• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I unfortunately finally know someone personally that has died from COVID-19. Here are my thoughts.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
So my next door neighbor died of COVID-19 yesterday. He was 78 years of age. Had alzheimer's and just got through battling a bad case of gout. His son and his family lives next door to him. I'm really good friends with his son's family. I coached his grandkids in basketball and cross country. We go swimming in his backyard pool all the time. Do BBQs together, etc.

The son, daughter in law and two of the grandkids (who are grown) all tested positive for COVID. So, they're in quarantine. I can't imagine having to plan a funeral and not be able to have people come to it. It's graveside only. Several people in our social circle have tested positive, so there will be no church, no sleepovers, no hanging out for awhile. My wife and I got tested and it came out negative.

Thing is, nothing could have prevented this from happening. He got COVID from one of his healthcare at home nurses. They're super cautious wearing masks all the time and being sanitary. He still go it. Literally the only people he ever sees are his nurses and his family. He is at a phase 1 shutdown in his life all the time, COVID or not.

A couple week's back I was sick with a cold. (again, I tested negative then, too). I only bring it up to say I don't know how in the world I could've gotten sick. Limited interaction with other humans, wear a mask everywhere, hand santizer, the whole 9. Unless of course, nothing ultimately can stop a virus from spreading. And that's my point. All this partial shutdown bullshit aint stopping nothing. We need to face facts that this disease is going to have to run its course. Try to take care and treat the elderly and at-risk and let the rest of us go back to our lives and take care of ourselves the best way we (not the government) know how.

The only other thing I thought about was my poor neighbor already had the cards stack against him. Alzheimer's, gout, 78 years old. They were already prepping him to be moved into a long-term care facility and do away with at-home care because of the gout. He was already on his way out. COVID just happened to be the catalyst. Seriously, the flu or pneumonia would've take him out just as easily. Now I get why the stats include people who died with COVID not just "because of COVID". Anything could take them out if given the right conditions.

I feel for my neighbors. But, as much as it sucks to have to deal with the quarantine, they're sorta happy that he died the way he did- in his sleep. No more gout. No more Alzheimer's.

Take care of yourselves, GAF.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Sorry for your loss. I also lost someone from it.My aunt died yesterday from it.

I'm gonna start going off on mother fuckers on this site who act like it's fake or not a big deal. Your fucking ignorant if you are. You aren't helping. You are contributing to apathy of a serious situation at worst or misinformation at best

Ten_Fold

Sorry for your loss OP, I know someone who had it as well, he did beat it, but it really messed up his breathing. This shit is real.

Entroyp

I’m sorry to hear that man. I recently was told an old friend from grade school passed away. She was so lively back then that it’s hard to imagine she’s gone.

Her husband contracted covid, spread it to the family, and ultimately defeated her only.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Sorry for your loss.
Whenever I hear such things I wonder if the words of these “Covid -deniers“ feel like a spit in your face.

Zog

Banned
Sorry for your loss. I also lost someone from it.My aunt died yesterday from it.

I'm gonna start going off on mother fuckers on this site who act like it's fake or not a big deal. Your fucking ignorant if you are. You aren't helping. You are contributing to apathy of a serious situation at worst or misinformation at best
Look, there have been reports that non related deaths are being added to the Covid death count. It's no wonder people don't trust the reports and really, are mandatory masks really doing anything other than raising the profits of those who make masks?

If someone doesnt personally know anyone who has/had it, how can you blame them? You personally know of someone who had it and now you go around judging people who haven’t lived the same experiences as yourself. You sound like a terrible person tbh.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
If someone doesnt personally know anyone who has/had it, how can you blame them? You personally know of someone who had it and now you go around judging people who haven’t lived the same experiences as yourself. You sound like a terrible person tbh.
Wait, so people need to know someone personally in order to empathize? Otherwise it is okay to even outright deny its existence, despite the reports of hundreds of thousands of deaths?
Now that sounds like being a terrible person.

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
My dad has lost a couple of close friends to it and knows someone that lost 3 people to it. I almost lost my father to it and scared to catch it again he may not make it this time.

Jtibh

Banned
I learned one thing since december. And that is to stay the fuck away from this topic.
Covid is 10 percent virus and 90 percent politics.
Everything that gets politicised is not to be trusted.

Sorry for your loss but again you can see the age and all the underlying health conditions.
My mother in law just got full blown dementia.
If anyone i will expect her to be hit hard with this virus. She is just so out of it she can get it any day yet she somehow managed to dodge the bullet.

But i swear as soon as she would be put into a home she would get it.
This also is something to think about.

Honestly if you have loved ones in a facitly get them out asap. Chances are they will survive for years to come.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
It seems like COVID doesn't kill people, but exacerbates other conditions and attacks the immune system. Its still weird to me people are JUST dying of COVID when almost all the time its COVID + cancer, pneumonia, immune disorder, or diabetes etc... Much like AIDS its that + a disease that kills.

Zog

Banned
I trust the people who come forward with their own experience and losses.
I trust the fact that coffin makers tell of how many more they have to produce these days.
I trust the survivers who tell thier stories.

None of those sources would have officially reported hundreds of thousands of deaths.

I trust that the whole world wouldn’t freak out like this if it was nothing.

The whole world isn't freaking out, there are plenty of people who are calling it fake.

Zog

Banned
It seems like COVID doesn't kill people, but exacerbates other conditions and attacks the immune system. Its still weird to me people are JUST dying of COVID when almost all the time its COVID + cancer, pneumonia, immune disorder, or diabetes etc... Much like AIDS its that + a disease that kills.

...and a motorcycle accident.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
None of those sources would have officially reported hundreds of thousands of deaths.

The whole world isn't freaking out, there are plenty of people who are calling it fake.
Do you also deny the existence of the holocaust?
Why dont you simply go to a hospital to ask the nurses if you are skeptical? Oh wait I am sorry, i forgot that the nurses are also fake.

Last edited:
Anyone calling it fake isn’t living in reality. People need to be aware of their risks and act accordingly. Most of us here shouldn’t be afraid. But we should take care not to infect vulnerable people. Best way to do that is not get it.

But statically speaking, if any of us do, we will be fine.

Zog

Banned
Why dont you simply go to a hospital to ask the nurses if you are skeptical? Oh wait I am sorry, i forgot that the nurses are also fake.

Yes, some of my clients are nurses and they were getting concerned about losing hours because things were so dead. See, they couldn't take regular appointments because of COVID but they also didn't have loads of COVID patients knocking down the doors either.

Because a political party doesn’t benefit from the Holocaust having occurred.

Do you always argue against strawmen?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yes, some of my clients are nurses and they were getting concerned about losing hours because things were so dead. See, they couldn't take regular appointments because of COVID but they also didn't have loads of COVID patients knocking down the doors either.
And in which institutes and stations did these nurses work at? My wife is a nurse, and as she works in a rehabilitation clinic she has no contact with Covid patients, but friends are working in hospitals which do have lots of patients. No every institute and station is affected the same.

Because a political party doesn’t benefit from the Holocaust having occurred.

Do you always argue against strawmen?
America ist the whole world. No political party in my country is using the situation as part of a governmental race and yet its bad.

Edit: I never said it wasnt a politicial thing aswell.
Whatever guys, I am not interested in your american politics.
Feel free to continue to downplay or deny covid.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Personal experience here - my grandmother died from it. She was one of the many lambs lead to slaughter in NY, thanks to our governor's decision to gather Covid patients in nursing homes. It was pretty distressing to not be able to have a proper funeral, or not even be able to hug my grieving mother. The news told me this was necessary. It was a scary, stressful time.

Then I saw (via the same media) that certain funerals were OK, as were certain types of gatherings. What a slap in the fucking face. You could freely congregate in some sort of public rain dance to chase away cops, but don't you dare go to church or try to feed your family by reopening your business...but who cares about those people, right?

Dr. Fauci, our very own modern day Mother Teresa, can't even fix his lips to say that large gatherings for the purpose of protest are a bad idea right now, yet a few weeks ago, I was a psychopath if I left my apartment. Something didn't add up, and still doesn't. People are being pushed into the deniers camp because of the bullshit and inconsistencies we're being fed. I believe the virus to be a very real thing, scientifically speaking, but I firmly believe it is not what we're being told. It's completely politicized at this point, and quite frankly, it's disgusting.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
My wife is a nurse.
No doomsday in her hospital. Barely anything.
Also average death age is 85 plus where i live.

Again all data is very inconsistent.

Also understand there are a lot of biotech companies ( my family relative works for one) who are in the race of developing a cure or a vaccine.
These companies spend millions on research. They want their investmet to return large profits.
So naturally govs and large med companies have to create an enviroment where they can justify to force the cure or vaccine on you.
And yes its not for free they will make billions in this.

In a normal world these good samaritans like gates and co would just say we want to help everyone we are in this together so here you go its for free.

But this is just business as usual.
I in no way say covid is fake. No i say its real. But also overblown. Its like fast food chains make you sick on purpose so big pharms benefit by selling you drugs to cure your cancer and asthma and other illness you get from eating shit. They dont care for your health. Its all about money.

Zog

Banned
And in which institutes and stations did these nurses work at? My wife is a nurse, and as she works in a rehabilitation clinic she has no contact with Covid patients, but friends are working in hospitals which do have lots of patients. No every institute and station is affected the same.

Well around here they all work all over the whole network. That is they go from clinic to hospital as needed. One is an ultrasound technician (she was less affected) and the other preps patients for surgery and helps during the surgery. During the shutdown they were doing no elective surgeries at all.

I trust the people who come forward with their own experience and losses.
I trust the fact that coffin makers tell of how many more they have to produce these days.
I trust the survivers who tell thier stories.
One party lies to us on an almost daily basis. It's not our fault that they've cried wolf so many times yet are constantly shown to be wrong. Sorry, don't really care what they say at this point.

No, men are not the same as women.
No, Trump isn't cause the economy to crash.
No, Trump isn't going to accidentally push the nuke button.
No, Trump isn't Putin's agent.
No, climate change isn't going to cause a mass extinction in 12 years.
No, Islam is not the religion of peace.
No, the Seattle riots are not peaceful.
No, nuclear energy won't kill the environment.
No, banning "hate" speech does not mean you still have free speech.
No, being morally right is not more important than being factually correct.
No, China is not a respectable nation.
No, defunding the police won't save lives.
Ad nauseam...

They've so far discredited themselves, it's no wonder we've lost all sense of trust in what they have to say. You accuse skeptics of having no empathy, but where's yours?

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
One party lies to us on an almost daily basis. It's not our fault that they've cried wolf so many times yet are constantly shown to be wrong. Sorry, don't really care what they say at this point.

No, China is not a respectable nation
Ad nauseam...

They've so far discredited themselves, it's no wonder we've lost all sense of trust in what they have to say. You accuse skeptics of having no empathy, but where's yours?
tenor.gif

Davey Cakes

Condolences. My grandmother passed away last year from cardiac arrest and respiratory issues. It was a very difficult time, so I understand your pain. If anything I'm at least glad she didn't have to suffer through an additional respiratory disease such as COVID-19.

One of my prior best friends lost his grandmother to it. The grandfather also had COVID but survived. Otherwise, I don't know anybody that's had it. My workplace remains at 36 cases, with the first 35 happening months ago.

I'm not entirely desensitized but I'm also kinda sorta at the point of not worrying about COVID in my own daily life. There just isn't much going on in the greater Boston area right now. The re-shutdowns have not yet occurred.

I want to agree that we should just "weather the storm" but uncertainty is the theme of the year. I do not blame anyone for being cautious as only some parts of the USA are in the clear.

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
Pulmonary edema is what you get from Covid19. If it even exists that is.
Well the urgent care said we both tested positive and my dad went through fucking hell the past month so i'm probably going to take their word on it. There was a couple close calls we had to take him to the hospital because his fever wouldn't go down.

Last edited:

Mistake

As someone who is at risk, I've done everything I can to be safe, but there is so much misinformation about covid that it's almost impossible to know what to do exactly. A hard balance needs to be struck between finding truth and not downplaying the seriousness of our situation, such as death counts, testing, etc. I don't want to alleviate responsibility from china for this mess either.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
As someone who is at risk, I've done everything I can to be safe, but there is so much misinformation about covid that it's almost impossible to know what to do exactly. A hard balance needs to be struck between finding truth and not downplaying the seriousness of our situation, such as death counts, testing, etc. I don't want to alleviate responsibility from china for this mess either.
We will never get the truth and the death counts are a lie. They have us all running around looking like old west bandits even though we have no clear information about the effectiveness of masks. It's a big clusterfuck.

Yet some people act outraged because we don't trust the reports coming out. To be clear, I am not saying that COVID is fake, I am saying that the death counts are overblown and the mandatory masks are ridiculous.

Last edited:

Mistake

We will never get the truth and the death counts are a lie. They have us all running around looking like old west bandits even though we have no clear information about the effectiveness of masks either. It's a big clusterfuck.
I think about masks the same way I do about global warming. Don't be an asshole and hope we're wrong. If it's true and we did nothing, things will be a hell of a lot worse

We will never get the truth and the death counts are a lie. They have us all running around looking like old west bandits even though we have no clear information about the effectiveness of masks either. It's a big clusterfuck.

