• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i wish someone would erase all the games that ive played from my memory

samoilaaa

I started gaming around 1998 i think , i was 8 years old , my 1st game was dangerous dave in the haunted mansion , a very shitty game by today's standards but for me it was amazing , i had alot of fun , in time i discovered games like Deus ex , Thief , Planescape tormen , baldur's gate , system shock , diablo , elder scrolls , my standards grew higher and higher

in present time after finishing games like witcher 3 , divinity original sin 2 , baldur's gate 3 , bloodborne , elden ring , red dead redemption 2 , bioshock i feel like there is nothing left to surprise me , i played all the big titles of the recent years and i just dont see how i can be impressed from this point forward when it comes to story , combat , level design , i tried VR gaming because its something really different but i didnt like it

im 33 years old and i wish that i could hit a reset button and forget about the games ive played so i can finish them again , how do you deal with this feeling ?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
animal house drinking GIF by TV4

cocaine GIF

season 2 fml GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead

That should do it OP.

Last edited:
Take a break from playing for a little while, in the meantime keep an eye on news & latest releases to see if anything sparks interest

RoadHazard

Gold Member
In a way I agree, there are some games that were just absolutely magical the first time through.

On the other hand, that would make my already silly backlog completely ridiculous. So I think I'd actually say no thanks after all.

IAmRei

Change your preferences for a while, go nuts with undiscovered gems maybe. There are lot of games that still surprising me. I recall discovering lot of hidden games in many platforms. Sometimes it made me feels that there are lot of games today is not inovated well against lot of old hidden games back then. Venturing to many games makes me extremely picky with AAA these days though.

samoilaaa

Play more indies. The AAA/AA space is full of derivative games. I've never played something like, say, Neon White, and that was only 2 years ago.
played alot of indies and AA , deaths bambit , weird west , evil west , talos principle , soma , amnesia series , disco elysium , trine series and more

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
played alot of indies and AA , deaths bambit , weird west , evil west , talos principle , soma , amnesia series , disco elysium , trine series and more

Yeah, good stuff in there. If you haven't played everything I'm about to spam then have a look, some favourites from the last 7 years. Bolded the truly unique ones and italicised the best of the bunch.

cuphead, steamworld dig/2, into the breach, dead cells, return of the obra dinn, subnautica, celeste, slay the spire, superliminal, baba is you, hades, there is no game, inscryption, the forgotten city, cult of the lamb, rogue legacy 2, tunic, norco, neon white, midnight fight express, pizza tower

Klosshufvud

If you feel like you're too stuck on the past, I would advice venturing out on unfamiliar territories. It could be new genres, new hobbies or just a simple white period of not trying to find that escapism thrill. I also believe we're past the peak in one sense but on the other, I've learnt to appreciate other genres that aren't as dependent on auteur theory.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Maybe try doing challenge runs if it's possible. It would be the closest thing to experiencing them in a new way.

For example:
- Elden Ring with only the starting class gear
- Bioshock without upgrades
- RDR2 without buying items

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is a blessing really. I’ve no need to rush out and spend a lot of money on games, because nobody is offering a new experience.

I still enjoy them, but nothing is that important to where I need it right away.

Also, revisiting old games can be entertaining. I’m sure there’s a lot that you might forget about a game that you haven’t played in years.

radewagon

Is there a way to get amnesia on purpose? Sounds like that would be the best option....

Although, there's a slight chance, based on rom-com rules, that it will result in you finding your true love.

Fredrik

Replay Elden Ring, another character build, it’s always fun. I return to my favorites all the time.

And play smaller indie titles:

Cocoon

Loop Hero

Loot River

Plus, go play Metroid Dread if you haven’t done that yet. Hollow Knight. Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Fantastic games.

If you wait a long time and play many other games in between, I find revisiting certain games feels brand new. Some games I haven’t played in ages (long RPGs especially) I can only remember some pieces of and maybe a few major story beats. When I go to replay them I have absolutely no memory of the majority of the game and that helps it feel new again.

samoilaaa

that sounds like alot of work , its nice that you have the ambition/will to do all those things , but why do you shouldnt regret gaming time as long as it made you felt good

how old are you now?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I remember reading a thread very much like this one on this forum some time back. That person wanted to play all of those old game again as if they were new.

I don't think my experience would be the same as it was if my memory were erased and all of the games I've enjoyed in the past were new to me. I wouldn't have the time to play them like I did then. I require more sleep now. Most of them would just go undiscovered as I don't have the time for them. I'd rather keep the memories and just look forward to new experiences.

sigmaZ

Hate to break it to you, but a lot of what you enjoy/enjoyed about the games is related to your emotional state and other factors. Simply erasing your memory will not be enough to get the same high you got from them originally.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hate to break it to you, but a lot of what you enjoy/enjoyed about the games is related to your emotional state and other factors. Simply erasing your memory will not be enough to get the same high you got from them originally.
I have to agree. I started in 92-93. Things like Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, and Lagoon fascinated me. The arcade felt like a 2nd home. Fast forward to playing Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time at Target and Toys R Us kiosk. I’d sit there for the entire time my mom was shopping and play those games. Playing NiGHTS kiosk at K-Mart. Seeing the Japanese Sonic Adventures at Babbages at the mall. Swapping discs in Final Fantasy on PS1. Spending countless hours in Goldeneye and Starfox 64.

While those were amazing times. I can admit that a lot of it is better as a memory. Some of my favorite games of all times are games made in the last decade or so. I think back to owning the PS2 at launch and getting SH2, MGS2, FFX, and GTA3 later on. I am not sure that playing those games as a newcomer now would feel the same. There’s so much exploitation and over explanation that it would make me feel like the last person on earth. At the time I absorbed all the excitement. I wasn’t watching someone else’s hour long documentary on the game. I enjoyed it as the player. So no, I wouldn’t want to erase my memories of all the games I played.

I started gaming around 1998 i think , i was 8 years old , my 1st game was dangerous dave in the haunted mansion , a very shitty game by today's standards but for me it was amazing , i had alot of fun , in time i discovered games like Deus ex , Thief , Planescape tormen , baldur's gate , system shock , diablo , elder scrolls , my standards grew higher and higher

in present time after finishing games like witcher 3 , divinity original sin 2 , baldur's gate 3 , bloodborne , elden ring , red dead redemption 2 , bioshock i feel like there is nothing left to surprise me , i played all the big titles of the recent years and i just dont see how i can be impressed from this point forward when it comes to story , combat , level design , i tried VR gaming because its something really different but i didnt like it

im 33 years old and i wish that i could hit a reset button and forget about the games ive played so i can finish them again , how do you deal with this feeling ?
Go to a hypnotist let him bring you in a trance... he will erase alll your memories what you got from all does games and voila you have a clean sheet and can enjoy gaming again🤗

Last edited:

Just replay them you would be surprised at what you don't know anymore.

OP, the experience of having played the games you played is now a part of you, that's merely something to embrace. They say YOLO, and that's very true. You won't experience first times twice, be it about video games, love, or anything else.

Now you seem to like story-driven games. There are plenty left to play which are awesome. For example, you mentioned The Witcher 3, but did you play The Witcher? There is no shortage of lists on the Internet.

And don't forget, video games are not the only medium out there. There are a lot of movies/series to watch and books/comics to read, that will scratch that itch.

bender

What time is it?
A buddy and I have been co-op through all the Souls games. We started with DS2 and it was almost like a new experience as I haven't touched the game since I beat it originally on PS3. Bloodborne was pretty familiar but I play that every few years. We are now going through Dark Souls and while I remember some of the beats of that game, I've forgotten a lot of the specifics. It's been a good time but it's almost like rediscovering these games. I think if you go back to games from ~10 years in the past that you haven't touched since then, the experiences will end up pretty fresh. I guess that depends on how many times you played them originally and I do recommend full playthroughs rather than just dipping your toes in the water.

One thing I'd recommend for samoilaaa samoilaaa is to get outside of your comfort zone in genres and look to fewer "big titles". Also, some game recommendations that have fairly recent release:

-Pathologic 2
-Return of the Obra Din/Papers Please
-Lisa trilogy
-Fear and Hunger duology
-Stasis/Stasis Bone Totem
-Ghost Trick
-Ace Attorney
-DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Re:Incarnation
-Botanicula/Happy Game

I'm sure others could recommend other genres.

Last edited:

Zelduh

You haven't even played any of the actual classic games from that era like Ocarina of Time and you already want to erase your memory? lol. I'd want to erase my memory too if all I played was the trash you listed

Zarak

Neo Member
I understand the sentiment but some games have become part of who I am. I would probably be a very different person without my gaming history.

amigastar

I remember playing GTA 1 in 1997.
Then GTA 3 in 2001
After that every GTA game left an impression on me.
Now i look forward to GTA VI which i hope will bring back the fun i've had with GTA 1-5.

Top Bottom