• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I said it... WuTang is overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The WuTang clan is overrated. I came to this opinion after listening to Liquid Swords, 36 Chambers, Cuban Linxxx, Pretty Toney (Who the fuck wants to listen to Ghostface have bathtub sex with his girl) Supreme Clientele, and Tical. Listening to their albums is like a chore to me. The production is too "gritty" or erm... boring. Hell, half the time they are just fill rapping. They aren't saying anything. This is especially evident when listening to Ghostface. WTF!? Half his lyrics make ZERO sense. What the fuck!? I'm sure many of you can come up with a wide array of examples to illustrate my point. Don't get me wrong, I like when they collab with different artists. Tony was tight on "Special Delivery" and RZA's production prowess was greatly exemplified on the Kill Bill OST. But Jesus, all this shit is boring to me. ODB can be okay...

BTW: Weren't they supposed to break up?

EDIT: This only came about because my cousins in the NGA bump this shit like it came out yesterday. I burned a buncha CDs for them.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Enter the Wu is fucking ridiculous. If you can't appreciate that gem, then there is no hope for you at all, sir.

I'm not a big fan of the side projects, either, to be honest... or anything that isn't Enter. GZA's stuff isn't bad at all though, I really like Liquid Swords.

shuri

Banned
I'm not a big fan of hiphop but i own a copy of Enter the 36 Chambers; I like the angry vibe of the cd.

I have a fairly refined and eclectic taste in hip hop music. That includes sub/side genres such as dancehall. That being said, I feel that G-Unit boy band sucks, PROPER. You probably listen to 50 with a half boner or something.

VPhys

I've been saying this for 10 years. On an unrelated note, the new Roots album is pretty terrible, except for the 1st track.

VPhys said:
I've been saying this for 10 years. On an unrelated note, the new Roots album is pretty terrible, except for the 1st track.

Very true. Again, aside from Organix, I find the Roots to be a chore to listen to. I like the beat of "Don't Say Nothin'" though.

Mumbles

pollo said:
tipping point > phrenology

That's not saying much, but I have come to like Tipping point.

And anyone who says "ODB can be alright", but can't find anything good in Only Built 4 or Liquid Swords, and slams Ghostface for not making sense needs to stop listening to rap.

Now.

No, stop listening to that Dizzee Rascal CD.

Mumbles said:
That's not saying much, but I have come to like Tipping point.

And anyone who says "ODB can be alright", but can't find anything good in Only Built 4 or Liquid Swords, and slams Ghostface for not making sense needs to stop listening to rap.

Now.

No, stop listening to that Dizzee Rascal CD.

Klashnekoff > Dizzee

I don't even listen to Tipping Point anymore, there's little replay value. Mmm maybe I should give it a second try...

Trevelyon

Mumbles said:
I think the song was actually called "Wu Wear".

Yes, Wu Wear - The Garment Renaissance

xxrotflmao.gif
xxrotflmao.gif
xxrotflmao.gif

Dizzee is tight. The production is a lot different from what is/has been going on over here. I like it. I find his street Brit accent to be funny as well. I just copped his latest joint, though I have had no time to listen to it. ODB can be funny as well. I like the truly dirty style in which he raps. It litterally sounds like he is spitting on you. It can be great at times. WuTang can be good at times, but over all, they aren't that great. The Muppet Babies are a more entertaining crew.

Renegade

Banned

Man

"Dizzee is tight"

"Ghostface doesn't make sense"

C'mon man...

...come on...

You doing drugs?

You even praised ODB man... One of the most garbagest lyricists in a long time (But he became popular much in the same way Afroman did - Shock rap)

You can't be serious duke...

bjork

I like the first ODB album. Every time I hear it, I think "he could be a good singer if he was like... a normal human being."

Yes iIunderstand his showing his Jamaican Heritage, but damn the boy makes no sense, unless you really concentrate on his lyrics. That said, he has a very simplistic rhyming scheme and his production is an 'acquired' taste.

yes...coccaine is a helluva drug, and this thread proves it.

all albums from enter the 36 - wu forever are dope and str8 classics.

especially enter the 36 and Only built for cuban linx (one of my all time favorite albums)
Every album after had a good song here or there but the rest of the songs were just medicore as hell or wack.

your ears need some serious refinement or something, either that or your tastes just suck.

OR you're just really feminine, being that most of wu's old stuff are geared towards males which is why most females dont care for wu tang.

also, Tipping point is decent, but I expected so much more.

Illadelph halflife >>>> tipping point

peace

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The Black Stallion said:
The WuTang clan is overrated. I came to this opinion after listening to Liquid Swords, 36 Chambers, Cuban Linxxx, Pretty Toney (Who the fuck wants to listen to Ghostface have bathtub sex with his girl) Supreme Clientele, and Tical. Listening to their albums is like a chore to me. The production is too "gritty" or erm... boring. Hell, half the time they are just fill rapping. They aren't saying anything. This is especially evident when listening to Ghostface. WTF!? Half his lyrics make ZERO sense. What the fuck!? I'm sure many of you can come up with a wide array of examples to illustrate my point. Don't get me wrong, I like when they collab with different artists. Tony was tight on "Special Delivery" and RZA's production prowess was greatly exemplified on the Kill Bill OST. But Jesus, all this shit is boring to me. ODB can be okay...

BTW: Weren't they supposed to break up?

EDIT: This only came about because my cousins in the NGA bump this shit like it came out yesterday. I burned a buncha CDs for them.

Are you MAD dude!? His lyrics not making sense is the fucking point!

Supreme Clientele is one of the finest albums put together. Every track follows the next effortlessly. and the skits fit the tone perfectly. It's one of maybe two albums I can listen to all the way through without skipping songs and without putting it on random.

Anyway, again, his lyrics not making sense is the point. Listen to Buck 50 on that album, he flows a lot better than anyone else on the album without saying anything. And what are the other fucking rappers saying anyway? How tough they are? How many women they get? Might as well say absolutely nothing. Ghostface tossing around superfluous lyrics is a lot more pleasant to listen to than what amounts to bragging by other artists.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
yes...coccaine is a helluva drug, and this thread proves it.

OR you're just really feminine, being that most of wu's old stuff are geared towards males which is why most females dont care for wu tang.

I have a 9 inch appendage between my legs that disputes your notions as to my masculinity. Furthermore, I don't do drugs. I don't even take tylenol. That being said, all my comments were made with clear judgement and sound mind. Those who dispute my reasoning are wrong. Also, I like a little substance with my music. If I wanted to listen to incoherent babbling I would listen to Westly Willis. I would also like to add that my tastes are better than a fresh glass of lemonade on a hot Summer's day.

Teddman

Yeah, this thread would have been controversial about 10 years ago. ;)

The only shocking thing about your opinion is that you're just now getting into the Wu...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The Black Stallion said:
I have a 9 inch appendage between my legs that disputes your notions as to my masculinity. Furthermore, I don't do drugs. I don't even take tylenol. That being said, all my comments were made with clear judgement and sound mind. Those who dispute my reasoning are wrong. Also, I like a little substance with my music. If I wanted to listen to incoherent babbling I would listen to Westly Willis. I would also like to add that my tastes are better than a fresh glass of lemonade on a hot Summer's day.

Why make the topic to begin with then? Do us a favor, keep to yourself with your notions that are apparently better than our incorrect ones.

For the record, most of rap is incoherent babbling. ;p

Mumbles

Trevelyon said:
Yes, Wu Wear - The Garment Renaissance

Yup, that's the one. "Ain't what you want, baby, it's what you need, baby...I got this wine on my mind, feeling fine, darling."

The Black Stallion said:
Dizzee is tight.

Somehow, I just knew you would think that.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Illadelph halflife >>>> tipping point

Well, but again, that's not saying much. I'm not saying that Tipping Point is their best album, just that I can see what they were going for, and it was better than Phrenology (which was a disappointment only rivaled by Aceyalone's "Love & Hate" as far as I'm concerned)

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
WuTang is dead but these albums are hot...

B0001W8DXS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

+

Theodore Unit - 718

Teddman

Yeah, Ghostface is still holding down the Wu, he's about the only one. Most consistent member they have.

Pretty Toney rocks, I love tracks like "Be This Way," "Biscuits," "Save Me Dear," and "Tooken Back." Another solid album throughout from Ghost...

Dilbert

Like any other group which put out a TON of product, Wu (as a group and as individuals) is hit-or-miss. When they hit, however, it's great shit.

I can almost understand the comment about how listening to them is "like a chore," since their sound can be chaotic. Sometimes, you're just not in the mood for that kind of sound. But the Wu is practically Musak compared to, say, Def Jux. Now THERE is some exhausting shit to listen to. As much as I love El-P's Fantastic Damage, I REALLY have to be in the mood.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Black Stallion said:
You speak the truth. Def Jux can take serious work to listen to. I don't know how to explain it. Especially Cannibal Ox. Jesus Christ.

That CanOx album is crazy good. The first time I listened to it, I was totally unimpressed. I waited a few months, until it was grey and dreary as hell outside, and the album just clicked. I'm absolutely in love with it, and every day that goes by, the chance of seeing another album by them seems to dwindle. God, I hope they do another record. But I don't know how you can follow up The Cold Vein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom