• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have played on a RTX 4080 and I'll never go back

PrimeX

For the last 2 years I am tackling cloud gaming.
Tried it first on Stadia (Rip) and was impressed at the time. Enjoyed some games I missed in the past like Doom 2016, Eternal, Mk11 and others.
But although I've played in 4k@60hz nothing stood out in the graphics department. Was on par with what I have seen on last gen consoles or older PCs.
Long story short, Stadia closed and I moved back to my switch with that awful, underpowered architecture.
Could not stand the thing, I am at times wondering why I have sold my WiiU to buy this shit but anyway the deal was done.
Enter Geforce Now. At first I took the cautious way in and played on the Priority tier for while, where you get a RTX 2080/3080 gpu. Nothing spectacular but I could play again some good games at a decent graphic level.
Last month I bit the bait and leveled up to Ultimate tier with it's RTX 4080 equivalent gpu. FUCKIN SHIT this is a jump!!!
I am playing Witcher 3 the wild hunt at 1440p@120hz, everything maxed out, DLSS 3, vsync on etc on my 65 Oled and it is breathtaking.
Also restarted Crysis 3 Remastered because it looks like a different game now. I am glad I did not finish Cyberpunk on Stadia so now I can play it on the 4080.
Now I know that the RTX 4080 is fucking expensive but seeing what it can do, I would argue that it deserves the money.

Senua

Nvidia Gpu GIF by alexibexi

zeroluck

The GPU on GeforceNow is little weaker than the actual 4080, more like a 4070ti, but still blow consoles out of the water.

PrimeX

4080 needs to be $900 to be close to being a great card. At $1200+ it's not a great card. The 7900 XTX is a much better card unless RTX really truly matters the most.

I have a 4090 and hate myself, but I am happy knowing that I have the fastest card.
Why would you hate yourself for gaming at a level that is truly enjoyable?

Gonna get one this year to live with my i5 12600k, ROG Strix B660-f, 32gb ddr5.

CPU I will not care anymore until 2026 or later. I think i7 and i9 is pretty much overpowered nonsense at this point, in my case.

Last edited:
I was super tempted to get it, it's a great card, we all agree it's a great card...but as others have pointed out it's stupidly overpriced.

If your willing to pay 1200+ dollars on a card, save up extra a few months and just get a 4090 which is my plan.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
OP should update the title: "I stream game content via Nvidia Geforce Now: Ultimate Tier using a 4090 and it's GOD LIKE".

You did not purchase the hardware, you are using the streaming service which is using that hardware and you are very impressed by it.

Lets have some truth in advertising here, the streaming platforms deserve the kudos that they earn :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

nbkicker

I recently got a 4080 , upgrading from a 2080 super, i was tempted for the 4090 but couldnt justiyfy the £400 increase ontop of the £1200 paid, but very happy with my purchase, even though for last two yrs my pc been in storage while moving homes so only used the 2080 super in first yr i bought it before being packed away. plus when going for 4080 i new i wanted to game in 4k so bought a 4k monitor at same time and use my old 1440p monitor veritcal to code on when messing with unity making games

Nvzman

Gonna get one this year to live with my i5 12600k, ROG Strix B660-f, 32gb ddr5.

CPU I will not care anymore until 2026 or later. I think i7 and i9 is pretty much overpowered nonsense at this point, in my case.
Bro you are absolutely going to bottleneck the shit out of the 4080 with that setup. Even my 13700k can't keep up with the 4080 in some games. With that setup I wouldn't go past a 4070.
I agree the i9s are largely pointless for gaming but the 12600k is not nearly as powerful as the 12700k or 13700k (especially), and the 4080/90 are really really pushing CPUs hard because of how powerful they are.

Last edited:
Bro you are absolutely going to bottleneck the shit out of the 4080 with that setup. Even my 13700k can't keep up with the 4080 in some games. With that setup I wouldn't go past a 4070.
I agree the i9s are largely pointless for gaming but the 12600k is not nearly as powerful as the 12700k or 13700k (especially), and the 4080/90 are really really pushing CPUs hard because of how powerful they are.

What. That doesn't makes sense. Maybe I will get i5 13600k, but i7 and i9 is fucking pointless. CPU are becoming overpowered, imo. BTW, i5 12600k is a fucking beast. I work with zbrush, blender, daz3d, play games at 1440p144hz, and this CPU is fucking amazing. :messenger_smiling:

PrimeX

OP should update the title: "I stream game content via Nvidia Geforce Now: Ultimate Tier using a 4090 and it's GOD LIKE".

You did not purchase the hardware, you are using the streaming service which is using that hardware and you are very impressed by it.

Lets have some truth in advertising here, the streaming platforms deserve the kudos that they earn :messenger_winking:
Indeed, but my title stands. I expect the actual 4080 to be even better 😉

Nvzman

What. That doesn't makes sense. Maybe I will get i5 13600k, but i7 and i9 is fucking pointless. CPU are becoming overpowered, imo. BTW, i5 12600k is a fucking beast. I work with zbrush, blender, daz3d, play games at 1440p144hz, and this CPU is fucking amazing. :messenger_smiling:
At 1440p (which I play at as well) or below the 4080 and especially 4090 absolutely hammer your CPU, they are extremely powerful and there's quite a few games (Spider-Man comes to mind) where below 4K it basically becomes a CPU benchmark. Alder lake and raptor lake are definitely fast but Ada architecture is even quicker. Also having 8 p-cores for gaming can make a difference in titles like Doom and RDR2, so I would not say the i7s are "pointless". Maybe at 4K but definitely not below and especially not with a 4080 or 4090.

At 1440p (which I play at as well) or below the 4080 and especially 4090 absolutely hammer your CPU, they are extremely powerful and there's quite a few games (Spider-Man comes to mind) where below 4K it basically becomes a CPU benchmark. Alder lake and raptor lake are definitely fast but Ada architecture is even quicker. Also having 8 p-cores for gaming can make a difference in titles like Doom and RDR2, so I would not say the i7s are "pointless". Maybe at 4K but definitely not below and especially not with a 4080 or 4090.
After I'm getting the 4080 (gonna get Asus tuf), I will check that. But I'm 105% sure i7 and i9 are kinda pointless for gaming in general. Waste of money. :messenger_confused:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Nice 1080p card! :messenger_grinning_smiling:
4080 and especially 4090 are best of the pack this time.

I strongly recommend to undervolt it! Take a look at power consumption: (at 21:16)

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Im with you man.

I got a 4090 and I financially damned myself for the rest of time cause now I have to keep this pace.

I'll live off Ramen noodles forever though I dont care mwuahahaha

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
After I'm getting the 4080 (gonna get Asus tuf), I will check that. But I'm 105% sure i7 and i9 are kinda pointless for gaming in general. Waste of money. :messenger_confused:
You are correct.
The 136K is the highest Intel chip you should get for a gaming rig.
If you are thinking of spending i7 money then the 7800X3D is pretty much your only choice..
A 7600X3D would have been a golden child but alas we cant have nice things.

Reallink

Nice 1080p card! :messenger_grinning_smiling:
4080 and especially 4090 are best of the pack this time.

I strongly recommend to undervolt it! Take a look at power consumption: (at 21:16)

Probably 95% of the audience buying $1300 - $2000 GPU's couldn't give half of a fuck about saving 50-100W. They'd rather have the +10fps. The 4090's are so over engineered that high power draw means most of them can clock up to to like 3.1Ghz and around +1000 on memory while running low 60's degrees on stock fan curve @ 100% load. Lot of performance left on the table trying to undervolt them down to like 2.6Ghz or something.

Last edited:

flying_sq

TBH, I think it would be an interesting move to give GeForce Now free for a year with a new GPU purchase. Buy a 4080 or higher, get the 4080 version on Geforce Now, buy a 4070ti or lower get the other tier. Might get the people who spend money on their products talking about it. OP, glad you are enjoying the high end experience via streaming, but I don't think I could do it. I'll stick to my high end desktop.

//DEVIL//

4080 needs to be $900 to be close to being a great card. At $1200+ it's not a great card. The 7900 XTX is a much better card unless RTX really truly matters the most.

I have a 4090 and hate myself, but I am happy knowing that I have the fastest card.
That's how much I paid for my card. 1400$ CAD for Strix 4080 ( traded with him my 4090 FE for 1600$ US and he gave me his 4080 Strix for 1000$ US )

He wanted to build an SSUPD case with a 4090 and with the recent ports, I am not seeing any use for 4090 when I can save that much money and end up with the best version of 4080

Thaedolus

Gold Member
No regrets buying mine around launch. Except I haven’t gotten around to upgrading the rest of my computer so it’s probably not near its full potential

Lasha

Cloud gaming is outstanding for most games. GFN has the advantage of BYOG so you can build up a PC library that will follow you if and when you decide to buy actual hardware. I am glad that you have found the light

Yep, the 40 series is pretty incredible. My 4090 doubles as a full home furnace and boosts my electric bill by at least $30 - $40 a month but i still love playing all of my games at 4k 120.

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase and anyone else who's got a 4080 or 4090. Nvidia has a world beater on their hands.

It's a little too expensive for me at the moment but maybe in future I'll pick up a 4000 series card.

For now my 3080 is enough for my gaming needs.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Probably 95% of the audience buying $1300 - $2000 GPU's couldn't give half of a fuck about saving 50-100W. They'd rather have the +10fps. The 4090's are so over engineered that high power draw means most of them can clock up to to like 3.1Ghz and around +1000 on memory while running low 60's degrees on stock fan curve @ 100% load. Lot of performance left on the table trying to undervolt them down to like 2.6Ghz or something.
Their bad. It's lower temps, easer on PSU and other components. We are talking 30% lower power consumption at same performance.

Top Bottom