• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I tried to 'zing' a marine today and got put in a chokehold =(

Vieo

The following is a true story that happened at approximately 12:05PM today. Certain names have been replaced with false names to protect my identity.

I was leaving school today and heading to the train station. There was this girl, let's call her "Sue" who I was walking with. She really isn't my gf or anything like that (but I've been working on her since the beginning of the semester). So, "Sue" is talking on and on. I usually don't listen to much of what she says because most of what she talks about is pure s!$# (did you this movie? did you see that movie? which cellphone do you think I should get? etc. etc. Just think "adult teeny bopper". Her only saving grace is that she likes DBZ, plays games, and watches Enterprise. Other than that, I just offer the occasional nod and "Yeah", because, after all, I'm just trying to pull a hit-and-run...).

ANYWAY, on the stretch of road(breezeway) that leads out of the school back into city-area, there's three marine recruiters. They're usually 3 days out of every month, but more recently for some reason it's like they're out there 6 days out of every month. It's usually one white guy, one black guy, and one random(of any race) woman. They usually try to recruit by having the white marine talk to white guys, the black marine talk to black guys, and the woman talk to women. I've watched them doing this before on several occasions while eating my lunch for a while now. I guess they figure people will relate better that way; very methodical indeed.

Sue and I were about 20 feet away from them...

NOW, before I continue, I would just like to say, I'm not a guy who goes looking for trouble. Most of the time I keep to myself and can be considered somewhat shy. But, at the beginning of September, I decided I was going to quit drinking soda(pepsi, coke, dew, etc.) and switch over to seltzer water. I went cold turkey and after about two weeks, I started to feel what could only be called withdrawal. Long story short, this led me to do some crazy ass things to get my sugar fix (considering I averaged 6 cans of soda a day, that's a lot of sugar to replace). So, before my classes were done for the day, I was downing Snickers bars and Ice Cream Sundae poptarts(you can eat these hot, cold, or at room temperature) in the back of my ASM class with a nice cup of coffee. By the time class was over, my sugar high was reaching critical levels.

OK, so Sue and I were about 20 feet away from the recruiters who had this table setup on the sidewalk with pamphlets. They were trying to get passerby's to come over, but they were using their 1337 dodging skills to get away. She, Sue, was still yammering about something, so I cut her off and said "Watch this! I'm gonna zing this guy!".

I didn't confront them, knowing they would come to me. So as I was walking by the table, the marine(black one) stood up from sitting down. This guy was HUGE. He had to be at least 6'10". I underestimated his size and immediately I thought, "Maybe I shouldn't mess with this guy.", but it was too late. Sue had already stop, so I had to go through with the zing or look like a chump, worst yet, in front of Sue. Heres how the conversation went.

Marine: "Now.. you look like a man of integrity!"
<I freeze at the table>
<Marine extends hand for a shake>
<I shake his hand; it easily dwarfs my own>
Marine: "What's your name, son?"
Me: "John Doe."
Marine: "Well Mr. Doe, what are you studying?"
Me: "Computer Science."
Marine: "Computer Science? Is that like with C++ and programming?"
Me: <nod><nod> "Yeah."
Marine: "What are you planning on doing with it?"
Me: "I was thinking of trying to get into something like Software Engineering."
Marine: <nod><nod> "So, did you ever think of joining up?"

It was as that moment. David Vs. Goliath. Goliath had just swung his mighty fist, David dodged and was already spinning that sling ready to strike with his stone. In this case, my zing.

Me: <I looked him in the eye sternly and shook my head> "When Bush reinstates the draft, then I'll join up. Until then, not a moment sooner!" <Promptly turns on his heels and walks away>
Marine: "Whoa whoa whoa! Wait a minute! Hey. Hold up!"
Me: <still walking, doesn't look back>

-silence-

At that moment, I was firmly believed I zinged the guy and zinged him good and in doing so, redeemed myself for those who called me an idiot for sticking by my party and voting for Nader. But I was wrong. So wrong. =(

Next thing I know, my feet are off the ground. I'm in mid-air and I'm not totally vertical 90 degree angle, but more of a somewhat 75 degree angle.

Sue: "OMG!" <laughter>

When if finally registered, I realized that recruiter had gotten his left arm under my left arm across my chest and his right arm over my right shoulder. It didn't really hurt or anything at first, so I didn't struggle for like the first 5 seconds. I tried joking my way out of it at first and said "Heeeey! This is no way to treat civilians!". He didn't say anything. It seemed like another 5 seconds passed by. He still had the hold on. By this time, some other familiar faces started to stop and watch.

