• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I like how they handled Mia’s character in REVII (warning: open spoilers!)

Neiteio

I've been in full-blown Nintendo Mode lately — Zelda! Switch! Mario Kart! Switch! — but earlier in the year I was obsessed with Resident Evil VII: Biohazard.

(Screenshots below taken on my PS4 Pro; resized to 1080p on abload.de)

residentevil7biohazarvzyzt.png

Resident Evil is my favorite series in gaming, pound for pound. I've always loved the action titles (RE4-6). I've grown to love the classics, with their fixed camera and tank controls (RE0-3). I love the hybrid approach in the Revelations sub-series. Heck, I even love the light-gun games and Mercenaries 3D. I'm not interested in other spinoffs like Operation Raccoon City and Umbrella Corps, but they don't count in my eyes — even if they do make story contributions.

Overall, the RE series is one of the most consistently enjoyable.

residentevil7biohazar7bxgn.png

residentevil7biohazarhfylk.png

That being said, I had my doubts going into REVII. It was hard to reconcile in my head the idea of an RE game where you didn't see the lead character. A big part of the series' appeal, to me, is the soap opera drama that comes with a recurring cast of attractive and loveably dumb characters. And right from RE1, every character has had a strong visual design. Note how the original cast of Chris, Jill, Barry, Rebecca and Wesker were color-coded like Power Rangers, each with armor and accessories that might seem a bit nonsensical (Jill's shoulder pads!) but make them stand out. RE has a legacy of characters that are — warning: buzzword incoming — iconic. So the idea of playing in first-person perspective, where I couldn't see who I was playing, gave me pause.

So, too, did the idea of dropping the amazing combat and mobility mechanics of RE6. Say what you will about the game's campaign, but RE6 is a spectacular shooter/brawler once you attain some mastery of its mechanics. We still need an RE6-II that puts those mechanics to the service of a well-paced campaign.

But as it turns out, RE7 is also superb.

residentevil7biohazarafadb.png

residentevil7biohazarj9x7d.png

I practically inhaled REVII when it came out, beating it on Normal, Madhouse, and then Easy for the speed run using infinite ammo. I'd like to go back for a fourth run, on Madhouse again, this time using the unlocks and looking for bobbleheads.

The new perspective allowed the devs to build suspense by limiting your spatial awareness, similar to the original. It also allowed them to hide items in places you couldn't look before, like under desks and behind cabinets. This accentuates the survival element by making it feel like you're truly scouring your surroundings for resources. There is a similar appeal to ”immersive sims" like BioShock and Deus Ex; it works just as well here in the more structured survival horror of REVII.

So the gameplay was sound. But so were the characters. And this is where Mia comes into play.

residentevil7biohazar9lkqr.png

residentevil7biohazartax4s.png

While the game's marketing focused on the Baker Family, the cannibal hillbillies holding you hostage — and rightfully so, since they're amazing villains — the best character to come out of REVII may actually be Mia, the main character's wife.

At first I was expecting Mia to be the typical doe-eyed damsel in distress. And indeed, she starts out the game this way. But there are several developments that make Mia a compelling character.

The first shift happens right in the game's prologue chapter, in the guesthouse. You find a switch hidden in the fireplace and open up a secret passage leading to the cellar. Here you find Mia locked in a cell, but of course there must be a catch — otherwise the game would be over in no time!

What I didn't expect was just how outlandish the twist would be.

residentevil7biohazar2bzk2.png

residentevil7biohazar4ky3p.png

Mia disappears for a moment, and the next time you see her, she's climbing up the basement stairs on her hands and knees — hair draped in front of her face, breathing heavily, snarling like a beast. It's imagery straight out of ”The Exorcist," ”The Ring," or in recent videogames, The Evil Within (copping liberally from both films).

You're left with no choice but to defend yourself as she throws you through a wall and tries to kill you. The moment I realized I had to hit her with a hatchet, I froze up, unsure what to do. Then I was stunned again when, moments later, Mia returned and pinned me to the wall with a screwdriver through my hand — and then cut off my hand with a chainsaw! Picking up Ethan's hand and looking at it in my inventory was a ”holy crap" moment I haven't had in this series in a long time.

It all culminates in the attic, where you have to fight your chainsaw-wielding wife in close quarters. On Madhouse difficulty, this scene is on par with the village chase in RE4. It's straight-up one of the toughest boss fights in the entire series. On Madhouse, Mia will sprint toward you with extraordinary speed. The key is to block her running attack and then hit her with the hatchet before running away. You'll want distance between you and her so that you can bait her into her running attack; blocking her close-range attack won't stagger her enough for you to counterattack. Also, note she can cut through doors and walls in her pursuit!

This whole scene left me breathless. Mia, the woman you were meant to rescue, was in fact the game's first boss — and one of the scarier monsters in RE history. But Mia's story doesn't end here.

residentevil7biohazarlnypi.png

residentevil7biohazarfdbum.png

Turns out the mind-control mold that is controlling the Bakers and attempting to control Mia not only bestows superhuman strength, but also regenerative capabilities, as well. Depending on the decisions you make later in the game, you may run into Mia in her monster form again. Either way, Mia survives the first confrontation, allowing us to learn more about her story. And there is much more than meets the eye.

Once you escape the plantation with your wife in tow, your small boat traveling downriver is capsized by an unseen monster in the swamp. You fall into the drink and black out. And when the player comes to, they are no longer controlling Ethan, but his wife Mia. It's now time for HER to rescue HIM.

Sprawling before Mia is the beached shipwreck of an oil tanker. This section of the game is criminally underrated. It's dark... It's harrowing... The suspicious silence at the start inevitably gives way to monsters on the prowl, but they're slow to appear. And with virtually nothing for defense, Mia has to sneak, run, and slam doors behind her. All of this leads to the point where Mia has a flashback to her past.

This flashback is great on multiple levels. First, we get to see the tanker when it was seaworthy, sailing the Gulf of Mexico in the middle of a storm. The corridors are clean; the floors gleam under fluorescent lights. The intrigue is immediate as Mia, brandishing a high-powered assault rife and consulting a special wristwatch, comforts a dying colleague and sets out to find an escaped subject.

As it turns out, we're not only playing as the woman we thought we'd be rescuing; she's also a badass who knows how to handle herself in a firefight. And she's no saint, either.

residentevil7biohazar0rjah.png

residentevil7biohazarscj0m.png

Everything awful that transpires in REVII is to some degree Mia's fault. She works for an unnamed bioweapons company, as the personal handler of their ridiculously dangerous "E-series" model. As the subject, Eveline, runs across the ship, vomiting up multiple times her body weight in hazardous black mold, Mia must now hunt her down and neutralize her. The black mold has the unfortunate side effect of spawning Molded, which are killing the crew and stand in Mia's way. This is one of those moments in classic RE where the devs are saying, ”Hey, we've resource-starved you all this time — feel free to kill some baddies." In this moment, Mia in REVII goes from Ripley in ”Alien" to Ripley in ”Aliens."

This reversal of power makes Mia a compelling female character. But so does the moral ambiguity. She is capable of heroic actions, but there are shades of grey here — character qualities to admire, but also to question as we realize that Mia is not what she appears, and that her double life may have been hurting not only innocent strangers, but also her husband Ethan.

Mia and Ethan will have a lot to discuss once they get home from their helicopter ride at the end of the game!

residentevil7biohazarhpk97.png

residentevil7biohazartjjm8.png

So what are your thoughts on the character of Mia and the way Capcom handled each of her shifts throughout the story? What do you think about the characters of REVII in general? Would you like to see more of Mia and Ethan in the future? And where does REVII itself rank for you in the grand pantheon of RE titles?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts... In the meantime, it's back to Mario Kart for me. :-D

residentevil7biohazar0tjwz.png

jayvo

I won't disagree. I liked Mia as a character. I also like the Baker family. Everyone was well done outside of Ethan I suppose.

Jawmuncher

Gotta say it's the opposite for me OP. In general I felt the main characters were poor in RE7, with the bakers themselves taking the spotlight of interest. Mia especially I found a weak character. Which I think is in part due to Ethan himself being a weak character as well.

The game opens well enough, but they push you into that situation so quickly with no real build up aside from the previous video I was left wondering "why should I care". "Oh but that's his wife." Ok, but that doesn't give it an instant pass into why I should care. The beginning of TLOU did a better job making me care for a character quickly and I don't even care for that opening. It's hard to care about the struggle of shooting your wife when Ethan is so unenthused by it.

