• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need some good fantasy movies recommandations

Status
Not open for further replies.

{Mike}

Banned
So, I've been watching a couple of fantasy movies lately and I'd like to discover some more. Here is a list of what is already covered so you can recommend different movies.

*No animated movies*

Conan I-II
Dragonheart
Excalibur (so bad it's funny)
Harry Potter (all)
Highlander
Labyrinth
Lord of the Rings I-II-III
Reign of Fire
The 13th Warrior
The Chronicles of Narnia I-II
The Neverending Story I-II
Willow

Forkball

Does it have to be western fantasy? If not, you should check out The Great Yokai War:

61MJ8PET12L.jpg

It's kind of a typical "random kid gets involved with mystical world while his own world is at stake" kind of film, but it's exciting and has a lot of strange and unique monsters (yokai). It has a lot of elements of children's fantasy, but it can be pretty dark at times. It also has Gogo from Kill Bill in it.

JaseMath

Seriously, Legend is the best fantasy movie of the 80s.

Be sure to watch the director's cut w/James Horner's score. It's MUCH better.

Hellboy 2
Pan's Labyrinth
Stardust
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Delgo
The Princess Bride
Kung Fu Hustle
Hook
Jumanji
Hocus Pocus
Big

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Son of Godzilla said:
There have been a few BBC made fer TV ones.

I know, I've seen one at least and it was alright. But I don't know if you can compare the production values with Stardust.

7Th said:
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen and Time Bandits.
Definitely these, plus i have to reiterate the awesomeness of Stardust. Hellboy II is also a good pick.

I watched City of Ember a couple of days ago and thought it was really solid and totally underrated. It generated a real sense of adventure and there was some amazing production design.

Not a movie, but the miniseries "The Storyteller" has some deliciously twisted and funny fantasy stories. Well worth a watch.

hiredhand

Der Himmel über Berlin
Brazil
A Chinese Ghost Story
Zu Warriors (1983)
The Science of Sleep
Brand Upon the Brain!
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
The City of Lost Children
Delicatessen
Arizona Dream
Jason and the Argonauts (and all the other Ray Harryhausen films)

and most importantly...
pl_1_thumbnail_1.png
1099421~Return-To-Oz-Posters.jpg

tekumseh said:
Flesh + Blood

Only kinda fantasy, but still 100% awesome Verhoeven madness.

Rutger Hauer in full bad-ass mode.

Jennifer Jason Leigh naked for almost half the movie!

Dog carcass as weapon!

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
So happy to see so many people posting Stardust. Every few years there's a movie that comes out and I just feel like it's incredible, but NOBODY ever even talks about it. High fidelity was like that when it came out. in that same vein (not stylistically but in the 'criminally underseen' category) was Stardust.

snaildog said:
Jesus Christ, The Princess Bridge. One of the best movies ever, let alone fantasy movies.

I heard that bridge is awesome, fwiw. no tolls and it never shakes when the wind blows.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Ctrl + F "Krull"

Oh fuck you guys.

polyh3dron said:
Stardust, The Fall and Pan's Labyrinth
Stardust doesn't come up on Netflix. has it been released in the US?

& I'm gonna assume you guys mean the 2006 movie when you bring up The Fall.
- added to the netflix list

snaildog said:
Jesus Christ, The Princess Bridge. One of the best movies ever, let alone fantasy movies.
umm The Princess Bride? I will assume you meant to say BRIDE. & yes very good movie. haven't watched it in a very long time though. maybe I'll add that to the netflix list too.

I just watched Stardust on Showtime. Great movie. I would recommend it.
Claire Danes*, Robert De Niro & Michelle Pfieffer.
How come I've never heard of this movie before this thread?

*she actually looks good in this movie. she doesn't look good with short hair.

Ganondorfo

In the name of the king: a dungeon siege tale with great actors jason statham, ron perlman, ray liotta, john rhys-davies,...

Also outlander with caviezel, ron perlman.

AniHawk

BlackNMild2k1 said:
Stardust doesn't come up on Netflix. has it been released in the US?

It's in the US and we ordered it through Netflix.

I can't believe you never heard of The Princess Bridge.

El Papa

JasonMCG said:
Seriously, Legend is the best fantasy movie of the 80s.

Be sure to watch the director's cut w/James Horner's score. It's MUCH better.
Vangalis blasts your ass! Actually I like both for different reasons. Did you ever read on of the early scripts? It was a LOT darker and sinisterer.

No mention of CLASH OF THE TITANS?

AniHawk said:
It's in the US and we ordered it through Netflix.

I can't believe you never heard of The Princess Bridge.
When I looked up The Princess Bridge & Stardust on Netflix I didn't get any exact title matches.

Today(after I watched it on Showtime) Stardust showed up on Netflix.
I just looked again and The Princess Bridge still doesn't show up on Netflix, just The Princess Bride. I've checked multiple times with no luck.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
El Papa said:
Vangalis blasts your ass! Actually I like both for different reasons. Did you ever read on of the early scripts? It was a LOT darker and sinisterer.

No mention of CLASH OF THE TITANS?

I think it was Tangerine Dream, not Vangelis.

Link Man

Banned
BlackNMild2k1 said:
When I looked up The Princess Bridge & Stardust on Netflix I didn't get any exact title matches.

Today(after I watched it on Showtime) Stardust showed up on Netflix.
I just looked again and The Princess Bridge still doesn't show up on Netflix, just The Princess Bride. I've checked multiple times with no luck.
How about Bride to Terabithia?

El Papa

Link Man said:
How about Bride to Terabithia?
I read this book when I stayed the night at a friend's house and had to take a dump in the middle of the night. I thought it was going to suck but it was actually a pretty good young adolescent book.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Legend is a must imo. Although I liked the music in the Director's Cut, the movie flowed better and was ultimately better imo w/the Theatrical Cut. Anyway, concerning The Princess Bridge, did you mean The Princess Bride? Also, how can no one mention The Lord of the Rings? I know everyone has probably seen it, but it still needs to be mentioned.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
MadOdorMachine said:
Legend is a must imo. Although I liked the music in the Director's Cut, the movie flowed better and was ultimately better imo w/the Theatrical Cut. Anyway, concerning The Princess Bridge, did you mean The Princess Bride? Also, how can no one mention The Lord of the Rings? I know everyone has probably seen it, but it still needs to be mentioned.

LotR meh! A badly paced, CGI borefest. Doesn't hold a candle to some of the better fantasy films mentioned in this thread.

Anobyl

Pan's Labyrinth

I didn't really like Stardust, but that's probably because I read the book just before seeing the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom