea of Thieves 60fps and proper Dolby Vision support, for example).

How about you guys? What’s your sweet spot feature set/price for a next gen Xbox?

If it would have disc drive + support for more xbox OG games = I would considered it as BC box + for those few xbox exclusives. Digital only is just too expensive, as almost all xbox one games are like 5-10€ new/used and have been much cheaper as ps4 games because they are not popular at all. So disc drive would make it easy to have super cheap machine. And SSD is too small also for my taste so it is just too expensive as whole as 2nd system

So if I buy one for bc, I just get used one x as they are like 100e on good condition cheapest

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
If the price gets any closer to the PS5 digital I’m pretty sure gamers will definitely just go real next Gen. And pretty sure they already are

JCK75

I'm with you, the only reason I got an Xbox One S back when it launched was it was the best deal on a UHD Blu-ray player around, not having that holds it back in my book.

the_master

My hope would be for series X to take the place of the S with the same price, the S to become discontinued, and a new series taking the lead in place of the X. The series Z, for example.

GHG

If the plus means they cancel the current S and the new version has at least 6TF and power without the drop in memory bandwidth then I'm all for it.

Sleepwalker

IMO they'll drop the XSX to the price (or close) of the XSS midway through the gen, discontinue the XSS and then release the "pro XSX"

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
At that point you're only $50 away from a PS5 DE. And while that doesn't solve your issue (disc drive), I think most people would view the latter as a much better value. So this wouldn't make business sense for MS. The XSS is so much weaker GPU-wise, there needs to be a substantial price gap between it and the next console up for it to make sense (IMO $100 isn't even enough to make the S seem worth it).

truth411

At that a $349 Price point, it would be DOA since its only $50 cheaper than the PS5 D.E.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The minute you start adding to the base price of it you start creeping into the series X territory. $299 is the story with series S. Anything more and it makes far less sense to a consumer.
Well XSS + 1TB card is more than XSX. It's hardly make sense now, it might in future with cheaper drives.

Stuart360

XSS is fine, it is what it is, and its not targeted at the hardcore crowd.
If someone wants something better than XSS, just buy XSX.

Moogle11

Banned
Probably better to keep to two skus. Maybe think about it if they do a mid gen refresh as they could just refresh both skus at the same time I suppose.

I did find it a tad odd that the S lacked a UHD drive. I get that it's the cheaper model and that cuts some costs of course, but it can't be that much and a lot of budget gamers (who are a big part of the market for this) probably prefer physical games so they can buy cheaper used, loan to/borrow from friends, sell/trade games when they're done to lower expenses some etc.

At that point you're only $50 away from a PS5 DE. And while that doesn't solve your issue (disc drive), I think most people would view the latter as a much better value.
Better value? I’m really not seeing how.

Things a $349 XSS w/ disc drive would have that a PS5 DE wouldn’t:
  • 4K Blu Ray Movie Support
  • Dolby Atmos/Vision for Gaming/Streaming Apps
  • Disc based games (lower prices)
  • Disc based & enhanced BC stretching back to OG Xbox.
  • Access to Xbox Game Pass, an amazing value in and of itself.
I’m not sure all of those tradeoffs would be worth the “more power” you’d get from PS5 DE for $50 more, if we’re strictly talking about value.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Better value? I’m really not seeing how.

Things a $349 XSS w/ disc drive would have that a PS5 DE wouldn’t:
  • 4K Blu Ray Movie Support
  • Dolby Atmos/Vision for Gaming/Streaming Apps
  • Disc based games (lower prices)
  • Disc based BC stretching back to OG Xbox.
  • Access to Xbox Game Pass, an amazing value in and of itself.
I’m not sure all of those tradeoffs would be worth the “more power” you’d get from PS5 DE for $50 more, if we’re strictly talking about value.

Things a PS5 DE has that an XSS with disc drive wouldn't:
  • Vastly superior graphics performance
  • Vastly superior SSD (with more space)
  • 3D audio using regular headphones (a good Atmos setup isn't cheap)
  • Sony 1st party exclusives
  • Etc

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
People really still not grasping how much more difficult these extra Skus make game dev, huh?

wolffy71

Banned
It wont see an extra sku, it will see a price cut. That console is to attract people that arent already console owners imo. Just basically that console and gamepass is the idea for them i think.

Top Bottom