Yet some people act outraged because we don't trust the reports coming out.
Eh. Use your mind and make your decisions. A mask is probably somewhat useful in certain situations. Of course that all depends on the type of mask and the conditions your find yourself in.

There’s some truth in thinking that we will never know all the answers and probably never know whether the answers we do get are purely the truth. But that shouldn’t trouble anyone too much. It’s pretty rare in life to get clarity on these things. Consider the Iraq War or 9/11 or JFK’s assassination. They may not be conspiracies, but it’s easy to having lingering doubts.

Just be clear headed and make the best choices you can. We will all be ok.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that you had to go through that.

Covid is a pretty serious ailment for the elderly and those that don't have strong immune systems. We should do all that is possible so that they don't get infected.

However even if we do there's a high chance that we can infect someone even after taking all the right precautions.

It's a pretty tough time that we are all going through. We need to be careful and take this situation seriously.

Mistake

You are willing to wear masks the rest of your life?
I already had to for the pollution in china, so I'm used to it. In fact, I'm fully stocked on p100's thanks to that lol. I live in the country, so I only need to wear them when shopping

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
it's all over the map

my neighbor had it, she's 72 or so, some fatigue and a light cough, shortness of breath

rebounded after a few days
There you go. Man flu is not bullshit, women tried to make fun of men, we are more vulnerable againts problems with...how to say in english, lungs and all the other shit which is...oh well it's respiratory system.

Joe T.

How? We watched the world flip out for 2.5 years over Russian collusion and rarely do I come across anyone that learned anything from that story. The mainstream media has successfully pushed such an enormous amount of lies and misleading stories over such a prolonged period of time that the world was/is ripe for the taking provided you have the money/power/influence to control what is/isn't being reported.

I sympathize with everyone that lost someone because of this virus whether it was directly or indirectly related. I know people that tested positive, but it hasn't changed my mind about the severity of this virus having been grossly overstated. In fact, that helped strengthen my point of view because you'd be hard-pressed to find someone more vulnerable than my dad and he came out the other side looking healthier than before.

This is obviously no Spanish Flu, thankfully, nor is there any evidence to suggest it would come remotely close if we let this run its course provided we did so with an increased sense of awareness, better hygiene and focus on improving our general health - the latter of which none of the corporate media giants want to talk about because junk food brings in a lot of advertising money as does big pharma. It wasn't a vaccine that ended the deadly Spanish flu nor should we be buying into the idea that one would bring an end to this virus as Bill Gates keeps suggesting. I'd much rather focus on the source and why they spent weeks covering it up, allowing it to become this life-altering mess.

Zog

Banned
I already had to for the pollution in china, so I'm used to it. In fact, I'm fully stocked on p100's thanks to that lol. I live in the country, so I only need to wear them when shopping
...and you expect the rest of us too wear masks the rest of our lives because you do?

Tesseract

Banned

No, China is not a respectable nation.
No, defunding the police won't save lives.
Ad nauseam...

tried to warn people along the way, nobody listens

just about everything said here is true

Azurro

Banned
We will never get the truth and the death counts are a lie. They have us all running around looking like old west bandits even though we have no clear information about the effectiveness of masks. It's a big clusterfuck.

Yet some people act outraged because we don't trust the reports coming out. To be clear, I am not saying that COVID is fake, I am saying that the death counts are overblown and the mandatory masks are ridiculous.

The thing is people think of the masks in very selfish fashion. "How does the mask protect me? Does it protect me completely? If not then it's bullshit.".

No, the point of the mask is to limit the amount of saliva that you spread around. And you do spread a fair amount on a daily basis. It might not protect you completely, but if you have COVID, it limits the amount of spread by a very good amount.

The problem is that somehow people took it as some political statement, which is ridiculous. In the country I live, the government shut down stuff, asked everyone to wear masks and people did it. No shenanigans and were able to reopen quite soon compared to other places. Now there's almost no masks and are managing the disease, balancing it against the health system resources.

Again, I have no idea why you guys turned it into some insane political statement.

Zog

Banned
Do I honestly have to? It's when you do something for others outside of your own benefit.

To what end? Death? You really are saying that we should be wearing masks for the rest of our lives because it's considerate.

Anyway, let's see how everyone feels about the masks in a month or two. We can look back here and see who has lost their patience, it will be fun.

Top Bottom