• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just canecelled Netfix (again)

Kagey K

Banned
So I bought Netflix from the day it came out, but once it hit 14.99 I canceled, then our cable company gave us free Netflix with our TV subscription.

Fast forward a few years and it's almost 25/month for thier UHD selection.

Why are people still paying for this?

We don't use it for the most part and it doesn't offer much anymore.

ZywyPL

Banned
Account sharing is the way to go, I wouldn't personally pay the full price aa well, especially that I'm using NF once every few months when there's something I've been looking forward to (like recent Love, Death+Robots), but fir a mere few bucks a month it doesn't hurt me to not to use it at all for a month or two.

Melon Husk

Streaming Star Trek TOS to my phone while commuting was pretty cool 10 years ago. The content rotation was the reason I didn't stay subbed.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
there's actually stuff i like watching on it. it's now £16/month if i want 4K HDR which i do because i have a 4K HDR tv. it sucks that Netflix charge that much when Amazon/Disney/Apple charge like £5-9.

this month i've watched 13 tv seasons and 12 movies. for £16 it's actually good value. i still have a shit load of stuff on my list to watch so i'll join up again at some point. might wait until july for part 2 of better call saul + stranger things.

of course if nothing interests you then yeah cancel it or don't sign up. simple. that's why i rarely sign up for Amazon/Disney. there's not much there i want to watch. I probably join Amazon most. Disney only when there is a Star Wars show. I will join to watch Obi Wan when my netflix ends in a few days but that's likely all i will watch on it. £8 for 1 tv season...not really good value.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I only have the Apple service because I got 3 months free. Netflix is not worth it nowadays, it only worked when it had everything on it. All these services fragmentation is just a mess.

sircaw

Banned
So I bought Netflix from the day it came out, but once it hit 14.99 I canceled, then our cable company gave us free Netflix with our TV subscription.

Fast forward a few years and it's almost 25/month for thier UHD selection.

Why are people still paying for this?

We don't use it for the most part and it doesn't offer much anymore.
Just god damn admit it Kagey, the real reason you're canceling your sub has nothing to do with cash, it was because you got triggered by The new Riky Gervias comedy,

Back to resetera with you :messenger_grinning: :messenger_heart:

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I always change between different provider every few months. The combo Apple TV and Disney+/Amazon Prime is probably the best for your buck.

Labolas

Yeah, I cancelled mine this month as well. All that woke ass movies and pricing made me nope out. The only thing worth watching was Seinfeld.

Jaybe

I wish they had a 1 screen 4K option for something reasonable like Disney and Apple provide. Netflix’s $21 CAD + tax / month is steep relative to competition for what you get, and I don’t need the 3 extra simultaneous screens. I’m not going to sort out some sharing scheme either since they say they want to crack down on it.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I'm cancelling once I've seen the final episodes of Better Call Saul, Bill Burr Presents Friends Who Kill and the final episodes of Stranger Things season 4.

Last edited:

Drew1440

I've ended up embracing Blu-ray again and signed up for a mail disc rental service that provide 4K BluRay discs, I still sub to Netflix every now and then, binge the content and then cancel. Whenever I've used the service I always end up doom scrolling rather than watching the stuff itself.

Daytonabot

Banned
I was also a subscriber from day one until the 4K hit $20/month. That was roughly the same time they decided to get political, and I made it very clear that it was their politics that cost them a ~20-year subscriber.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I was also a subscriber from day one until the 4K hit $20/month. That was roughly the same time they decided to get political, and I made it very clear that it was their politics that cost them a ~20-year subscriber.
And now they recently turned around, canceled a bunch of highly political children's programing that was in development, and told all their staff that if they get offended they should probably thinking about looking for a new job.

Valonquar

giphy.gif

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm going to resubscribe just so I can watch all of Strangling Things Season 4 and then I'm out like a ball sack.

If you just have the discipline to manage your subscriptions then you have tons of options available and almost no reason to complain. Just get one sub at a time. Get it for 2 months, watch what you want to watch and then switch to a different one. Apple, HBO, Paramount, Hulu, Netflix. Prime is the only one that locks a lot of people into annual contracts.

Literally the only thing stopping people is the ability to sign into a website and manage their auto-renew for 5 minutes.

Last edited:
I dumped Netflix about five years ago. I can find anything of value on Netflix elsewhere, not that there is much value in the shows Netflix creates in the first place anymore. Stranger Things is the only thing I'm still interested in and even then I'm really not sure they won't screw it up crossing the finish line.

In the early days I almost lived on Netflix after work watching shows I'd never seen, movies I missed. It was a great replacement for video rental stores (though I do miss heading to one after work with friends or family and picking out what we'd be watching/playing all weekend) and even when there was a dip in content I kept my account active because I really thought the service was going to get better once they started making their own productions. Fast forward and I find I detest the majority of Netflix-funded content. Tons of political propaganda, material that exists only to be divisive, unacceptable material targeting children, plenty of degeneracy and straight up garbage shows. Apparently they're backtracking that braindead path but it's too late, the damage is done and they deserve to fail.

I really hate that streaming services ended up adopting the shitty cable model. Endless "packages" in order to watch everything and frankly I tend to get the same streaming quality from a "watch*insert movie title*123" search result now. For anime and western animation I just hit up WCO which carried just about everything ever made and is free.

Top Bottom