I decided to take it up a notch, and try a more forceful tone. So I yelled, and started struggling, it came out more like this though, "Ay! Get offa me!". He tightened the hold and I started to feel an uncomfortable sensation where my neck meets at the shoulder.

He then turned, and spun me stopping abruptly; My legs flailing about wildly. I made copies of my transcript for insurance purposes earlier that day, so when he spun me, some of my change spilled out and bounced all over the place too.
I'm not a big guy myself. I'm only 5"7' and weigh about a buck 30, so you have to realize how ridiculous this all was. A 23 year old grown ass man getting rag-dolled in the middle of the street.

He still didn't say anything. I was starting to wonder if this guy had snapped and he was trying to kill me. Then I said to myself fuck it, he started it, I'll end it. With my free right arm, my elbow had a clear shot of his ribs. So I jab it in there once, it had no affect. The guy didn't even flinch. I jabbed it in there a second and I hit my funny bone (you know that weird thing behind your elbow that feels like a cord and feels really bad if something jams into it?) and decided not to do it again.

The guy was CLEARLY wearing body armor under his uniform. Nobody can take shots like that!

I yelled "Yo! Get off me!" again. Finally, he starts laughing and says "Had enough?". By this time, Sue is still there cracking up as well as the other two recruiters and a couple of other people I knew.

I didn't say anything just stopped struggling. He asked me if I had enough again. I didn't say anything. Then he finally let me go. When my feet hit the ground, I just bolted up the street. I didn't even bother to pick up my change or look back. =/

I've got classes tomorrow, then I'm off for thanks giving until Monday, one week after that, then I'm off until I take my finals. I'll probably just try to lay low until finals, and ride out the winter break. This thing should have blown over by then, but I can't help but wonder if I should have spent my youth playing outside instead of playing video games inside, so that I might of grown tall and had more muscle.

Don't let this happen to you. =(

olimario

Banned
I was leaving school today and heading to the train station. There was this girl, let's call her "Sue" who I was walking with. She really isn't my gf or anything like that (but I've been working on her since the beginning of the semester). So, "Sue" is talking on and on. I usually don't listen to much of what she says because most of what she talks about is pure s!$# (did you this movie? did you see that movie? which cellphone do you think I should get? etc. etc. Just think "adult teeny bopper". Her only saving grace is that she likes DBZ, plays games, and watches Enterprise. Other than that, I just offer the occasional nod and "Yeah", because, after all, I'm just trying to pull a hit-and-run...).

Classy

Sue: "OMG!" <laughter>

Looks like the Marine will be giving her the ol' in and out before you ever will.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
eh

so you told him you wouldn't sign up until Bush institutes the draft, then he put his hands on you?

Johnny Cochrane would like to speak with you.

self-pnwage. AWESOME! Dude never mess with Marines they are the most fanatical of all the services. I work with these guys all the time and they love nothing more that to get physical with a chump.

Well so much for your hit and run with Sue. I want you to think about your precious Sue getting bass taped by your marine mauler during the Thanksgivning holiday.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
You got 0wned. :lol

Moral of the story is you don't try to 'zing' a Marine. But being a Brit I'm not sure I even understand your 'zing'.

mrmyth

Moral of the story is that you don't turn your back on a military-trained motherfucker, especially after you smugly act like you just treated him like a little bitch.

Vieo

Bah! C'mon! That zing was beautiful!

I walk up to him casually, pretend I'm interested in what he has to say, then totally waste his time with a 'zing'! I totally zinged him!

It was cold out today as well. He didn't even have a jacket. Just that white cap, brown shirt with tie+ golden tie-clip, blue slacks with red strips, black shoes. I know he had to be cold. Not only did I zing him. I TOTALLY zinged him while he was freezing out there. :lol

duckroll

Sorry but that was just sad. Look on the bright side, at least it wasn't a fanatical promoter of some charismatic cult that got offended. Otherwise you might have gotten stalked and your house set on fire. :lol

mrmyth

Vieo said:

I walk up to him casually, pretend I'm interested in what he has to say, then totally waste his time with a 'zing'! I totally zinged him!

It was cold out today as well. He didn't even have a jacket. Just that white cap, brown shirt with tie+ golden tie-clip, blue slacks with red strips, black shoes. I know he had to be cold. Not only did I zing him. I TOTALLY zinged him while he was freezing out there. :lol

Yeah, you showed him. So, um, how's the neck?

And thanks for the change.

Boogie

Vieo said:

Congratulations. You zinged him. And he made you his bitch. You did not come out ahead in that encounter.

mrmyth

chokehold.jpg

Shit! My change!

IJoel

You were both foolish and ignorant in treating him that way. It's simply disrespectful to the people that serve the military.

That said, he had absolutely no right to touch you. Report him to his superiors. Behavior like that shouldn't be tolerated.

mrmyth said:
chokehold.jpg

Shit! My change!

roofles

IJoel said:
You were both foolish and ignorant in treating him that way. It's simply disrespectful to the people that serve the military.

That said, he had absolutely no right to touch you. Report him to his superiors. Behavior like that shouldn't be tolerated.

First he would have to find the Marines' name which would entail going back to the recruiting spot.

Vieo

I still think I came out ahead. No ones gonna be impressed by him lifting me up. There were two other recruiters there. The other man was much shorter and the woman was even shorter than him.

IMO, I think it shows real amount of courage to go out there, find the tallest marine on your turf, walk right up to them, and then totally zing them!

I felt just like one of those guys bursting into one of Donald Rumfield's televised press conferences and protesting!

shoplifter

IJoel said:

I don't think of recruiters as military personnel, rather salesmen.

Tortfeasor

Assuming your story actually happened the way you told it, you could go to any competent attorney and sue him for battery, assault, and false imprisonment (although since your back was turned assault may not fly). With all of the witnesses you would win $$$.

belgurdo

Banned
Vieo said:
IMO, I think it shows real amount of courage to go out there, find the tallest marine on your turf, walk right up to them, and then totally zing them!

And then get made into his bitch while your companion laughs at you.

IJoel

Tommie Hu$tle said:
roofles

First he would have to find the Marines' name which would entail going back to the recruiting spot.

Not really. He can send a letter to the recruiting office with copies to whomever he wishes and describe the incident, place and time. He can also describe the person. It should be more than enough.

Should he do it? Up to him. But he shows his disregard for the people that are simply there to do their job. Do you think it's pleasant for them to be dealing with everyone that decides to snap at them? I guess it's better than being in Iraq, but still, they are doing their job and I too would feel disrespected if anyone tried to demean or mock what I did.

It doesn't matter what you think. They are part of the military personnel.

Vieo

Assuming your story actually happened the way you told it, you could go to any competant attorney and sue him for battery, assualt, and false improsonment (although since your back was turned assualt may not fly). With all of the witnesses you would win $$$.

Bah. I'm not reporting the guy. It was all in good sport and jest. He was just joking around. If he really wanted to hurt me, judging by his size, I'm pretty sure he could of. :)

shoplifter said:

Every Marines' first MOS is Infantry.

IJoel said:
Should he do it? Up to him. But he shows his disregard for the people that are simply there to do their job. Do you think it's pleasant for them to be dealing with everyone that decides to snap at them? I guess it's better than being in Iraq, but still, they are doing their job and I too would feel disrespected if anyone tried to demean or mock what I did.

The way I see it that is a lesson learned for being a dick to someone who is doing their job. Just like all those suckers that got manhandled by the Pacers.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Yeah, a real zing would have been to say, "why would I join the marines when I could just join the Navy and have you suck MY dick?"

shuri

Banned
In French Canadian slang, "zing" means hump.. I totally lost it when my mind translated your topic into "I tried to hump a marine". I had some terrifying mental images.

Vieo

In French Canadian slang, "zing" means hump.. I totally lost it when my mind translated your topic into "I tried to hump a marine". I had some terrifying mental images.

In nature, a male chinchilla will hump other male chinchillas in his herd to show dominance. :)

Dilbert

More than any other time I can think of, I WISH I could give you a tag. (EDIT: I LOVE bish.)

To be blunt: You acted like an asshole, and the fact that you're a) proud of it and b) utterly unconcerned about looking like a pussy in public is kind of disturbing. Don't want to be a Marine? Fine, that's your business. But it's lame as hell to walk up to someone who chose that for a profession and talk shit to their face.

Even funnier, you somehow think you got the better of the exchange -- after a man picked you up squealing like a little bitch in front of a girl you're trying to impress. Yeah, you go on thinking you're a badass, dude.

Also, the word "zing" makes you sound like one of those vapid models from the Old Navy ads. Did you learn that word from an old Leave It To Beaver episode or something?

Takuan

Sounds pretty embarassing. I think the marine crossed the line putting his hands on you, it's not his job to go after people who disrespect him or his work.

Doth Togo

Instead of being a smartass, you could've said, hey, thanks for asking me...I appreciate it. However, I've already got other plans lined up and am looking forward to them. But, thanks again and best of luck.

Pros
1. You don't get put into a chokehold.
2. You don't loose any manhood you might've had.
2. You don't insult a marine.

Cons
1. Said marine doesn't get "zinged."

IMO, be polite next time and politely decline. Much classier way to deal with people.

By the way...

Vieo
"A Marine choked me out.
Now my girl's choking on the Marine. Semper Fi!"

:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom