• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I worry for Sony's commitment to PSVR2.

Deerock71

Whatever anyone says, when one looks at how fast they dropped the Vita, I believe your concerns are valid.

tl;dr:
Think About It GIF by Identity

Tams

Sony could very well have all those titles and more lined up in the year ahead, so it's very easy for them to turn around and prove me wrong. I loved PSVR1, and it landed with some pretty great games. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood remains one of my favourite VR games ever. PSVR2? I'm just not seeing it. In my mind, they needed to show their commitment on launch day.
Side note: my personal favourite on that list is "Into The Radius". If you enjoy high immersion VR, I cannot recommend it enough. An absolute hidden gem just waiting to be discovered.

What a strange post. Owning a PS5 for PSVR2 is absolutely a limitation, because you don't need a PS5, or even a PC, for the Quest 2 and some of the games on my list. In fact, Quest 2 is actually cheaper than the PSVR2 despite it having a built-in computer. So, if Sony want to charge AUD$799.00 for the headset, and AUD$799.00 for the console that powers it, they better have some titles on day one that says "this right here is what you're AUD$1600 got you". As I said, apart from Horizon (speaking graphically) and RE: Village, they really didn't bother to. It's not up to gamers to justify Sony's expensive peripheral, it's up to Sony. And right now, they're just not doing that in my eyes. So, PSVR2 lands in the "wait and see" category. And sure, Green Hell is coming to PSVR2 - but not at launch, and there's no release date on it. So, we're still at "wait and see".
The concern I have is simple: it appears Sony it at "wait and see" to gauge demand before they commit to big titles. VR enthusiasts, like me, are at "wait and see" to gauge Sony's support before we commit to a purchase. And we've been here before with Sony - with the PS Vita.

Well, no shit it's a limitation. One people will have to and will take into consideration.

But everything has limitations and/caveats if you're on a budget.

Quest 2? Somewhat worse specs, the built-in SoC is decent at best, and to fully make use if it you need an expensive PC. And wirelessly, there are latency and image quality compromises. Meta are also eating some costs for that price point, which is not sustainable.

PSVR2? Wired, though you are guaranteed the best quality that way. Sony are subsidising it, so you're locked into the PS ecosystem. But it's competing quality wise with headsets twice its price or more.

And Sony are a gaming company (that actually develop and publish games - looking at you, Valve), so games are more likely to be developed for it.

Then add in that the PSVR2 is only really being aimed at people who have or want a PS5 anyway, and it makes perfect sense as a product.

HTC/Valve/Pimax? Expensive and require an expensive PC. Best quality.

Look, if you're happy with your Quest 2, good for you. Why dismiss the PSVR2 though, especially when you don't seem to be in the target audience?

Three

Be grateful if Dreams, Death Stranding, the next Astro-Bot or any of Sony's upcoming horror, racing and perhaps FPS (if they're even making some of those) games do end up featuring hybrid releases.
I'm pretty sure Dreams has PSVR support already it's a matter of porting to PSVR2, the next astrobot they have said they will continue to be experimental with hardware so all but confirmed. Their racing game GT7 has it and they are making Firewall Ultra, a FPS built specifically for VR. I'd say they are pretty committed to it.

reinking

Gold Member
Meagan Good Concern GIF by Harlem

...but you named off two big exclusives available at launch and forgot to mention Horizon Call of the Mountain. Three out of the gate and you are already worried?

Whatever anyone says, when one looks at how fast they dropped the Vita, I believe your concerns are valid.

It's not valid because Vita was a closed platform with no third parties supported from other platforms.

PSVR2 gets support from Quest/PC because VR is a growing segment

Three

Sony could very well have all those titles and more lined up in the year ahead, so it's very easy for them to turn around and prove me wrong. I loved PSVR1, and it landed with some pretty great games. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood remains one of my favourite VR games ever. PSVR2? I'm just not seeing it. In my mind, they needed to show their commitment on launch day.
Side note: my personal favourite on that list is "Into The Radius". If you enjoy high immersion VR, I cannot recommend it enough. An absolute hidden gem just waiting to be discovered.
You seem to be just dismissing titles though. For example you say they just have Horizon CotM and RE:Village ignoring GT7 is a launch day game too along with the 45 others. You say Until Dawn: Rush of blood was your favourite VR game ever yet seem oblivious that The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR is releasing exclusively on it in March. The launch lineup is great, seems better than some consoles.

As a PSVR1 and Quest 2/PCVR user for 5 years, and after seeing the launch lineup, I feel pretty underwhelmed, but not surprised: Almost everything is already available on PSVR1/Quest/PC. The standouts are obviously Sony's first party stuff like Horizon, GT7's VR update and Village, which if not for Sony's funding it wouldn't even exist.

What worries me is that, aside the aforementioned GT7 and Village, it seems that the hybrid game talk was just that. To be fair, Sony never officially has talked about that, it just was something some of us heard from PSVR Without Parole where some devs talked to them about Sony's PSVR2 plans. But porting existing games, and making their future games playable in VR would bolster the library and give us AAA VR games without much relative effort. It sounded plausible.

I seriously believed the reason GTAV was ported to PS5 was because it would have a VR mode ready for PSVR2's launch, same thing with The Last of Us Part 1 remake,

There's tons of stuff ready for that like Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Destiny 2... Not to mention upcoming games like Spider-Man 2. If that last one isn't a hybrid game I'll lose all faith.

We have seen this every time: Third parties are not going to bother if they don't see Sony putting in their A game, I wanna see Sega, Namco, Capcom, Platinum Games, Square-Enix really on board or else it's going to be indies all over again. Don't get me wrong I love indies, but I recognize most only play the big, popular stuff, and if that stuff isn't coming, the market is not going to expand.
Been saying this since they announced the full details: Sony is sending this thing out to die. DF was just saying how astonished they are that it's so close to release and it's almost nowhere to be seen, they haven't been sent one either. The only exclusive is horizon and that's supposed to be a intro to VR game.

Crayon

The launch lineup is great, seems better than some consoles.

Better than most consoles imo. I actually made a poll here a few weeks ago and that seems to be the most popular take.

Been saying this since they announced the full details: Sony is sending this thing out to die. DF was just saying how astonished they are that it's so close to release and it's almost nowhere to be seen, they haven't been sent one either. The only exclusive is horizon and that's supposed to be a intro to VR game.

You are not the target audience as you are clearly able to construct your own virtual reality.

Brigandier

With a headset specced like VR2 I just don't see it being dumped quickly by Sony, I wouldn't say VR1 was a major success but they still developed a successor that wipes the floor with it's predecessor which would have cost a lot of money R and D.

I hope it's very successful and lots of games are released with some really interesting ideas.

I wasn't quite sold on VR with the Oculus Rift, especially PSVR1 but I'm hoping this upgrade is gonna make me "wow"

I've still not played No man's Sky so what a great time to try it out, Moss 1 and 2 look cool I never played either and I have Resi 8 and GT7 ready to go and Horizon looks great, Can't wait for it to release.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
What kind of nonsense is this?

Everything coming to PC (more or less) will also come to PSVR2

So far nothing exclusive to PSVR2 is coming to PC

Unlike Handhelds, Sony doesn’t need to carry all the load since there is a decent third party market for VR

Zucc will absolutely be moneyhatting more exclusives for Quest 3. San Andreas, RE4, etc.

Not to mention a bunch of big PCVR games like Boneworks and HL Alyx are not coming.

ZehDon

Gold Member
...You lost respect with your comment about Green Hell. You could have have welcomed it as the very good news that it is (since, by you own words, Green Hell VR multiplayer would be incredible), but no, you HAD to try to spin it negatively, even at the cost of appear ridicule. It will officially come out, but eh! We don't know the release date!...
Read my comments: I'm talking about the launch. I'm talking about what can I do with PSVR2 on day one that justifies me actually buying it. Can I play Green Hell VR multiplayer on day one? No, I can't. No "spin" necessary.
You seem to be just dismissing titles though... GT7 is a launch day game too... The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR is releasing exclusively on it in March... The launch lineup is great, seems better than some consoles.
I'm not "dismissing" anything. I've counted Horizon and RE: Village as two positives - games look great, we're in for a treat. However, is it enough to buy a very expensive peripheral? Switchback looks fine - could be good - but it's certainly not enough to justify the outlay. This isn't a new PlayStation home console, despite the cost, where we're going to see hundreds of games a year. Games need to be made for VR, which is already a niche market. With PSVR1, Sony themselves led the charge with a number of really great titles from day one. A VR Horizon game and an upgrade for GT7 doesn't convince me Sony is going to do that again - especially since some of their previously-VR studios aren't working on VR titles right now. I'm concerned that, for all the money it costs, PSVR2 ends up with one or two of Sony's big budget games, and then a bunch of high-resolution Quest 2 ports. Hence my "wait and see".

Well, no shit it's a limitation. One people will have to and will take into consideration... Why dismiss the PSVR2 though, especially when you don't seem to be in the target audience?
I'm not dismissing PSVR2. Read my posts: like the thread you're posting in, I'm concerned about Sony's long-term support. This is their platform. With no backwards compatibility, they need to drive it anew. If all I get are Quest 2 ports, why would I buy a PSVR2? Sony's titles are the answer - their list of titles for PSVR1 makes it worth a purchase to me. At least at PSVR2's launch, they haven't convinced me yet. As I posted above, they'll probably prove me wrong. Cool. I'll gladly jump in and enjoy all their awesome exclusives when they start releasing them. But as of launch: I'm concerned. And that's a completely justified position to take.

... Sony doesn't need to justify squat...
Boy am I glad you don't work at Sony. Or any consumer electronics company, frankly.

Last edited:

Crayon

Read my comments: I'm talking about the launch. I'm talking about what can I do with PSVR2 on day one that justifies me actually buying it. Can I play Green Hell VR multiplayer on day one? No, I can't. No "spin" necessary.

I'm not "dismissing" anything. I've counted Horizon and RE: Village as two positives - games look great, we're in for a treat. However, is it enough to buy a very expensive peripheral? Switchback looks fine - could be good - but it's certainly not enough to justify the outlay. This isn't a new PlayStation home console, despite the cost, where we're going to see hundreds of games a year. Games need to be made for VR, which is already a niche market. With PSVR1, Sony themselves led the charge with a number of really great titles from day one. A VR Horizon game and an upgrade for GT7 doesn't convince me Sony is going to do that again - especially since some of their previously-VR studios aren't working on VR titles right now. I'm concerned that, for all the money it costs, PSVR2 ends up with one or two of Sony's big budget games, and then a bunch of high-resolution Quest 2 ports. Hence my "wait and see".

I'm not dismissing PSVR2. Read my posts: like the thread you're posting in, I'm concerned about Sony's long-term support. This is their platform. With no backwards compatibility, they need to drive it anew. If all I get are Quest 2 ports, why would I buy a PSVR2? Sony's titles are the answer - their list of titles for PSVR1 makes it worth a purchase to me. At least at PSVR2's launch, they haven't convinced me yet. As I posted above, they'll probably prove me wrong. Cool. I'll gladly jump in and enjoy all their awesome exclusives when they start releasing them. But as of launch: I'm concerned. And that's a completely justified position to take.

Boy am I glad you don't work at Sony. Or any consumer electronics company, frankly.

You don't have to buy it at launch and sony doesn't have to meet the lifetime sales target at launch. And thus, there is no need for concern. As of now, impressions are glowing and the launch is incredibly strong by any standard. That's about as much as you can ask for, especially if you can just hang back and see what it looks like in a year. Like most people should do unless they are really excited about it .

ZehDon

Gold Member
You don't have to buy it at launch... And thus, there is no need for concern...
You're posting in a thread titled "I worry for Sonys commitment to PSVR2". If I can't express my likeminded concern in this thread, where should I express it? Check my history: I don't post in a lot of PSVR2 threads for this reason: people are excited, I'm not convinced, so I'll hang back and let them enjoy themselves.

DinoD

Isn't the idea that PSVR2 will be treated as an accessory rather than platform? I think I heard that Sony made it easy for developers to enable their regular PS5 games to work with PSVR2?

Corndog

Banned
As a PSVR1 and Quest 2/PCVR user for 5 years, and after seeing the launch lineup, I feel pretty underwhelmed, but not surprised: Almost everything is already available on PSVR1/Quest/PC. The standouts are obviously Sony's first party stuff like Horizon, GT7's VR update and Village, which if not for Sony's funding it wouldn't even exist.

What worries me is that, aside the aforementioned GT7 and Village, it seems that the hybrid game talk was just that. To be fair, Sony never officially has talked about that, it just was something some of us heard from PSVR Without Parole where some devs talked to them about Sony's PSVR2 plans. But porting existing games, and making their future games playable in VR would bolster the library and give us AAA VR games without much relative effort. It sounded plausible.

I seriously believed the reason GTAV was ported to PS5 was because it would have a VR mode ready for PSVR2's launch, same thing with The Last of Us Part 1 remake,

There's tons of stuff ready for that like Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Destiny 2... Not to mention upcoming games like Spider-Man 2. If that last one isn't a hybrid game I'll lose all faith.

We have seen this every time: Third parties are not going to bother if they don't see Sony putting in their A game, I wanna see Sega, Namco, Capcom, Platinum Games, Square-Enix really on board or else it's going to be indies all over again. Don't get me wrong I love indies, but I recognize most only play the big, popular stuff, and if that stuff isn't coming, the market is not going to expand.
A little too early to worry about support. I think the biggest problem is price. But we will see. Maybe people will buy it despite the high price.

Corndog

Banned
What kind of nonsense is this?

Everything coming to PC (more or less) will also come to PSVR2

So far nothing exclusive to PSVR2 is coming to PC

Unlike Handhelds, Sony doesn’t need to carry all the load since there is a decent third party market for VR
Why not make it pc compatible though? It would give them a larger market to sale to.

Three

I'm not "dismissing" anything. I've counted Horizon and RE: Village as two positives - games look great, we're in for a treat. However, is it enough to buy a very expensive peripheral? Switchback looks fine - could be good - but it's certainly not enough to justify the outlay....
Apart from Horizon and RE: Village, Sony hasn't really seemed to have bothered
If all I get are Quest 2 ports, why would I buy a PSVR2? Sony's titles are the answer -
I'm concerned. And that's a completely justified position to take.

That's my point if you're going by PSVR2 only games you counted those two big exclusive VR games but didn't GT7. If you personally don't consider these games worth it, including an exclusive spiritual successor to one of your favourite VR games ever (by the same creators) I have to wonder what would have convinced you. To me it seems you're having trouble justifying the price of entry in terms of your own personal interest (as a Quest owner at that) but to turn that into concern of the viability of the product or lack of commitment is misplaced.

Last edited:

ABnormal

Why not make it pc compatible though? It would give them a larger market to sale to.
Sony doesn't gain anything from the games on PC and the headset is not a significant source of income itself (if any). It would not make sense from a business point of view. Unless Sony decides to bring the few first party VR exclusives on PC, but it would still be a small piece of cake, probably less important than attracting PC players on buying PS% and PSVR 2, if they consider it a killer application (there are already some who did it so maybe it's part of the plan).

Crayon

You're posting in a thread titled "I worry for Sonys commitment to PSVR2". If I can't express my likeminded concern in this thread, where should I express it? Check my history: I don't post in a lot of PSVR2 threads for this reason: people are excited, I'm not convinced, so I'll hang back and let them enjoy themselves.

You can absolutely express your concern. You are doing it now. I've no problem with that. You are going to get replies, though.

Importantly, this is unassailable:

people are excited, I'm not convinced, so I'll hang back and let them enjoy themselves.

In a good way. You have a lot of ways to expand on that and they are going to lead to different kinds of replies.

drezz

The guy in charge of Bonlabs said on twitter in november(I think it was then, or earlier) its 90% chance of coming to PSVR2.
There is also a mod inside LABS that let you play BoneWORKS; and it is growing all the time to more and more places of WORKS, so if LABS gets on PSVR2 WORKS would be so by "default" with mods.

Only way its not coming, would be if Sony trefuses the "mods" to work on their system, playing as Master Chief driving gokarts with Mario(MP mod) on Sony's VR system would be fun sight too behold.
imo

Might not be launch day, but I'd guess 1 year anniversary of Bonelabs would either be the release for PSVR2 or official announcment for it coming.

drezz

Sony doesn't gain anything from the games on PC and the headset is not a significant source of income itself (if any). It would not make sense from a business point of view. Unless Sony decides to bring the few first party VR exclusives on PC, but it would still be a small piece of cake, probably less important than attracting PC players on buying PS% and PSVR 2, if they consider it a killer application (there are already some who did it so maybe it's part of the plan).
At the very least, they'd get a pump&bump with their numbers to the public and devs.
Higher numbers are always good.

Crayon

Official pc support would make things so messy. PC gamers buying an officially supported item at that price are going to expect the same level of tech support and software support which would each be far more difficult than what they are on console. All for a vastly smaller reward as they would get nothing from third party game sales and owe 30% to steam for their first party ones.

What we can hope is sony finds some financial way to justify leaving the backdoor open for an easy hack.

The guy in charge of Bonlabs said on twitter in november(I think it was then, or earlier) its 90% chance of coming to PSVR2.
There is also a mod inside LABS that let you play BoneWORKS; and it is growing all the time to more and more places of WORKS, so if LABS gets on PSVR2 WORKS would be so by "default" with mods.

Only way its not coming, would be if Sony trefuses the "mods" to work on their system, playing as Master Chief driving gokarts with Mario(MP mod) on Sony's VR system would be fun sight too behold.
imo

Might not be launch day, but I'd guess 1 year anniversary of Bonelabs would either be the release for PSVR2 or official announcment for it coming.

The really big 3 things are Alyx, Bonelab, and VRChat. That is super great to hear that bonelab is probably coming. I think too much sketchy shit goes on in vr chat for sony to want it. They would probably much rather have their own version of that or just the more tame alternatives like rec room.

ZehDon

Gold Member
That's my point if you're going by PSVR2 only games you counted those two big exclusive VR games but didn't GT7. If you personally don't consider these games worth it, including an exclusive spiritual successor to one of your favourite VR games ever (by the same creators) I have to wonder what would have convinced you. To me it seems you're having trouble justifying the price of entry in terms of your own personal interest (as a Quest owner at that) but to turn that into concern of the viability of the product or lack of commitment is misplaced.
Sony could have done two things: a killer app, or their greatest hits. Give us a massive VR killer app exclusive to PSVR2 that rivals Half-Life: Alyx. Not an easy task, agreed, but that kind of commitment tells me they're all in. They've got some of the best studios in the world - and it would seem none of them are making a headlining PSVR title. Alternatively, Sony could've rolled out a round of what works: Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Farpoint, Blood & Truth - PSVR1 has no shortage of high-quality titles that deserve a sequel or a follow-up. They built these VR IPs, they should use them, because it demonstrates a willingness to invest in VR IPs, instead of positioning VR as a spin-off factory.

And you may very well be right, but the concern remains: Sony are launching a AUD$799 peripheral, and I haven't seen the support I need to to make me buy it. With the launch line up, I'm now concerned it'll be relegated to a Quest 2 porting machine. In a year or so, Sony may have a stacked line-up of high-quality VR titles, like the ones I mentioned, and you can read my ramblings here and laugh. Or, I may be posting a dusty frowny face on a PSVR2. I guess we'll find out.

Sony could have done two things: a killer app, or their greatest hits. Give us a massive VR killer app exclusive to PSVR2 that rivals Half-Life: Alyx. Not an easy task, agreed, but that kind of commitment tells me they're all in.

They already have H:CoTM, RE8, and GT7 that are on the same level

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They already have H:CoTM, RE8, and GT7 that are on the same level

I'm not sure I'm a huge half life fan but I bet a lot of VR die hards would fight you tooth and nail on that one.
I think what they are meaning is a from the ground up VR game (sorry H:COTM seems more like an add on, guess we will see.......) built just for VR. RE8 and GT7 don't count technically even if they will be great.

Three

I'm not sure I'm a huge half life fan but I bet a lot of VR die hards would fight you tooth and nail on that one.
I think what they are meaning is a from the ground up VR game (sorry H:COTM seems more like an add on, guess we will see.......) built just for VR. RE8 and GT7 don't count technically even if they will be great.
H:CoTM is a ground up VR game set in the universe of an established franchise exactly like HL:Alyx is, not an 'add-on'. Switchback VR is also a VR only game.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Like getting a hot girlfriend and then she doesn't want to put out.

Or maybe not, but still it's pretty damn disappointing if it goes to waste.

yurinka

PSVR2 has the best launch lineup that any other VR headset ever had, and even better than some modern consoles.

VR is still on early stages, a niche for early adopters where are still iterating the technology and game design. It's a starting market that still isn't ready for the mainstream, which means it doesn't make sense to see here most big 3rd parties supporting it and Sony moving most of their big games to VR. This is purely nonsensical and unrealistic.

In PSVR2 we'll see some AAA or AAAish more than in any other previous headset, as we already seen on its launch lineup, but most titles will continue being small VR games like the ones we know.

PSVR2 may sell what? 5-10M units maybe? This is not enough for publishers to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a AAA VR game. But in some cases, if like Capcom they experiment and integrate it on their workflow and engines we may see some VR adaptations of flat AAA games who could fit well without much effort.

I think it will do well. Some expert says it's going to sell 1.6 million units in 2023 which isn't bad considering the install base. PSVR sold 1.9 million units in 2017 but had a much higher install base.
Some leaker said Sony planned to manufacture/ship 3M during the first year, while PSVR1 sold "more than 5M" in all its lifetime.

PSVR2 will release with a better lineup and at a cheaper price than the full PSVR1 did cost at launch (adjusting inflation).

In theory this year Sony plans to get rid of the PS5 chips shortages and skyrocket PS5 HW shipping to the point of passing PS4 in launch aligned sales during this year.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Sony comes off as pretty committed to me, but it will be a niche product so it should be expected you won’t be getting huge amounts of support even from Sony.

Didn’t PSVR sell like 5M to a base of 114M(?) PS4 users, that’s only about 4%. Makes little sense to bring out the big guns only to sell that stuff to 4% of players.

ZehDon

Gold Member
You’ve played any of those games I’ve mentioned on PSVR2?

Do tell
I played RE: Village in VR on my PC via some very good mods. It was good, but a step down from RE7 due to it's more action-orientated nature.
GT7 will be like every other racing game. There's no X-factor here. High quality, no question - GT7 is a damn fine game, but not even close to what Half-Life: Alyx offers up. And I say this as a VR racing fan.
Horizon: Call of the Mountain looks good, but I'm not seeing a Half-Life killer here. What stand-out features, what elements of its narrative or story, what gameplay demonstration puts a Horizon spin-off at Half-Life's level for you?

Last edited:
I played RE: Village in VR on my PC via some very good mods. It was good, but a step down from RE7 due to it's more action-orientated nature.
GT7 will be like every other racing game. There's no X-factor here. High quality, no question - GT7 is a damn fine game, but not even close to what Half-Life: Alyx offers up. And I say this as a VR racing fan.
Horizon: Call of the Mountain looks good, but I'm not seeing a Half-Life killer here. What stand-out features, what elements of its narrative or story, what gameplay demonstration puts a Horizon spin-off at Half-Life's level for you?

So you haven’t, got it

There's a few things that I believe make the OP's fears unwarranted, or at least exaggerated.

• If you're not concerned with VR as a whole being a successful platform going forward, then there's no reason to be worried about PSVR2 specifically.

• So long as Sony is properly prioritizing certain features and content for it, then they're giving it the best possible chance to succeed. While it's possible they may have whiffed by not making it completely wireless. They seem to be prioritizing everything else just fine. The price should ensure it doesn't become an anchor to the company, and GT7 releasing for it shows that they are putting the game on there that counts more than any two other games combined.

• Sony wants to be one of the leaders in this market. In order to do that, you need to get in early and you need to maintain a presence in said market. Sometimes that means releasing a subsequent product or version despite there not being absolutely gargantuan leaps in features or performance. Sometimes Apple's latest iPhone has all sorts of new stuff. Other times it's difficult to see many advancements at all from the previous one. What's important is that they continue to work on it while releasing what they can at the time.

I have my doubts as to how successful VR as a platform ultimately ends up being, but to be concerned ONLY about PSVR2 isn't really warranted.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People whine about lack of back compatibility. Developers do proper upgrades of PSVR titles, most of times for free. People whine about PSVR 2 having the same titles of PSVR 1.

People whine about PSVR 2 being into the closed console environment and being not open to the vast catalogue of (mostly mediocre) titles on PC. Developers do PSVR 2 versions of PC titles, often with significant improvements. People whine that many PSVR 2 titles are already avaliable on PC.

People whine that there's no GT7 VR mode, and that they would order it if announched. GT7 VR mode is announced, and now they will order it when Alyx will be announced (which they have never played, but people say it's the best VR game, so they repeat it like retards). After Alyx will be announched, I'm curious to see what will be the next whining.

VR is a niche market which is not able to be significantly profitable (or even at a loss), and yet there are several developers who are trying to be the pioneers building the market, instead of some who are simply able to buy the work done by others. To call "underwelming" a launch which has more titles that many console launches, big and small, is very disrespectful towards all those are betting much, and some everything, on the titles coming out. That's acting like a spoiled brat.
We have never known in advance which titles would come out during a generation of a console. It's no different here. But at least it's clear that there have been lots of study, refinements and investments on PSVR 2 hardware, to make possible to have a "future proof" VR on console that matches high end PC VR, and for a MUCH lower price. Do you ever realize how impressive this is compared to what usually is needed to have the same quality elsewhere? People don't realize that the reason foveated rendering only works on PSVR 2 at the moment is because it requires a pipeline of input and rendering with VERY strict time windows (to be able to use foveated rendering with a frame rate of 120 fps, AT LEAST 240 eye samples per second are needed, in order to send the position of the eye ALWAYS before the GPU starts to render the frame - the latency is very small), and PS5 was engineered to be able to do so with PSVR 2 from the start. Who else did something like that? Nobody. It seems like a serious commitment, to me. Let's hope Jimbo doesn't ruin everything (the project was not his own).

I'm also looking forward to know if the story of "hybrid games" will turn out to be true and to be applied to at least the majority of the games. To me, that would make the difference from a huge success to a moderate success. One day, VR will have its own big games developed around it, but for now, VR to shine the most needs hybrid games like RE8, GT7 or others, capable to offer unparalleled immersion and interaction in high quality games. So I'm also worried in waiting.
But please, enough with this "underwelming" story: from hardware to software, nobody else in the market showed as much commitment and real investment than Sony, on high end VR. What's the point to have a 5000 dollars headset, if there's no proper software to take advantage from it? Or to need thousands of dollars of GPU to be able to run a game with high detail on it? Making the number of geared gamers so small that basically no single developer would spoend time and money to develop something at that level?
What's the point of hoping that VR games will evolve with standalone VR units, if they push the market towards casual gaming and low end engines?

PSVR 2 is not a safe bet: it's a serious attempt for high end VR gaming to rise again, after the diffusion of standalone Quest 2 pushed the market towards low specs casual motion gaming (the VR Wii counterpart, in short).

So, is it possible to stop the useless whining and just wait and see? If money is a problem, just don't buy it and wait. To me, there are already several games in the first year that could last years for me, and I suspect that Behemoth will be my kind of game, after seeing the work of Skydance on The Saint and Sinners series. Even if the dream of big hybrid games will not come to reality, I'm more than sure that there will be plenty of wonder. So, why the fuck should we look to what could not be, instead to what we already know will be? Could we just enjoy the wonders we have, instead of whining on what we don't even know we will not have?
Well said.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Please read before writing. All the Valve, Vario, Pimax headsets out till now have always needed a (beefy) PC to work, and I have never heard people talk about that like a "limitation". Limitation for what? Quest 2 is aimed to small games, and THAT is a limitation. If you want to play Alyx, you have to use a PC. Is it not a limitation when it's a PC?
And regarding the costs, the same could be said for all the high end headsets out there, with the exception that PSVR 2 price is MUCH more affordable than their. What do you think you know about the cost of the tech inside it? The eye tracker alone is sold on Amazon for 250 dollars. Please, like that time with foveated rendering, you are again trying to start some negative from nothing, basing that on something that it's "not yet there". So, since we don't know if it will arrive, let's whine like it will not arrive for sure. What a waste of human life time.
VR enthusiast are, like you, waiting and see? Are you seriously trying to appear like you are part of some elite of "people who know better"? Seriously? If you bothered to watch all the hands on from five months ago till now, you would have seen that "VR enthusiasts" are for the most really excited for PSVR 2, and already preordered one. Don't try to make your argument stronger faking some imaginary "enthusiasts support". It makes it look weak. You lost respect with your comment about Green Hell. You could have have welcomed it as the very good news that it is (since, by you own words, Green Hell VR multiplayer would be incredible), but no, you HAD to try to spin it negatively, even at the cost of appear ridicule. It will officially come out, but eh! We don't know the release date! It could release ten years from now! Really, if you are one of those folks who NEED to be negative, go ahead and enjoy. i was willing to discuss while I thought you were interested to discuss.
It would be a good thing to wait and see as you wrote. But it seems that it's more "wait and whine uselessly".
Also because the titles you can play on the overall inferior specs of the Quest 2 without a PC (which would set you back more than a $399 PS5 Digital Edition) are not the big AAA tent pole games he is saying PSVR2 is severely lacking… despite the console coming with FULL GT7 and a completely standalone Horizon game at launch and RE VIII, etc…

First it was the cable (not enough people but), then it was eye tracking not being there and if it was there it was not really meaningful (again disproven), then it was only marginal support and no full games and they demoed more of Horizon that puts it to bed, then it was about price and forgetting on PSVR1 you needed to buy move controllers and the external camera to play and it prevented HDR playback in the first model, then it was about only VR mode but not the full game in GT7 and Sony clarified it is the full game experience, etc…

At some point if you do not care about something you stop, if you continue to try to spread a negative attitude on it you do care… why does one do that?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
H:CoTM is a ground up VR game set in the universe of an established franchise exactly like HL:Alyx is, not an 'add-on'. Switchback VR is also a VR only game.

Considering they said it was on track for 7 hours, that's 50% shorter than half life and just too short for me to consider it a full game. Half life is already pushing it at 12 hrs vs most aaa non vr adventure games.

The point the poster was making is they want to see an original full game, let's say uncharted and 20 hrs - that's the kind of commitment they were looking for from Sony. But it's not going to happen just yet......

Shubh_C63

So just don't buy a console that they might drop like the vita.

Just work out how to identify that and you're golden.
my point was people keep taking Vita as an example yet it was an outlier because Sony has always supported their consoles.
And Vita died because of mobile.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
my point was people keep taking Vita as an example yet it was an outlier because Sony has always supported their consoles.
And Vita died because of mobile.

I'd argue the point is that they won't drop the console as long as it's doing good business. If it's not they'll drop it, like they did the Vita, no matter how well supported their previous consoles are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom