• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Playstation or Xbox cannot contact an PSN/XBL activation server or equivalent, they will be bricks in the future (highly unlikely)

Well, to be fair... We don't take it so serious as to get horny from the imagined "sexual tension" you obviously do.

If browsing gaming forums gives you erections, maybe you should speak to a doctor.
Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

You may now go back to arguing about plastic boxes.

TonyK

How do you lost your digital games? The Cbomb or whatever it's called go to Sony's servers and delete your account?

See, you sound hurt or something....

I have a PS4 since 2013, still works and I’m not worried.
Were you being a crusade when Xbox360 has red ring of death? I have 2 ones with that issue... I never got worried about it.

Technology is not 100% durable and sometimes products has issues. That’s my point!
Hurt? No. A bit perplexed as to your defense and deflection? Maybe.

You have a PS4 since 2013 that's lifespan is determined by a battery inside it. Once it goes, you'll own a brick.

Your whataboutism with the 360 isn't comparable. MS didn't make them fail on purpose, and spent billions giving returns no questions asked. Apples and Oranges.

"Technology is not 100% durable and sometimes has issues". Yes, what an awesome observation that is. This has nothing to do with that, and isn't applicable. Sony has been aware that their consoles lifespan is dictated by a battery within their console for almost a decade now. That's not a technological issue. It's an anti consumer one.

Skifi28

Gold Member
Sony has been aware that their consoles lifespan is dictated by a battery within their console for almost a decade now. That's not a technological issue. It's an anti consumer one.
The battery dying is not an issue, but rather the combination of a dead battery while not being able to go online. The actual problem is the "not being able to go online" part with your PS4/PS5 which is a hypothetical scenario that may or may not occur 10 to 20 years from now. Until then you can just change your battery and resume your playing as before, much like any part of your console breaking. I think it's a little soon to worry about something that is so far off, even with the PS3 you will still be able to go online despite the store closing down.

It's like me worrying what'll happen if steam suddenly closes down. It could happen tomorrow, or 10 years from now or never. I just think it's pointless to worry about something that may not affect you for the next few decades. For all we know they could also patch the clock check during end of life support for devices, or the PS6/7/8 plays all previous PS4 and upwards games so it's another non-issue. People just like to create worse-case scenarios and run with them.

Last edited:

You have a PS4 since 2013 that's lifespan is determined by a battery inside it. Once it goes, you'll own a brick.

Your whataboutism with the 360 isn't comparable. MS didn't make them fail on purpose, and spent billions giving returns no questions asked. Apples and Oranges.

"Technology is not 100% durable and sometimes has issues". Yes, what an awesome observation that is. This has nothing to do with that, and isn't applicable. Sony has been aware that their consoles lifespan is dictated by a battery within their console for almost a decade now. That's not a technological issue. It's an anti consumer one.

Replacing battery is also a cheap solution. Batteries can be faulty too.

The battery dying is not an issue, but rather the combination of a dead battery while not being able to go online. The actual problem is the "not being able to go online" part with your PS4/PS5 which is a hypothetical scenario that may or may not occur 10 to 20 years from now. Until then you can just change your battery and resume your playing as before, much like any part of your console breaking.

People are stupid so much they don't know that you can replace the battery. :/ It's a damn issue.

I think it's a little soon to worry about something that is so far off, even with the PS3 you will still be able to go online despite the store closing down.

Sony can close the stores. Even the servers aren't eternal.

It's in the agreement we all agreed to Sony has the right to do this cause, all of us signed a contract to them that saids they have the right to licences these games to you and can pull them away at any time or closing the store. People need to reat TOS!!!

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
The battery dying is not an issue, but rather the combination of a dead battery while not being able to go online. The actual problem is the "not being able to go online" part with your PS4/PS5 which is a hypothetical scenario that may or may not occur 10 to 20 years from now. Until then you can just change your battery and resume your playing as before, much like any part of your console breaking. I think it's a little soon to worry about something that is so far off, even with the PS3 you will still be able to go online despite the store closing down.

It's like me worrying what'll happen if steam suddenly closes down. It could happen tomorrow, or 10 years from now or never. I just think it's pointless to worry about something that may not affect you for the next few decades. For all we know they could also patch the clock check during end of life support for devices, or the PS5/6/7 plays all previous PS4 and upwards games so it's another nonissue. People just like to create a worse-case scenario and run with it.
I agree with the sentiment but I don’t trust Sony to leave any services available if they don’t see a benefit to their bottom line.

Until they issue an update removing the online check I’ll assume my systems have a battery timed life span.

Yet another example of Sony's misleading advertising.

Sony led the charge early last gen against the Xbox One for requiring an online connection to play games. All while also having the only console that ultimately will require an online connection to play.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Dude, Xbone, XSX/S is a brick until you connect it online for the first time. You need an online connect to get Xbox One disc games to work on XSeries

PS5 works without online at first startup. Later is a choice you want to be online or not

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned

Lol you’re the one deflecting and trying to imply Sony is destroying consoles on purpose! While going on how MS had put so much effort on their consoles...

go with your holy crusade! All that you write about fanboys applies to you too.

Don’t even bother replying, I see you are trying to push a fantasy narrative that MS are the good guys.

YCoCg

The PS4 will be the real test of this, here's hoping Sony have it in their heart to push a firmware to make this check not a requirement so the systems can continue to be of use well past the PSN servers closer for the platform. If they do that then this indeed will be a non-issue.

Three

It’s not hardware but software, Sony should patch it
Nobody would patch this. It's a hardware design that literally is a non issue. It's a way of identifying the console and license. Wait until these people find out that a lot of PCs store their Windows 10 licence on ACPI tables and gasp! it would get wiped too if the "CMOS" battery dies.

Last edited:
People saying "just replace the battery" have no clue what the actual problem is 🤦‍♂️.

LOL.

Batteries are also faulty. And you can replace one and continue with playing. Battery surely can live 20 years, but problem are the servers which can be shut down and you can't access games anymore ( outside already bought games ) even with the right battery.

Last edited:

FStubbs

It's a ridiculous flaw in the PS4 that can be fixed with a simple "stability" update. The fact it still exists in the PS5 hints that it might be by design. Anybody defending this is a lunatic.
LOL.

Batteries are also faulty. And you can replace one and continue with playing. Battery surely can live 20 years, but problem are the servers which can be shut down and you can't access games anymore ( outside already bought games ) even with the right battery.
No, you won't be able to play games on the system period, whether they're on disk or digital; the system is essentially bricked.

Last edited:
Not once the servers are down.

Of course when a servers are down you can't play it, LOL. Said in post before :

It's in the agreement we all agreed to Sony has the right to do this cause, all of us signed a contract to them that saids they have the right to licences these games to you and can pull them away at any time or closing the store. People need to reat TOS!!!

Replacing the battery won’t do anything if the psn servers are gone.

This is still like a over decade down the road even if they laugh and don’t update this. Most people will have moved on by the time they shut off ps5 online services.
And why would psn servers be gone??? Where was the announcement that psn was going away? When Sony makes that announcement, then that's when people should be worried. Until then, this whole bios battery issue is really a non issue. Change the battery out (if it ever dies that is) turn your console on log back into psn and your fine. Every single computer on the planet that has a motherboard in it uses a bios/cmos battery, and if they die, the computer wont run either. Too many people act like Sony came up with some kinda evil bad scheme to screw people out of their games years from now or something when all along this is standard practice. PSN is not going anywhere, therefore PS3, PS4, and PS5 will be fine. Enough with the whining about the battery already.

Mr Moose

It's a ridiculous flaw in the PS4 that can be fixed with a simple "stability" update. The fact it still exists in the PS5 hints that it might be by design. Anybody defending this is a lunatic.

No, you won't be able to play games on the system period, whether they're on disk or digital; the system is essentially bricked.
Untick connect to the internet and it won't try to connect to any servers, so if/when the servers go down, you can still play your games in the post apocalyptic world.

At least far into the future if this happens to mine, I can just open it up, replace battery, close it up, done. No soldering involved. That's good enough to me.
Uh...no...you can't. The problem isn't that the battery stops working, it's that when it stops working the internal clock is wiped whenever power is cut and the only way to resynchronize it is to either hack your console or connect to PSN. Once connectivity for the PS4/PS5 is shut down replacing the battery will achieve nothing, the internal clock still won't be synced so games, both digital and disc, still won't work.

Of course when a servers are down you can't play it, LOL. Said in post before :

Lmao imagine being okay with all your licenses being pulled because a battery runs out in your console used to identify the time you got a trophy XD. You people will defend anything with a Playstation logo on it.

And why would psn servers be gone??? Where was the announcement that psn was going away? When Sony makes that announcement, then that's when people should be worried. Until then, this whole bios battery issue is really a non issue. Change the battery out (if it ever dies that is) turn your console on log back into psn and your fine. Every single computer on the planet that has a motherboard in it uses a bios/cmos battery, and if they die, the computer wont run either. Too many people act like Sony came up with some kinda evil bad scheme to screw people out of their games years from now or something when all along this is standard practice. PSN is not going anywhere, therefore PS3, PS4, and PS5 will be fine. Enough with the whining about the battery already.

Read the TOS. They can

Lmao imagine being okay with all your licenses being pulled because a battery runs out in your console used to identify the time you got a trophy XD. You people will defend anything with a Playstation logo on it.

Nothing is eternal, battery, servers, console. What is your problem, hm? It has nothing to do with PS logo on it. LOL Bunch of electronic devices has CR battery, but for some reason, PS is the problem only for you. You're so transparent.

Nothing is eternal, battery, servers, console. What is your problem, hm? It has nothing to do with PS logo on it. LOL Bunch of electronic devices has CR battery, but for some reason, PS is the problem only for you. You're so transparent.
Please tell me what's so transparent. Also "nothing is eternal" isn't a response XD.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Nice try, tough guy, but you've failed reading comprehension.
Tough guy? Lol.
If you don't need to connect to the internet with that unticked, what would be the issue? It seems like a simple fix for it, it won't try to connect to servers because you're telling it to stay offline.
It's the same when PSN goes down and there's the licence issues when it is expecting to connect, you just untick and you're good to go.

FStubbs

Tough guy? Lol.
If you don't need to connect to the internet with that unticked, what would be the issue? It seems like a simple fix for it, it won't try to connect to servers because you're telling it to stay offline.
It's the same when PSN goes down and there's the licence issues when it is expecting to connect, you just untick and you're good to go.
Because if the battery dies, and you replace the battery, the system must connect to PSN before it lets you play games - disk or digital. The issue is if Sony has shut down PSN for the PS4 (like they are doing for the PS3 and their handhelds), you're screwed. Your trick won't work.

YCoCg

Looks like you have a problem with CR battery in PS, but also CR battery exist in bunch of other electronic devices, but for some reason you see this a problem in PS platform in next 15 years or so. :/
Because other devices won't brick after the battery is replaced until they hear back from the server. Just look at the Dreamcast, that little fucker still chugs along fine even if you replace the battery.

Looks like you have a problem with CR battery in PS, but also CR battery exist in bunch of other electronic devices, but for some reason you see this a problem in PS platform in next 15 years or so. :/
Who cares if its in other devices? If a computer battery runs out I can replace it and the computer works, it doesn't need to connect to the internet and render everything unless.

Because other devices won't brick after the battery is replaced until they hear back from the server. Just look at the Dreamcast, that little fucker still chugs along fine even if you replace the battery.

Dreamcast has something equivalent to trophies, digital store????

YCoCg

Dreamcast has something equivalent to trophies, digital store????
As I said earlier, the PS4 will be the testing ground, IF Sony push a firmware to disable these checks once they get rid of the store (something which they've done for the PS3 and Vita) then everything is cool. But it IS a design flaw once the servers are down and this hardware you own becomes a brick.

lachesis

To be honest, I don't mind changing out CMOS battery when it's time to - but I wish it was located somewhat easier place so that I don't have to take apart the whole thing.
I recently changed my PS3 Slim CMOS battery while I was replacing the super noisy, clicky fan. I had to go all the way down to the Motherboard, and had to re-apply thermals and all.

I did notice, that it had to re-connect to the PSN to authenticate my games. As long as the PSN is alive and active - I'm sure it won't be much of an issue, but recent store closing made me aware that it could be gone someday, and those purchases may be rendered useless in sometime in the future. Certainly hope that's not the case.

Mr Moose

Because if the battery dies, and you replace the battery, the system must connect to PSN before it lets you play games - disk or digital. The issue is if Sony has shut down PSN for the PS4 (like they are doing for the PS3 and their handhelds), you're screwed. Your trick won't work.
Has it been fully tested with connect to the internet unticked after the battery has died? I'm tempted to remove my PS4s CMOS battery and try but I'll need a special screw driver I think.

reinking

Gold Member
You can replace the battery, but you'll then have to connect it online. Same as the PS4.

The batteries usually last around 10-15 years. Once it goes dead, you'll have to reestablish an online connection with Sony's servers in order for it to synch back up.
Let's just hope Sony keeps that as an option.

Why does every thread about this issue have to be full of people who do not even understand what the issue is?

No, replacing the battery won't help once the servers are down. To the system, removing the battery is the same as having it die, even if you replace it right afterwards. It will still require a connection to PSN to unlock access to your games, and if PSN is gone you're fucked.

Top Bottom