The later parts don't do much better i feel either. Mia ends up just being a piece to get the story moving forward, so when it comes to choice before the flashback section there isn't even a real urgency or gut feeling of "what should I do". You're just left with "eh well I'll go with this person because of X" and you move on to where Mia should've been redeemed.

I'll admit that section idea wise was interesting. Show that Mia has more going on with her than what the story has led you to believe. So that all well and good, but the gameplay itself for that entire boat section was very uninteresting and ends up dragging the first playthroygh. But that's neither here nor there since we're talking story elements.

When the end of the boat section finishes and you reawaken as Ethan. I actually find that the "bad" ending works SO much better for this game. Ethan having to kill Mia and then go avenge her by killing Evelin was the most emotion with those characters I get the entire game. It's a shame that it's a non-canonical choice and the canon choice is rather empty with the whole "who knows if she made it out".

The end of the game when the two are finally reunited, I was still at odds. I didn't really care that she lived. Which just falls back on the whole relationship the two had the entire game. I think things could've been done a lot better for the both of them. Since the characters being husband and wife, I find that they rely on one another to develop. I wish I had cared more about Mia and Ethan while I played the game. It's one of the biggest gripes I have about it.

That's just my two cents on her development and the other characters as a whole.

As for the other questions. I wouldn't mind seeing ethan and Mia return if more development was present. For starters they can show Ethan's face, game had no real reason not to after all. As for the ranking the game itself is good, but it falls off after the dog heads and never comes close to reaching that high again. Because of that I rank it in 7th place out of 11 (0-7 with Rev 1,2, and CVX included in the list)

I loved Mia in both her presence and the overall concept, but that also lead to the overall execution of the character in the game to be a disappointment.

The player just isn't given a reason to care about Mia beyond being told you're supposed to because Ethan does. Except, Ethan doesn't act like it outside the opening and ending lines of his character. Every brief in-game interaction is him being highly suspicious and grilling her. There's nothing to give the sense that either of these two care about each other, and it's just a bunch of lies and suspicion.

In the end, we really get no closure to Mia. There's no real arc to her character. Aside from the reveal of that she is a Bioweapons handler, there's no other insight to who she is as an individual and how she deals with the things happening. Everything between her and Ethan is purposely obscured to the point of being a detriment.

Yet the game has the gall to "force" the player in choosing her in one of the worst excuses of a "choice" from even within the franchise.

Despite that, I still love her character as she certainly feels the most real of the entire RE cadt. Hopefully she becomes a larger part of the RE universe while retaining that, rather than an anime superhero caricature.

As for the rest:
  • Unless they are going to make Ethan remotely his own character and explain the BS beating around the bush hints, Ethan has no place to me.
  • Jack was great and perhaps the best character in RE7. Unfortunately, the other Baker's weren't all that well developed in comparison and suffered at the hands of the poor narrative. Ethan and Mold Girl (name escapes me) were the worst. I can write a post as large if not larger than the OP describing the issues with her.
  • RE7 is probably a middling entry. REmake, RE4, Nemesis, RE2, RE7, RE5, RE6/Code Veronica

Edit: Eveline is the name. Good chikd villain name wasted on such a crap result.

Neff

She's crap.

Why is a combat-trained bioterrorist/spy married to a Henry Normal, and why does she send him kissy Instagram shit?

Sorry Mia, but Ada got there first by almost 20 years and did it a million times cooler.

Jawmuncher

I loved Mia in both her presence and the overall concept, but that also lead to the overall execution of the character in the game to be a disappointment.

The player just isn't given a reason to care about Mia beyond being told you're supposed to because Ethan does. Except, Ethan doesn't act like it outside the opening and ending lines of his character. Every brief in-game interaction is him being highly suspicious and grilling her. There's nothing to give the sense that either of these two care about each other, and it's just a bunch of lies and suspicion.

In the end, we really get no closure to Mia. There's no real arc to her character. Aside from the reveal of that she is a Bioweapons handler, there's no other insight to who she is as an individual and how she deals with the things happening. Everything between her and Ethan is purposely obscured to the point of being a detriment.

Yet the game has the gall to "force" the player in choosing her in one of the worst excuses of a "choice" from even within the franchise.

Despite that, I still love her character as she certainly feels the most real of the entire RE cadt. Hopefully she becomes a larger part of the RE universe while retaining that, rather than an anime superhero caricature.

As for the rest:
  • Unless they are going to make Ethan remotely his own character and explain the BS beating around the bush hints, Ethan has no place to me.
  • Jack was great and perhaps the best character in RE7. Unfortunately, the other Baker's weren't all that well developed in comparison and suffered at the hands of the poor narrative. Ethan and Mold Girl (name escapes me) were the worst. I can write a post as large if not larger than the OP describing the issues with her.
  • RE7 is probably a middling entry. REmake, RE4, Nemesis, RE2, RE7, RE5, RE6/Code Veronica

Mia being in a game like RE6 would elevate her to Top Tier levels.

KDC720

I wasn't expecting her to be in cahoots with whatever corporation was responsible for Eveline, and I did like the brief Code Veronica-esque switch over to her near the end.

But otherwise I wasn't really a fan of how the story in RE7 went. I didn't buy Ethan and Mia as a married couple at all.

Neiteio

I forgot to mention this in the OP, but I also find it interesting how Ethan reacts to the situations he finds himself... More irritated than terrified, with strong survival skills to boot. I wonder if he has a similar background to Mia (i.e. formerly in the BOW biz), but unlike her he was able to leave that world behind. It'd explain the manner in which he responds to things.

Mia being in a game like RE6 would elevate her to Top Tier levels.

It would certainly be fun, but I'm also sick of that direction. I just can't care about them anymore when they all are essentially a bunch of Weskers (one being literally the case). Biggest mistake outside of mind control Jill in RE5 was shoehorning a weakness in Weaker just to make him somewhat on level with already superhuman-esque Redfield.

I think it would be fantastic to keep supporting that element in Mercs since there's no going back from that, but the stakes need to matter now. What is particularly painful about RE7 was sthat it was almost there in at least laying out a foundation, but it ultimately didn't have its own fundamental properties in order to get there.

Concepts of 7, wit of of it and 4, variation/options of 6, and the atmosphere of REmake/2/3 would be a dream. Never going to happen though.

I forgot to mention this in the OP, but I also find it interesting how Ethan reacts to the situations he finds himself... More irritated than terrified, with strong survival skills to boot. I wonder if he has a similar background to Mia (i.e. formerly in the BOW biz), but unlike her he was able to leave that world behind. It'd explain the manner in which he responds to things.

He probably is. I feel like he's too young to be the researcher killed in the purge mentioned in RE5, but I also feel like it really doesn't matter as the game itself didn't seem to care either.

Also, if dialogue is any indication than he's a Grade A idiot with the cop interaction.

Jawmuncher

Maybe. Though the Japanese guide book confirmed he was a software engineer.

It would certainly be fun, but I'm also sick of that direction. I just can't care about them anymore when they all are essentially a bunch of Weskers (one being literally the case). Biggest mistake outside of mind control Jill in RE5 was shoehorning a weakness in Weaker just to make him somewhat on level with already superhuman-esque Redfield.

I think it would be fantastic to keep supporting that element in Mercs since there's no going back from that, but the stakes need to matter now. What is particularly painful about RE7 was sthat it was almost there in at least laying out a foundation, but it ultimately didn't have its own fundamental properties in order to get there.

Concepts of 7, wit of of it and 4, variation/options of 6, and the atmosphere of REmake/2/3 would be a dream. Never going to happen though.

My only concern with this realistic style, is how can it support returning characters. At a point if Mia and Ethan are through the same sort of things over and over again you start to wonder what exactly is normal. Hell if rven argue Ethan wasn't very normal with how some of the events in RE7 played out. The Mutated Jack fight being a big stand out. It's neither here nor there, but just seems like an issue this series is always going to have now going forward.

Mia is one of the coolest elements/twists I have seen in a long time.
Specifically her gameplay.

0. Typical damsel.
1. Super tense and absolutely helpless, even more than Ethan at the start.
2. Holy shit im actually a badass umbrella-ish agent with a machine gun
3. Despite returning to situation #1 you now feel powerful knowing this background, I was running around knifing shit like I was HUNK or something.

Honestly the section before that to the start of the mine is my favorite part of the game.

Everyone outside of Jack and Marguerite (and maybe Zoe) was left underdeveloped on purpose so I'm not too sure what to think of Mia at the moment. You don't even get that much time with her but from what you do get, there wasn't anything particularly memorable outside of when she is being controlled by Evie. I did enjoy the more action oriented section with her but she didn't really strike me as a more interesting character because of it, it was just what she was involved with that was the interesting bit.

I do hope we get more of both her and Ethan though as there are more to those two than what meets the eye. I also hope the whole story of RE7 isn't treated like a separate incident in the whole scheme of things.

HeatBoost

how do you marry a someone without finding out that she works for what is basically an offbrand umbrella corporation?

it's a shame you couldn't save the Bakers instead of this skinny Hunk in a tanktop. She's like the third most evil character in the game behind Evie and Lucas.

Maybe. Though the Japanese guide book confirmed he was a software engineer.

My only concern with this realistic style, is how can it support returning characters. At a point if Mia and Ethan are through the same sort of things over and over again you start to wonder what exactly is normal. Hell if rven argue Ethan wasn't very normal with how some of the events in RE7 played out. The Mutated Jack fight being a big stand out. It's neither here nor there, but just seems like an issue this series is always going to have now going forward.

I think realistic can still venture, if not frequent, the fantastical without going to just shy of wall running and capes. I don't think it can continue in first person for long though, as it doesn't offer much in the way most RE fans likely want to see introduced.

Everyone outside of Jack and Marguerite (and maybe Zoe) was left underdeveloped on purpose so I'm not too sure what to think of Mia at the moment. You don't even get that much time with her but from what you do get, there wasn't anything particularly memorable outside of when she is being controlled by Evie. I did enjoy the more action oriented section with her but she didn't really strike me as a more interesting character because of it, it was just what she was involved with that was the interesting bit.

I do hope we get more of both her and Ethan though as there are more to those two than what meets the eye. I also hope the whole story of RE7 isn't treated like a separate incident in the whole scheme of things.

Marguerite was criminally underwritten to the point where in conjunction of the poor showing for the rest beyond Jack indicates that the more likely case was development focused on him. Zoe was also clearly abandoned at some point from whatever original intentions may have been there. Other than Ethan and Mia, there isn't much support of it all being intended as being suggested. Evelyn for example has no reason to be underdeveloped on purpose, especially as the game attempts to force the player to sympathize with her despite the writing and scenes not supporting that direction at all.

Neff

I wonder if he has a similar background to Mia (i.e. formerly in the BOW biz), but unlike her he was able to leave that world behind. It'd explain the manner in which he responds to things.

He's alleged to be a scientist referenced in RE5, which is the only reasonable explanation for Mia and Ethan doing the True Lies thing. It's not apparent yet though if he really does have a bioterrorist background or if it's just a fun easter egg thrown in by the developers. RE7 is still playing coy, but we've got two big pieces of DLC yet to come.

Marguerite was criminally underwritten to the point where in conjunction of the poor showing for the rest beyond Jack indicates that the more likely case was development focused on him.

Perhaps, but Marguerite still really shines, more so than any character in the game apart from Jack imo.

how do you marry a someone without finding out that she works for what is basically an offbrand umbrella corporation?

it's a shame you couldn't save the Bakers instead of this skinny Hunk in a tanktop. She's like the third most evil character in the game behind Evie and Lucas.
It's a common theory that Ethan is spying on Mia and works for the good version of Umbrella with Chris. It would explain his lax attitude throughout the game as well as the "What took you guys so long?" line at the end.

I thought it would have been fun if they had pulled a twist and Ethan turned out to be Hunk retired or something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At least it would have made sense with his inhuman paid thresh hold. Also would have explained meeting Mia a lot better.

I wonder if that was the original plan tbh.

She's about as interesting as wet cardboard--her and Ethan both. They're the central characters and I cared less for them than some throwaway characters like Marco.

Mia boils down to this: great idea, terrible execution. By the time we know everything, it's basically the end of the game and we're expected to give a rat's ass about someone who's essentially been a black hole of personality, simply because we find out she's been under the influence of Evie.

Okay, cool. Makes sense and is a somewhat justifiable reason. What doesn't make sense is why she never, ever seemed like herself in any of the scenes before the ship where she's clearly in control. The devs basically tried to drill her Mary Sue qualities into the player for the payoff at the end, but what ended up happening was making it feel like I was hitting a brick wall.

If she was this badass special agent, how come she always came off as useless when aware? No muscle memory to speak of (until we get to the ship, conveniently), always with rounded shoulders to signify demureness, with no hint that she was anything greater than just someone that needed to be rescued. Eyes inattentive and distracted.

The playable scene with her trying to not get caught is embarrassing in retrospect, because when she gets caught she's just yelling for Ethan to save her, even though she threw a kick and tried to fight back for a second. Yawn. But that's not actually important, 'cause the whole thing was just a way for the devs to try to make us care for her (and a taste of what's coming up), even though it's already obvious our main goal was to save her. Like, it did her no favors as a character, it failed at getting an emotional response from me, and the only thing it did was its job to let me know what gameplay might be coming up next, and clue me in that I'll be lucky to get anything else out of this character besides "I have to tell you this, but not right now because reasons" and states of stupor.

I wasn't wrong.

When it was time to make a decision, I went with Zoe. It did take me a while, simply because I was thinking, "Well, the game is all about saving Mia, so it's super obvious they want me to pick her. If I don't pick her, I'm probably going to get some bullshit route," and I was wary about how much of a waste of time it would be (I didn't know there'd be multiple endings). But I stuck to my guns ("Mia is fucking shit and I like Zoe better. How sad is that?") and picked Zoe, even though I knew it was the "wrong" choice. That's how shit Mia was to me.

Well, bullshit did happen (Zoe immediately dies. RIP), but as the game went on and I reached the end, I thought, "Damn, that route was actually pretty cool." I actually liked Mia a little better after Zoe started to reveal stuff about her (amazing how some knowledge about someone can make you empathetic towards them). It was basically an infodump, and I appreciated it because I was parched. Zoe dies, Ethan gets knocked out and... wtf, I'm controlling Mia now? What? Such a jarring cut cemented into me then the fact that, yeah, "wrong" route, pal, haha.

I warmed up to Mia a bit on the ship (flashback section), but there was always that nagging feeling in the back of my head (before seeing Evie), "oh, suddenly she's a badass, huh? She sure learned how to handle a gun fast." In FPS games (zombie shit), I always wonder to myself how everyone becomes a pro at handling guns in such a short amount of time. It's my suspension of disbelief playing with itself, but in RE7's case, it actually led somewhere--which I appreciated and immediately groaned about later. See paragraph 3, sentence 3.

One of the best scenes in the game isn't even canon! I really liked the final fight against Mia on the Zoe route. It was actually quite sweet and touching how, after saving you (Ethan), you kill yourself (Mia as Ethan) because Evie's about to take full control. The lead-up was very tender, and I actually did feel kind of bad that this is how it ended because I was starting to not hate Mia. Along with the ooze world scene with the Bakers, this was the only real "human" scene in the game, and it was wonderful. "lol not canon." Sigh.

Anyway, I don't want to rant anymore, and I've said this before: the groundwork for Mia and Ethan is there. I'm not the fondest of either of them because they're basically a flatline incarnate in RE7, but I'm interested to learn more about them in RE8 or what have you, especially if they're both involved with Umbrella/another corporation. As it is, they're both mostly boring shit and have about as much impact as the dead goat in the beginning of RE5.

So what if she's just a bit more than a damsel in distress, that's like the lowest standard of quality for a female character. For a game that dangles Mia as your MacGuffin, it really doesn't make me care for her character that much and more likely just put my hands up in the air as more nonsensical plot developments happen which I guess is typical for a Resident Evil game so I'm not emotionally invested. Her becoming a boss and then the game introduces that you can just lose limbs but put them back on like nothing because of mold regenerative whatever made me care less about the stakes. Even despite making her playable in one section, I don't get the sense of how Mia is as a three dimensional character. The game doesn't really focus on the Ethan/Mia relationship. Why are they married? What makes them tick? What are they really like? Why are they worth caring about?

It's rare for a videogame to have a developed married couple, and Resident Evil 7 just isn't quite there compared to Monkey Island or Uncharted.

There are morally ambiguous female characters done with far better execution in videogames like with Silent Hill's Maria/Mary and Max Payne's Mona Sax.
269353-sh2maria.jpg

Mona-Sax.jpg

Jawmuncher

I think realistic can still venture, if not frequent, the fantastical without going to just shy of wall running and capes. I don't think it can continue in first person for long though, as it doesn't offer much in the way most RE fans likely want to see introduced.

Marguerite was criminally underwritten to the point where in conjunction of the poor showing for the rest beyond Jack indicates that the more likely case was development focused on him. Zoe was also clearly abandoned at some point from whatever original intentions may have been there. Other than Ethan and Mia, there isn't much support of it all being intended as being suggested. Evelyn for example has no reason to be underdeveloped on purpose, especially as the game attempts to force the player to sympathize with her despite the writing and scenes not supporting that direction at all.

I do think that's a good point. They can definitely do more. But the first person does seem like it'll be a huge hindrance for this style as things went on. Unless there's some big changes. To this day I still say Outbreak was the best in terms of having the RE feel and combining regular people into the situation. I think the fact that you had to use everyday objects as weapons and other such things helped immensely in that regard.

There's no pleasing you people until someone is HUNK.

Revelations 2. The best of the Resident Evil Revelations titles.
Jawmuncher I will fight you :)

Nah don't worry. I won't disagree on that (So long as we're talking Rev 1 vs Rev 2 only)

She's about as interesting as wet cardboard--her and Ethan both. They're the central characters and I cared less for them than some throwaway characters like Marco.

Mia boils down to this: great idea, terrible execution. By the time we know everything, it's basically the end of the game and we're expected to give a rat's ass about someone who's essentially been a black hole of personality, simply because we find out she's been under the influence of Evie.

Okay, cool. Makes sense and is a somewhat justifiable reason. What doesn't make sense is why she never, ever seemed like herself in any of the scenes before the ship where she's clearly in control. The devs basically tried to drill her Mary Sue qualities into the player for the payoff at the end, but what ended up happening was making it feel like I was hitting a brick wall.

If she was this badass special agent, how come she always came off as useless when aware? No muscle memory to speak of (until we get to the ship, conveniently), always with rounded shoulders to signify demureness, with no hint that she was anything greater than just someone that needed to be rescued. Eyes inattentive and distracted.

The playable scene with her trying to not get caught is embarrassing in retrospect, because when she gets caught she's just yelling for Ethan to save her, even though she threw a kick and tried to fight back for a second. Yawn. But that's not actually important, 'cause the whole thing was just a way for the devs to try to make us care for her (and a taste of what's coming up), even though it's already obvious our main goal was to save her. Like, it did her no favors as a character, it failed at getting an emotional response from me, and the only thing it did was its job to let me know what gameplay might be coming up next, and clue me in that I'll be lucky to get anything else out of this character besides "I have to tell you this, but not right now because reasons" and states of stupor.

I wasn't wrong.

When it was time to make a decision, I went with Zoe. It did take me a while, simply because I was thinking, "Well, the game is all about saving Mia, so it's super obvious they want me to pick her. If I don't pick her, I'm probably going to get some bullshit route," and I was wary about how much of a waste of time it would be (I didn't know there'd be multiple endings). But I stuck to my guns ("Mia is fucking shit and I like Zoe better. How sad is that?") and picked Zoe, even though I knew it was the "wrong" choice. That's how shit Mia was to me.

Well, bullshit did happen (Zoe immediately dies. RIP), but as the game went on and I reached the end, I thought, "Damn, that route was actually pretty cool." I actually liked Mia a little better after Zoe started to reveal stuff about her (amazing how some knowledge about someone can make you empathetic towards them). It was basically an infodump, and I appreciated it because I was parched. Zoe dies, Ethan gets knocked out and... wtf, I'm controlling Mia now? What? Such a jarring cut cemented into me then the fact that, yeah, "wrong" route, pal, haha.

I warmed up to Mia a bit on the ship (flashback section), but there was always that nagging feeling in the back of my head (before seeing Evie), "oh, suddenly she's a badass, huh? She sure learned how to handle a gun fast." In FPS games (zombie shit), I always wonder to myself how everyone becomes a pro at handling guns in such a short amount of time. It's my suspension of disbelief playing with itself, but in RE7's case, it actually led somewhere--which I appreciated and immediately groaned about later. See paragraph 3, sentence 3.

One of the best scenes in the game isn't even canon! I really liked the final fight against Mia on the Zoe route. It was actually quite sweet and touching how, after saving you (Ethan), you kill yourself (Mia as Ethan) because Evie's about to take full control. The lead-up was very tender, and I actually did feel kind of bad that this is how it ended because I was starting to not hate Mia. Along with the ooze world scene with the Bakers, this was the only real "human" scene in the game, and it was wonderful. "lol not canon." Sigh.

Anyway, I don't want to rant anymore, and I've said this before: the groundwork for Mia and Ethan is there. I'm not the fondest of either of them because they're basically a flatline incarnate in RE7, but I'm interested to learn more about them in RE8 or what have you, especially if they're both involved with Umbrella/another corporation. As it is, they're both mostly boring shit and have about as much impact as the dead goat in the beginning of RE5.

Looks like we basically had the same feelings on this one.

So what if she's just a bit more than a damsel in distress, that's like the lowest standard of quality for a female character. For a game that dangles Mia as your MacGuffin, it really doesn't make me care for her character that much and more likely just put my hands up in the air as more nonsensical plot developments happen which I guess is typical for a Resident Evil game so I'm not emotionally invested. Her becoming a boss and then the game introduces that you can just lose limbs but put them back on like nothing because of mold regenerative whatever made me care less about the stakes. Even despite making her playable in one section, I don't get the sense of how Mia is as a three dimensional character. The game doesn't really focus on the Ethan/Mia relationship. Why are they married? What makes them tick? What are they really like? Why are they worth caring about?

]
My friend stopped at this part. I was so confused that it had affected him enough to not want to play anymore. But thinking on it, I don't think he's played too many RE games, so he didn't take it the same way as me: glad that this entry wasn't a total shift in tone like I feared and still had some humor--wacky as it was--even if it clashed with the realism it tried to portray. I loved that part (Jack chase with the leg, not the arm with Mia).

Looks like we basically had the same feelings on this one.
Yeah, I just saw. Good write-up. Definitely some similar wavelengths going on.

I was especially glad to see we both liked the bad ending more in terms of development. Better Mia alive and a snoozefest than dead and having a good run, I guess.

...I really can't get past how much better she is dead than alive. Sequels!

Neiteio threads, whether you agree or not, always have such good OPs. This is something we can all learn from.

Mia is a character I like a lot, but my gripe comes from the fact we see so little of her. The main game is structured in such a way that Ethan - and thereby the player - never really knows what's going on. The story happens to Ethan (and the player), they can merely react to it as it occurs, and this keeps the tension up by preserving the confusion and unknowingness.

Mia, on the other hand, has a whole story we don't get to see much of. DLC excluded - the real story of Resident Evil 7 is Mia's. This story, to me, is the most interesting part of the game. But you only catch it in glimpses. Mia having such an interesting background and sidestory compared to Ethan's basic escape makes me wish there was much more of Mia to see (or play). Resident Evil 1 had full campaign's from either character's perspective. But can you imagine if you only played as Chris and only saw glimpses of Jill? Would Resident Evil have been the game it was with only one campaign?

I like RE7 a lot, but I can't help but wish I had a bigger and longer opportunity to play as Mia. Her chapter was exciting and unexpected and I enjoyed it very much. I was disappointed when we resumed control of Ethan because, by that point, all I wanted was more time with Mia.

I think RE7 is the first game I've played in a long time that had a Mary Sue POV character like Ethan. As a result, my time with him is very underwhelming compared to the short time I spent with the more developed character. I can't help but wish Mia had more screen-time and more playable opportunities.

Corpekata

Banned
Mia is let down by how bland the characters and story ended up being really. She's not a compelling character, nobody is except MAYBE the father but he's more a fun character than an interesting one.

It's such a shame they didn't lean into the weirdness it seemed like the demo might have been going toward and made such a traditional style story.

Outlast 2 is another game this year that was about a married couple, Lynn and Blake, and that relationship was also under-developed and underwhelming.

Is it only Silent Hill and Alan Wake that does well with married couples in horror games?

Ahasverus

RE7 is a fantastic loveletter to early games, and should be celebrated. But it suffers from lack of endearing characters. I was hoping I could kill Mia, she was so annoying since the start, and the twist didn't make her any better.

Top Bottom