• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime to add Commercials, unless you pay $3 extra monthly

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Its funny, 20 some years ago I used to buy a lot of DVDs, and spent vastly more monthly on them than the amounts people are complaining about here.
Excuse me for not clutching my pearls too tightly!
The dollar was a hell of a lot better back then. You also own those. You aren't at the whims are a giant corperation decideing they aren't going to offer any given show/movie anymore.

I have prime just for the shipping. I can get some stuff the same day since I have a fulfillment center right down the road from me.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Bold move considering prime video is easily one of the worst streaming services around.

Ill keep it for shopping but idgaf about Prime video or most other streaming services.

Cancelled Disney+ a while back, have netflix until they come down on my family shariing and then its gone, same for apple tv+. These services aren't really necessary. *hugs plex server*

Aurelius

I only have it for the free shipping. I earn the €2,99 a month easily back. But if they raise it, I'm unsubscribbing.

Neon Xenon

Granted, the vast majority of my Prime subscription is used for shopping. But for the very small handful of content I actually want to watch on Prime Video...

High time to set sail again, lads!
captain-sparrow-smiles.gif

Say what you want about Apple, but they seem to be the last one holding down the fort for commercial free content in UHD.
My phone plan gave me a free year of Apple TV+, so I'm definitely going to take advantage of that. I've been meaning to get back to Severance and start Foundation.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I remember trying amazon prime video some years ago when I was a member. I remember clicking on a video and I had to pay to watch it. I remember thinking what's the point of being a prime video member of you still had to pay to watch their videos?

Never tired it again.

Looks like I didn't miss much.

FeralEcho

Companies: we're nickle and diming our customers of every penny they have har har and make their viewing experience miserable

Also companies: Why are people pirating our shit its not fair

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I remember trying amazon prime video some years ago when I was a member. I remember clicking on a video and I had to pay to watch it. I remember thinking what's the point of being a prime video member of you still had to pay to watch their videos?

Never tired it again.

Looks like I didn't miss much.

That's not Amazon Prime Video the service lol

It's also a platform where companies can sell their content on it. Totally separate things.

Mikado

Gold Member
"Here is how platforms die: first, they are good to their users; then they abuse their users to make things better for their business customers; finally, they abuse those business customers to claw back all the value for themselves.

Then, they die.

I call this enshittification, and it is a seemingly inevitable consequence arising from the combination of the ease of changing how a platform allocates value, combined with the nature of a “two sided market,” where a platform sits between buyers and sellers, hold each hostage to the other, raking off an ever-larger share of the value that passes between them."

Thaedolus

Gold Member
You'd think so but..no. never understood it either.
Once I started making decent money in like 2010, I felt like that really wasn’t the way to go and I needed to support the products I like and such. I went back and bought Battlestar Galactica on Blu-ray even though in college I torrented it because I didn’t have cable, etc. But if streaming services are going to add commercials? Fucking yarr matey, I’m not going to judge anyone saying fuck that

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Once I started making decent money in like 2010, I felt like that really wasn’t the way to go and I needed to support the products I like, etc. I went back and bought Battlestar Galactica on Blu-ray even though in college I torrented it because I didn’t have cable, etc. But if streaming services are going to add commercials? Fucking yarr matey, I’m not going to judge anyone saying fuck that
I never maintained they made it very easy in general.
Like nobody pirates music because it's so accessible now on only one app if necessary. I have a Spotify and never looked back.

Movies and shows are a mess.
I always hates trying to figure out where a film was hosted and finding it difficult online to find it. Not to mention different regions have different movies. It was never about the money for me.

Fuuuuck that.

I think these streaming boxes and android boxes forced a lot of users into accepting a shitter way of life in general. For my money you still cannot beat a laptop or pc hooked up to your TV. It also helps to be able to view YouTube without ads or to browse the web with an adblocker. Etc etc etc.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I never maintained they made it very easy in general.
Like nobody pirates music because it's so accessible now on only one app if necessary. I have a Spotify and never looked back.

Movies and shows are a mess.
I always hates trying to figure out where a film was hosted and finding it difficult online to find it. Not to mention different regions have different movies. It was never about the money for me.

Fuuuuck that.

I think these streaming boxes and android boxes forced a lot of users into accepting a shitter way of life in general. For my money you still cannot beat a laptop or pc hooked up to your TV. It also helps to be able to view YouTube without ads or to browse the web with an adblocker. Etc etc etc.
Convenience is king. I had a huge library of MP3s I didn’t mind getting rid of once Apple Music became a thing…aside from some really esoteric stuff that’ll never see the light of day again. I give zero fucks about the fee we pay for a family account when 98% of what I want is on that service day one in lossless audio.

Movies/TV streaming is just a clusterfuck in comparison…can’t really blame people for saying fuck that and going for the convenient, albeit illegal, option.

Top Bottom