• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I tried fixing my friend's old iPhone 12 mini. I think I did an ok job.

Blade2.0

qLgLs3z.jpg
AQyDDny.jpg
4zVPjOM.jpg
cHlGsLC.jpg

Blade2.0

How did you fix it then?
I replaced the housing and screen. FaceID is serialized to the original phone and since it was busted it won't work but everything else does. You can't buy third party parts for many new apple products. The cameras are also serialized to only work for the original motherboard. They're very anti-repair. But luckily only the FaceID was completely busted so it all works but that.

Last edited:
Didn’t some laws getting pass here even in the USA to help with this? Some the right to repair stuff. Cause I know farmers having a hard time with the new John deer tractors just to repair them

That looks like some major damage. I mean it's good if you stopped parts going to waste but by the looks of it you'd need a new front/back glass and casing (which is basically almost the whole phone). maybe even a new motherboard. i'm not familiar with the internals of modern iphones.

what did you do to fix it? edit: maybe i should read the posts first lol!

i remember cracking my iphone 3G screen and i bought a new front glass and digitizer. i managed to get it back together looking new but the touch panel was broken lol. i took it back to the store i got it from and they gave me a replacement so it was good enough to fool them lmao.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
iPhone 12, 13 minis are exciting devices it’s crazy they no longer make minis, it’s weird that the iPhone 4 is about the same size as an iPhone “mini”.

iPhone 12, 13 minis are exciting devices it’s crazy they no longer make minis, it’s weird that the iPhone 4 is about the same size as an iPhone “mini”.
not many people like small phones that's why they ditched it. even the next SE is rumored to be going up to 6.1" from 4.7" so 6.1" will be the smallest iPhone you'll be able to get. the Pro Max or "Ultra" is going up to 6.9" next year i think.

Dural

That looks great! What was the cost? Did you have any special tools for repairing it? I have an old iPad mini and iPad Pro with cracked screens that I don't think are worth taking to get repaired but I'd like to try myself.

Blade2.0

I'd say that was a resounding success
Thanks a lot and to everyone else that said so.
Fix my broken heart.
I would if I could!
The real question is what on earth happened to that phone for it to get mangled like that in the first place?
He likes to hike and rock climb so he dropped it on some rocks one day.
That looks great! What was the cost? Did you have any special tools for repairing it? I have an old iPad mini and iPad Pro with cracked screens that I don't think are worth taking to get repaired but I'd like to try myself.
It was $77 for the housing. You can get cheaper ones, but I didn’t want to fool with the small parts so I used a housing that came with them preinstalled. 58 for the new OLED, and then I also put 18 on a new battery, but I didn’t have to do that. His battery still worked I just thought If I’m replacing all this I might as well get a max capacity battery as well.

Enjoy hearing complaints if anything at all goes wrong with his phone from here till the end of time. And you can look forward to your friend ignoring you if you ever actually need anything from him..

Good job on the repair though. Next time charge for labor.

Blade2.0

Enjoy hearing complaints if anything at all goes wrong with his phone from here till the end of time. And you can look forward to your friend ignoring you if you ever actually need anything from him..

Good job on the repair though. Next time charge for labor.
He already bought a new phone. So I get to keep this one for myself.

Typed from my iPhone.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Apple is one of the most, if not, THE MOST anti repair company of all!
Very true and the fact that OP did this is commendable for sure. There's a Dutch electrical engineer who used to fix all my phones and has worked with nearly every brand / generation of cell phone. He warns people not to bring him iPhones as he put it, "the repairs may not stick and these are never going to be repair friendly." I have like 3 dead iPhones all of which were once 'repaired' and started having issues less than a few weeks after.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Looks like he was in the rock climbing ordeal where the guy cut his arm off.

The story now has a happy end: the phone has now been saved against all odds.

Blade2.0

Very true and the fact that OP did this is commendable for sure. There's a Dutch electrical engineer who used to fix all my phones and has worked with nearly every brand / generation of cell phone. He warns people not to bring him iPhones as he put it, "the repairs may not stick and these are never going to be repair friendly." I have like 3 dead iPhones all of which were once 'repaired' and started having issues less than a few weeks after.
If you want to send me the iphones i'd try and repair them again. 😅😅 It was actually kind of fun to do.

Top Bottom