• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I HATE my job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, quick refresher for some, I made a topic about 3 and a ½ weeks ago, that was about me planning on asking a girl from where I work out, only to have gotten suspended for 2 weeks on that same day I was planning to ask. I work at The Real Canadian Superstore, the worst place to work, if your gonna come in and defend the place, dont bother, it is a new level of hell to work at.

And before I go on, in case your curious, I did ask the girl out, but it turned out her and her b/f got back together. :(

Well, anyway, on the 22nd on July I was allowed to return to my shitty Janitorial job (which I am sure you are all thinking sounds fun, BUT settle down guys, I really wasnt eagerly antisipating my return to it).

My first 2 week suspension was due to some bitch complaining because I was 'rude' to her, well, if rudeness is trying to stay calm and be polite to a bitchy irrational fat ass while she is being bitchy and irrational to you, than only after taking her shit for a while, and deciding you have had enough, and at that point standing up to her slightly, than hell yeah, sign me up for being 'rude'.

Well they thought that was a good form of 'rude', and I was suspended for 2 weeks. Today, 5 days after getting back to my shitty ass job, I was suspended again, this time indeffinatly and pending investigation.

Here's the whole shitty story.

On Saturday, I was asked by my manager to put a new flushing lever on a toilet in the womans washroom, because the old one was broken, so I think ok, no problem. I go to do it, while trying to install the damn thing, I see through the open dore a woman and her kid who looks like he's 5 or 6 approaching. I calmly and politely tell the woman I will just be a couple more minutes. She immediatly bitches that her son is gonna crap him self (a line I hear from evry second mother I see on my job) I tell her that her son can go in the mens washroom (which I knew to be empty). She than almost yells back that she is not letting her kid go in the room by himself. (which I can understand, but it was empty) I tell her she can go with him if she wants (which MANY woman do on a daily basis) and she again shouts back that she is not going in the mens washroom. At this point I am thinking 'whatever' and I tell her I wont be much longer, but that's not good enough for her and she just ignors what I was saying and begins to enter the room anyway.

I try to stop her by telling her I wont be much longer, but than something I didnt expect, her son (who I can tell you will obviously grow to be something much more than his idiot mom) turns to her and says "mom, I can wait" but she just like a bitch says "no, your going in now" and prods him in to the stall and slams the dore. At thsi point I am pissed, but I just drop my tools and leave the room and close the dore (I am not susposed to be in the room while woman are in there, nor do I want to be while they are doing what they are doing anyway). After a couple minutes the bitch leaves and I see her go to thecustomer servace desk where she makes a complaint about me. On SUnday I am called to the managers office to write out my statment of my side of the story, and on Monday i am called up and suspended indeffinatly pending investiagtion.

FUCK the Superstore,a nd to anyone who goes there, think twice, the place fucks over it's employees for any reason it wants whenever it wants, it's the worst place to work. I can even name a couple other examples of this, a couple storys I have been told by the people that it has heppend to are. There's this one girl who was working one day, but was called in erley, so she came erley and wasnt sure if her manger wanted her to stay her full shift or leave erleyer, she asked him and for asking, he wrote her up (written warning). Another guy I know just got back froma 2 week suspension becuase he was suspected to have been involved in helping someone steal from the store. However I know him, he's a freind of mind, he tells me he didnt do it, and that's good enough for me, but for them even though they didnt have any real proof, they suspended him. His supervisor has also suspended 2 other peiople in his department for 2 weeks for some reason or another (she seems to be on a rampage). Point is, it's an eval store, boycot it.

I hatre my job...

~Black Deatha

Ferrio

Banned

Heh.

Though i feel for you, my first job was at a grocery store and to this day was the worst job I've ever had (even compared to McD's which was WAYYYY better in comparison).

They'd treat you like shit, pay you next to nothing (5.50 for cashiers, baggers got paid more), and didn't care what happened to you. This was mostly due inpart that the store was located in smack dab next to the city's high school and they could easily get more employees at any time.

I remember one time I was suspended for a week for not talking to a lady when she came through my line. That suspension was awesome though since I hadn't had any extended time off in like a year.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I hated working retail too.

Find a shipping place (or the like) to work at; no public ass to kiss.

El Papa

This is what I do: Walk into the store, go straight to the manager's office, vioce my desplesure with a hearty, "Fuck you, manamgment sucks. I quit," and promptly leave. I've had some bastard managment at places I've worked, but I've also had some great management. Working for bad management is the worst. I don't care If I don't have a job at the time I quit, I figure if it's a crappy job, at least I can find another crappy job with better management. You really need to quit man, I would have quit the first time they screwed you over, it's a matter of principle to me.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Slo said:
Make them fire you and file for enemployment.
That's pretty much what I did only I got my severance pay (they didn't give me a two week notice :D), which, at that point, I didn't care anymore. And for the record... I wasn't fired. They changed my schedule so much that I had to quit. Severance pay +1.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Yup, Superstore has great prices - and so much variety!
What we were talking aboot again?

PS: that sucks - I blame women.

dazedx

i work at Superstore too but it seems your store is operated by a whole new level of assholes. The longest suspension i've ever heard of someone getting was 3 days and thats cause she was throwing paper work in the garbage, instead of actually doing it.

i'm not defending the place by any means .. i've just never heard stories like that before.
which is funny because i've had friends get drunk on lunch breaks and come back drunk only to have our supervisor laugh at them.

kick your supervisor in the shins next time ya seem him.

you should have just let the lady and her son take a shit and stepped out for a few minutes as soon as you realized she was gonna get her "bitch" on instead of having words with her. But yeah, you should just quit anyway. There has to be better jobs out there for you.

Its in supermarkets you find that people arent nice. They are STUPID ASSHOLES, that needs some smack outside the supermarket.

They say you get paid to be polite to them, but what the fuck, i dont get paid to get
some shit from a stupd fat woman..

im thinking of getting me fired aswell, cause the times suck aswell i work.
then im gonna dress as a ninja and pay back (ok, maybe not.. but in my dreams..)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That doesn't sound like fun, I would totally stop shopping there if I lived in Canada...but I dont live in Canada so I will continue not shopping there. See, I'm supporting you!! :)

Don't worry, I got "let go" from my job last Wednesday. I transferred from the Democratic National Committee to this Community Activism place about 2 weeks ago since they needed more people...well I wasn't making quota as far as getting people to donate goes and they had to let me go. So I lost my job at the DNC and this place at the same time. But I'm not upset, I'm just going to have to look for bigger and better things. I just sent my resume off to this behavioral health company to be a customer service rep.

AssMan said:
You should commit suicide.

:(

Thanks for the support guys, but one thing I forgot to mention was that, I cant quit, I need the money to pay bills still. Belive me, I want to quit more than anything, I want to take the phrase "burning your bridges" to a whole new level and NUKE the fucking thng, but unfourtinatly where I live (Victoria, BC) jobs seem to be very hard to find, hence why I oriogonaly took the shitty job I currently have, or dont I guess. ANd I have been applying like crazy evrywhere else.

Oh and BTW, this is actualy my 5th suspension, first I had a 1 day, than a 3, than a 2 week that the union game the store a big "fuck you" about and I was working again within 4 days.

And yes, i have alreadt taken this suspension to the union, but since I JUST came back from a suspension due to another bitches complaint, my case is very weak. However, to keep any shred of dignity I have left, if it looks as though they are gonna decide to fire me, I will quit, because I wont get severance pay anyway, because they think they have just cause to let me go.

Gonna do more applying today too.

~Black Deatha

El Papa

Good luck, dude. If you can't find anything, come down to So Cal, you can always pick strawberries with the illegals.

Ive worked a lot of retail and its real hard to get in trouble. REAL hard. Chances are if you are in trouble its because you're trouble.

What MAF said. You could've avoided your entire situation by obeying the customer's request, but instead you decided to get your pride on. Sure, she was a bitch, but most customers are; if you aren't capable of doing your best YES MASSAH even in the shittiest situation then you probably aren't cut out for retail. Retail pays you to do one thing as well as humanly possible: be a toadie to the customer. It's called CUSTOMER SERVICE for a reason. If you can't deliver it, you'll be fired for incompetence. It's that simple.

I did four years across two customer service jobs (checker and catering waiter), and they were hell on my pride, but they also taught me a valuable lesson: to put aside my ego and just do my fucking job. That restraint and dignity is probably the number one reason I've succeeded in my subsequent jobs.

That said, I fuckin HATE a certain snotty breed of customer, especially when most of them have no idea of how shitty a retail job is and how close I was to dropping 'em. To add insult to injury, most of 'em were trying to scam the store somehow or just revel in the opportunity to have their ego stroked. Still, I wasn't being paid to be the voice of justice.

Jim Bowie

Man, retail sounds bad. But it can't possibly be worse than food service. I'm a waiter at a BBQ restaurant, a job that REQUIRES politeness and pays $2.38 an hour (20 cents above minimum serving wage). And all the shitty people you have to deal with! Including:

Bad tippers
Dash-n-Diners
A man who said, "If I wasn't in such a good mood, I would fucking kick your ass." I'm serious.
A man that called me a "fucking retarded prick" for asking if he needed ketchup.
Disgustingly large women in tight clothing asking if they can pay "with a quickie in the john."
Small children that like to throw the sugar package and poison each other's drinks with condiments. Bad part is, guess who has to refill the bad drinks?

That, and every evening you go home smelling like grease and oil. :p Thank you God for college and all of the school it provides, so I do not have to work.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I worked a grocery store job for about 3 months, and moms with kids in tow are bad news. Which should've made me smart enough to not get roped into my next job.

I worked at the arcade in the food court for about a year and a half. An arcade run by cheap bastards (they were so excited they had an ex-con applying, because "we can totally pay her minimum wage, hahaha!") who thought everyon was stealing. I trained in 2 managers, actually, without ever being promoted. They refused to give me a raise because the manager made only 50 cents more/hour than me, and they would want a raise too, then. I had to put up with the owner's little cunt of a daugher who left a countless number of messes (literally and figuratively) for me to clean up (my favorite being opening at 7am the Saturday before Xmas, and finding an 18" wide trail of garbage juice from the front door to the back door, and shredded paper all over the rest of the floor). It was pretty awful. People thought I was a fucking moron, which was kind of awesome. I would sit there and read the business section of the newspaper, while some fuck in a NASCAR shirt would come in and complain that he couldn't get the machine to take his quarter. "Sir, we use tokens here." "HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT?" They ignored all the huge signs everywhere that said as much... Sigh.

Oh well, that's all behind me. And I got a cushy, perfect college job, and walked out at the arcade (not that I could get a reference anyway-- all the managers and supervisors I had have smartened up and gotten the fuck outta there). $2 more an hour, full benefits, tuition reimbursement, and monthly bonuses. Ch-ching.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Jeez, that first story is messed up. Then again, I never heard of so many two week suspensions on a job or workplace. From where I come from, they just fire your ass.

That said, I'm actually enjoying my new job. Been working with Aon for about 2 months now, and it's actually different and dynamic enough from a day to day business to keep me interested and, more importantly, learning from everything I do. Such a turn around from my last job...

B'z-chan

Banned
Add me to the group of people who hate work. I know i've only been doing this job for a while but seriously. People dont even know how to use computers all i do is sit and run Spybot and Ad aware and fix stupid crap all day long. And well teach them how to use simple programs like Word and IE. no matter what i do my efforts are defeated.

People just dont get it.... at least the ones i work with. plus i'm getting payed a lot less and doing more with my time than half these shits here.

I work retail, and this time of year Staples is awful, but its almost pure reflex now. I expect dumb customers, so its no terrible thing. Plus it helps I work so often. 40 hours of work a week with 30 hours of school conditions you to just move. Ive found that bemoaning my existence is only fun if my co-workers are in on it. Doing it alone, or just being in a pissy mood does little to make the job any better to begin with.

I work because there's no other way for me to live, so its just sorta something I accept.

However, for all that I do, I should probably be getting paid around two dollars more an hour :(

B'z-chan

Banned
MrAngryFace said:
However, for all that I do, I should probably be getting paid around two dollars more an hour :(

I feel for you having to drive in arizona and all that stuff man just to make what you do a hour. I feel you should get more just for the gas you use getting there.

I feel like i should be getting 3 bucks more a hour just to cope with the massive headache i go home with after trying to explain something so simple as a mouse and how to use it.

The current trend of low unemployment but high working poor is a pretty shitty situation in America. A LOT of people arent getting paid nearly enough for what they do.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Why don't you just quit Superstore and find a better job. My first real job is nice and cushy.. Pay $9/hour and all I do is phone people.

Hey, I hate tellamarketers as much as the next guy, and as much as I dont like the idea of perpetuating the trent, I need the work more so, so I would do it. And just to clarify a couple things here guys. This isnt a case of my working at a shitty job for a short period of time and getting suspended multipule times. I have been there for over a year and a ½. My first 2 suspensions wernt even customer related at all, they were because the moron managment thinks that I do my job slowly. And they have over the time I have worked there complained that I am slow at justy about evry single job I do. They complained I was slow in doing a job that I was doing the same speed I was trained to do it at. The guy who trained me was than the top in seniority in my department, meaning he at the time had been there the longest, and got the most hours per week. (now that's me, not anything to show pride in) Anyway so I was going about doing this job, and doing evrythign I was trained to do while DOING it and doing so as quickly as possable. But they decided after about 3 months or so that they didnt like this, so they wrote me up for being slow.

At that point, I didnt know I could refuse to sign the written warning, so I ended up signing it. Now this job was a simple matter of emptying the garbage cans outside, and sweeping the parking lot, there's like 8 gabage cans, and emptying them and putting in new bags takes roughly 20 minutes, and sweeping the lot to make it look presentable takes about another 20. So over the next while after the warning, I tryed harder to work faster, but even with doing that I was only able to shave a couple minutes of my time. (plus they would always exadurate and say I took an hour outside). Anyway though, they decided this wasnt good enough and about a month or maybe 2 (dont remember or care much anymore) I was suspended for 1 day. Than I again was at the point where I couldent do much to improve me time, they always to this day even tell me I am slower than evry other person in my department. A couple months later they picked something else (cant remember what exactly) and said I was slow at it and still slow outside, so I was suspended again this time for 3 days. On these suspensions I at this point knew I could refuse to sign the disiplin forum, and I refused.

Now after this point, I was fucking pissed, after this 3 day suspension I didnt give a fuck anymore, so when I went outside, I cut my time down 20 minutes, by no longer even bothering to sweep the lot. I never heard a damn word about this for many months, and they seemingly shut the fuck up.

But than came a lying basterd customer one day who was getting all in my face when I was cleaning the mens room this one day. He was like this 65 year old moron with a cane trying to get all in my face, I to this day dont know WHAT his problem was, but he was getting in my face, and I told him, if he had a problem to go talk to the manager, so he looked at my name tag and did. He complained, ON his complaint he said I opend the bathroom dore so that evry persone in the store could see him while he was standing at the urinal. (yeah, he figured out my master plan, I am that millicous) But for those intrested in what actualy happend. I enterd the room to find someone in the STALL who came out and started bitching at me. Point is that fucker lied, my managers didnt ask for my side of the story, and I was suspended about a week later (2 weeks suspension), but on my disiplin forum, they also tacked on that I was still being slow in my dutys.

Well, I toke this bullshit to my union and about 4 days in to the 2 weeks I get a phone call from one of my managers totaly sucking up to me asking how I am and than he informed me tht my 2 weeks suspension was reduced to a 5 day or something. It was so hard at that point to not just laugh my ass off at him and his sucking up.

That was about 5 or so months ago now. And you guys know the rest, since the union had gotten me last 2 week suspension reduced, I still had a 2 week left, and that's the one I got at the begining of this month. And now I am on my indeffinate one.

Now let me explain a couple other things. Superstore doesnt not let you change departments untill you have worked a total of 2000+ hours, I think it's 2084. I of course only have around 1600 now. And as I said erlier, departments have a senority ladder. When I started I was close to the bottom, not the very bottom though, because I am available anytime, those with restricted availability are below those with anytime regardless of how long they have worked there. SO i was at about 5th level senority. I started at getting between 10 and 15 hours a week. The #1 and 2 guys on the list get 25 hours (yeah it's shit) #3 and sometimes 4 get 20 hours a week, or 4 along with 5 get 10-15. And restricted guys get shit, usualy only 5 to 10.

Now the reason I am telling you guys this is to illustrate how Superstore screwed me as I was nearing the top of the ladder. OH and also, I also want to point out my job is the lowest payed in the store (thers only like 2 other dpt's that are the same), my job starts at minium wage, $8.00 (that may sound good in the US,. but in Canada that's still shit). Meanwhile almost evry other dpt starts at at least $8.45, and the standerd seems to be $8.75, And everybody I talk to think it's shit what we get paied, most say we should be one of the highest paid in the store for the shit we do and put up with. I am not at about $9.05 I belive, I should have gotten me last raise just before my suspension. (we get a raise evrey 521 hours).

Anyway, back to the point, after some time, the top guy (the one who trained me) moved and transferd to another store, than some quit, and some reached enough hours to change there dpt. So I fianaly after liek 8 or 9 months of working there reached 2nd on the ladder. When I first reched this level I was happy that I would at least get more hours. But instead of getting 25, I stayed at 20. Week after week I was only getting 20 hours per week, I started to wonder what the fuck was going on. But furthermore, not only was I staying at 20 hours a week, but almost every one in the dpt was geting 20 a week. So for some reason I didnt question this at the time and assumed that maybe they had decided to change how they do the schedualing. So unlike every other person that was in 2nd pefore me, I only got 20 hours a week.

Than, after a few month the #1 guy got another job and promptly quit Superstore (I didnt blame him one bit). But now I was #1, and the next week I started getting 25 hours a week. And guess what, they guy who was under me, and was also bumped up a level to become #2, take a guess how many hours he go? 25! and the schedual went back to it's origonal state. The store, and more precisly my fucking manager fucked me out of hours, and the only reason I now get 25 is because they have to.

But that's not all, there's also the fact that since I am available anytime, my manager felt it nessisary to shortly after I became #1 to constantly week after week, and month after month give me NOTHING but night shifts, and he made sure I ALWAYS worked Firday and Saturday night. This went on for a good 2 months before I called him on it and asked that I not ALWAYS work nights (because when I first started the schedual was differnt every week) but he just told me that since I was available anytime he was gonna schedual me however he wants. So this continued yet a couple more months, untill I got sick of that cock sucker and took the issue to the union, but even after doing, that, conditions didnt improve much, I got a few afternoon shifts during the week, but still worked almost every Friday or Saturday night (5-10 shifts).

Anyway, now you guys have some idea of the shit I personaly put up with there, so I think you may be able to understand a little better why I am not ready to bend over backwards for assholes.

Oh, and BTW, I actualy asside from thse isolated incidents usualy get along well with moth customers, and try to help them in spite of the fact I dont know where most stuff is in the store seeing as that's not even my job.

~Black Deatha

miyuru

Hitman said:
Why don't you just quit Superstore and find a better job. My first real job is nice and cushy.. Pay $9/hour and all I do is phone people.

lol once you find a real job, you'll realise something.

miyuru said:
lol once you find a real job, you'll realise something.

Are you talking to me, or him?

If you are talking to him and saying that's not a real job and jobs like Superstore are shit, I agree, lol

~Black Deatha

miyuru

Nah, I quoted him, so I was talking about him, not you.

I once worked on the phones too as my first job, and it's good for that - you just want money during your first job. I thought it was so cool too lol, but once you get a real job where you get some authority, and people trust you, etc., you'll realise that your first job on the phones wasn't all that.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I worked 4 years in doing night stock in a supermarket, no customers. good times.

now due to being unable to find computer work, I'm working at toysrus to pay my bills...

having never worked retail before, it was a bit of a culture shock.

but its nice to know management is pretty stupid whereever you go.

thankfully they leave me in Rzone 90% of the time since my game knowledge far surpasses anyone else working here (even my world leader)

Oh, man I would give anythign to work at Toys R Us or Wal Mart or almost ANYWHERE but Superstore.

And to the guy asking about a magazene rack, no there isnt one, we have an actual book/magazene section. Plus I honestly would want to do something to effect the managment, not something they would just have a staff member clean up, cause I lget along well with evryone else.

Also, I just got work from my freind (the #2 guy) that he was talking to the guy that was my union whitness when I was suspended, that the manager told him that they have no intention of bringing me back, so just to spite them hell out of them I will fight this with everything I can with the union, just to get back in, THAN I'll quit! Fuck them...

Maybe I should punch a customer too on the day i quit, not a random one, but one who pisses me off, or I'll just warn them that it's my last day and they picked the wrong person to mess with...

Probably not a good idea though.

~Black Deatha

I work 40 hours a week doing construction. I wake up each weekday at 5:45, work my ass off 8 hours a day as the only guy who speaks English (other than the supervisor). Oh yea, and I live in Texas. Hot weather sucks.

However, it is not as bad as the job I had as a package clerk at a grocery store for 2 years. I feel for your pain.

I do believe that every person should experience around a year of retail (or at least a holiday season). Gives you a new respect and patience the next time a line is too long or an item rings up wrong.

Jim Bowie

MrAngryFace said:
2.38 an hour?!? jesus. I make 8.76 an hour and barely get bills paid these days.
Well, I don't get taxed on any tips I collect. On a good night, I can rake in 60-70 bucks. On a regular night, 30-40. But I suppose that the sky is the limit on tips.

CavemanLawyer said:
I work 40 hours a week doing construction. I wake up each weekday at 5:45, work my ass off 8 hours a day as the only guy who speaks English (other than the supervisor). Oh yea, and I live in Texas. Hot weather sucks.

However, it is not as bad as the job I had as a package clerk at a grocery store for 2 years. I feel for your pain.

I do believe that every person should experience around a year of retail (or at least a holiday season). Gives you a new respect and patience the next time a line is too long or an item rings up wrong.

I agree.

And now there's a new development on the situation, the union made a settelment, and I got a call from my manager saying I can come back now. Woopty fucking do. I start again on Sunday.

~Black Deatha

Black Deatha said:
I agree.

And now there's a new development on the situation, the usion made a settelment, and I got a call from my manager saying I can come back now. Woopty fucking do. I start again on Sunday.

~Black Deatha

you don't work at a Bagel shop by any chance, do you?

Syckx

I honestly feel bad saying this, but Wal-Mart was probably the best job I have had thus far. When you really don't care about the store politics and the managers viewed you as relatively competant it wasn't that bad -- but my non-chalance costs me my job eventually. I work at Gamestop now and while the overall atmosphere is much better, the pay and hours are far worse. It's prefect while I am in school but I wouldn't able to live life if I had to be a full-time Gamestop employee knowing I am doing nothing to progress my life. I'm really excited to start teaching though when I finish my Bachelor's and credentialing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom