• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have the loudest, most obnoxious a-hole neighbors... what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason

So my apartment shares a wall with these people who are driving me insane. Since I moved in a few months ago, it's constantly been an annoyance (maybe a once a week occurrence), but it has gotten worse in the past couple of weeks.

The guy who lives there is clearly having issues with his girlfriend or something. I'll wake up in the morning to him screaming "SHUT THE FUCK UP BITCH, SHUT THE FUCK UP BITCH, SHUT THE FUCK UP BITCH, LEAVE THEN BITCH, FUCKIN LEAVE BITCH" etc etc etc, ad nauseum. When it happens in the mornings, it's definitely annoying and obnoxious, but at least I'm already awake, right?

Well, the past two nights, I have gotten almost zero sleep because the douchebag has started doing this in the middle of the night. I think last night he was doing this over the phone because I wasn't hearing any response, I was just getting his end of the conversation, but I think she has been over there and it has happened in person before (which makes me wonder if there is any kind of violence going on).

Also last night, apparently somebody got in a fight with somebody, because I hear my neighbors from across the hall coming out there and talking to some guy who is moaning in pain. I can only make out part of the conversation taking place, but apparently this guy has his head cut open or is injured pretty badly, as my neighbor kept asking if he wanted to go to the hospital and if he was ok. How did I hear all this occurring outside, you ask? Oh, because I had moved into the living room to sleep on the couch in a fruitless attempt to get away from the douchebag yelling into his phone that I could hear clearly from my bedroom.

Here's the kicker. I was vacuuming a couple days ago at a decent hour (8pm-ish), and this guy starts banging on my wall as if to tell me to keep it down. I'm not 100% sure that's what the banging was, but it's never happened otherwise, and he was only banging when the vacuum was on.

So my question is, what should I do? Surely someone else has been in a similar situation.

Clearly these people (or this guy, I have no idea who actually lives there) are sketchy, so I'm hesitant to call the cops as it will probably be pretty obvious who did it. Furthermore, do I even have a valid complaint since it's noise coming from inside their apartment and I'm just able to hear it? Although, like I said, it has spilled outside a few times recently.

It's just driving me insane that I'm getting such little sleep. A couple more nights of this and I'm probably going to lose it. It's frustrating as hell to lay there listening to him yell and/or talk loudly ALL NIGHT.

daw840

Is the floor a tile or linoleum outside of his door? If yes then follow these steps.

1. Set up hidden camera
2. Apply copious amounts of butter to the area outside his front door
3. Post video on GAF
4. ???
5. Profit

Go talk to him and tell him about the problem. What is the worse that could happen?
Maybe take a 9mm in your boxer wasteband

Kritz

Banned
loud_sex.png

Spherical or parabolic reflectors would of course lead to aberrant behavior.

Replace sex with yelling at someone.

Mason

BakedPigeon said:
Go talk to him and tell him about the problem. What is the worse that could happen?
Maybe take a 9mm in your boxer wasteband

See, if it were like a loud TV or people partying, I'd just go talk to him. But he's clearly unstable/violent/crazy/etc. I'm hearing him yell various takes on SHUT THE FUCK UP BITCH for 30+ minutes at a time.

Not to mention I am gone from about 8am to 5-6pm everyday, and he has a sign on his door saying "If it is after 5:30 pm, DO NOT KNOCK ON MY DOOR". Yeah, I shit you not.

Wired

I just wanted to post and say that I have one adjacent apartment and the only noise I've ever heard from there is someone playing the flute (a kid I presume) and not too badly I might ad. Man going to sleep is great, there's no noise what so ever. The only problem with an apartment this quiet is that the second hand on my kitchen clock sometimes gets on my nerves, it's really quite upsetting at times so I can relate to your problem.

I hope this post was of some help.

It sounds like the guy gets his jollies by asserting himself as a volatile bully, you do what you can to piss him off without stroking his perverted ego.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I have the same problem as I live in a slum....
I'm cool with civil disputes however this is the window across from my recording studio on the 3rd floor....
I yelled back dude got tough heard him talking shit minor threats.....
Whats a guy to do Ah?
So I left my building went into that building knocked on and explained the noise is irritating me and there are gonna be major problems if he didn't cut the shit....
Now i just hear an occasional hacking cough thats it....

Before it was you Fucking Whore I'm Gonna KILL YOU BITCH (etc.)
this is much improved and I now found peace....

Man up do something about it, if it persists then screw it wack em'

Wired

Flagrant said:
Can't you like create a 10/100Hz or something sound wave, put the speaker against the wall and make them sick?.

Didn't Mythbusters test this or something. Thank god it doesn't work, if it did can you imagine the chaos?

takotchi

Call the police each and every time. Also, give written notice to the rental office or landlord/lady.

That said, why the hell are you running the vacuum at 8pm?

Piano

Banned
Find the brown note and blast it into his apartment.
At least then you'll be entertained by what you have to listen to.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Don't call the cops thats fucking stupid how would you feel if they were called on you?
Cops are for cowards, besides they'd probably harass you for wasting their time on petty shit....

Merguson

Banned
You can sue them if it impacts your quality of life. However, that's within the Canadian Legal System, so I'm not certain how it works in the United States.

Drek

Wired said:
Didn't Mythbusters test this or something. Thank god it doesn't work, if it did can you imagine the chaos?
I knew a guy with a similar problem, but it was caused by too loud a stereo. After multiple requests he built an EMP gun and fired it through the wall at several points, frying every piece of electronics in his neighbor's apartment.

GIGA-WIN?

'Course in this scenario you just gotta sack up and not be a pussy. Tell him you're sick of hearing his personal issues and to get shit sorted or at least tone it down, or you'll punch him in the throat.

daw840

Drek said:
I knew a guy with a similar problem, but it was caused by too loud a stereo. After multiple requests he built an EMP gun and fired it through the wall at several points, frying every piece of electronics in his neighbor's apartment.

GIGA-WIN?

'Course in this scenario you just gotta sack up and not be a pussy. Tell him you're sick of hearing his personal issues and to get shit sorted or at least tone it down, or you'll punch him in the throat.

WHAT? How the hell do you build an EMP gun?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Drek said:

GIGA-WIN?

I need to know if this is true, and how to recreate it. It'll help me out a lot if I have the luck of moving in next to neds who play Scooter from 11am to 1am every day.

RetroMG

The EMP Gun thing is pretty cool. Going to keep that under my hat for a while.

I had a similar problem. Upstairs neighbor, playing music, (apparently a video game) to all hours of the night. I started by going to my apartment manager and talking to them. They said they had to give him three warnings, and on the fourth complaint, he'd be given notice that he had 30 days to pack up and go. So we went through three warnings, and after three, his friend came down to talk to me, and said, "Just come up and tell us if it's too loud."
So the next time it was too loud, (and my wife was sick,) I went up there. The renter pulled me inside and loudly berated me in front of his friends about how it was NOT too loud, and I was obviously just over sensitive.

My wife and I moved out shortly thereafter, to go live with her parents. (We were in the process of buying a house, a process that started shortly after he moved in and we realized he was an asshole.) Before we left, however, I made sure to file one more complaint with the apartment manager. I don't know if they evicted him, but I sure hope so.

Agent Ghost

aka MAJIKdR46oN
Record some of the disturbances, then call the police.

Nah fuck that, just knock on his door and tell him to shut the fuck up.

marsomega

takotchi said:
Call the police each and every time. Also, give written notice to the rental office or landlord/lady.

That said, why the hell are you running the vacuum at 8pm?

This right here.

Tarazet

Record the guy's shouting, then broadcast it through the biggest speaker you can find back towards his wall on repeat.

Geez, just be an adult and go over there and tell him to keep it down. Why should it matter that he knows you are the one making a complaint?? Seriously?

I had this problem with the guy upstairs a few months ago. He was having parties late at night. I ended up going up there at 2AM one time to tell him to keep it down and he kicked everybody out. It happened again a month later and he woke up to a nice little note on his door telling him I would call the property manager and the police the next time it happened. Haven't had any problems since.

Make sure to keep clear documentation of everything you do. If you put a note on his door keep a (dated) copy. If you call the property manager or send them a letter write it down/keep a copy. Same thing if you call the police. Start with a friendly in-person "please keep it down" and gradually escalate. Eventually something will get his attention.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Mason, your post could've been written by me: our situations are word-for-word identical. I'm only thankful that I'm a sound sleeper, because it hasn't cost me [much] rest.

My neighbors are of the white trash/redneck variety, so frankly, there's no way I am going to confront either about the screaming arguments and wall-crashing, furniture-smashing fits the woman gets into on a regular basis. A destroyed desktop computer was lying on their doorstep the other morning, some pieces of which had skittered over near my door. :lol

Calling the police, at least to me, isn't really an option because there's no real reason for it. They're just an angry, dumb couple that keep trying to live together. I suppose if there were signs of physical violence or, y'know, gunshots or something, then I'd feel compelled to call, but he seems to just yell at her for being lazy and she stomps and cries and apparently breaks everything. So until I can afford a better place to live (erm, never) I keep hoping one of them will up and leave for good or just kill the other so they'll shut up once and for all.

On the plus side, they keep the oddest hours and we've never once crossed paths, for which I'm kind of glad.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Cosmic Bus said:
Mason, your post could've been written by me: our situations are word-for-word identical. I'm only thankful that I'm a sound sleeper, because it hasn't cost me [much] rest.

My neighbors are of the white trash/redneck variety, so frankly, there's no way I am going to confront either about the screaming arguments and wall-crashing, furniture-smashing fits the woman gets into on a regular basis. A destroyed desktop computer was lying on their doorstep the other morning, some pieces of which had skittered over near my door. :lol

Calling the police, at least to me, isn't really an option because there's no real reason for it. They're just an angry, dumb couple that keep trying to live together. I suppose if there were signs of physical violence or, y'know, gunshots or something, then I'd feel compelled to call, but he seems to just yell at her for being lazy and she stomps and cries and apparently breaks everything. So until I can afford a better place to live (erm, never) I keep hoping one of them will up and leave for good or just kill the other so they'll shut up once and for all.

On the plus side, they keep the oddest hours and we've never once crossed paths, for which I'm kind of glad.

Dude calling the cops at people yelling 2 in the morning is completely justified.
Disturbing the peace man. It will get their asses to shit up quick.'

TxdoHawk

Definitely talk to your apartment manager. If he/she refuses to do anything, figure out your local noise ordinances and contact the police. Be friendly and reasonable with both.

Bothering the neighbors yourself in these situations is always a poor gamble...generally if they are this bad, they're not going to care what anyone without authority says, and if you resort to the manager or police afterward they know exactly who made the call. Is it "cowardly"? Yes, but you also don't want someone who lives a door down from you pissed at you. There's plenty they can do to make your life miserable.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Hack into their wireless network and rename the SSID to "WhyYouSoLoud". That'll show him, that'll show him...nerd style!

I've lived in a variety of apartments, and dealt with my fair share of great, and fair share of really shitty neighbors. Sometimes bitching to management takes care of it, sometimes the assholes put up a noisy fight until they're generally kicked out. Just part of the fun of bachelor living I guess...

Use earplugs. They work for me. Although don't use too much or your ears might get infected or something (happened to me), but my ears recovered quickly and I still use them when I need to.

I don't have very noisy neighbors, and thankfully I only share a wall with them in the kitchen. But I do have a house construction right outside my bedroom, and I wake up late every day and sleep in the morning on weekends, when it's too noisy outside I'll just put earplugs and cover my ear with blanket and fall asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom