• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Spotlight was up against this year's field, would it win Best Picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh5890

I think so, although it would be close with La La Land which appears to be the leader by a good pace. Overall though I think last year had a better group of films that were nominated for best picture.

The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester By The Sea
Moonlight

UberTag

Doubtful. The La La Land juggernaut is rather daunting.
That said, Spotlight arguably has more relevance today than it did just 12 short months ago.

Aurongel

Doubtful. The La La Land juggernaut is rather daunting.
That said, Spotlight arguably has more relevance today than it did just 12 short months ago.
Didn't consider that, you make a good point. That being said, I think most would agree that Arrival and/or Moonlight are better than most of what was nominated last year.

The only thing that makes me doubt that is Fury Road.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Wow, I'm just now realizing I enjoyed 7/8 BP nominees in 2015 over any of the BP nominees in 2016. I liked a lot of those movies nominated this year but definitely thought 2015 had a much better line up as far as Best Picture goes.

UberTag

Wow, I'm just now realizing I enjoyed 7/8 BP nominees in 2015 over any of the BP nominees in 2016. I liked a lot of those movies nominated this year but definitely thought 2015 had a much better line up as far as Best Picture goes.
It's funny. I consider 2016 to be a much stronger year for cinema but I feel 2015 had a much stronger Best Picture field.
Many of the best films from last year have been relegated to the foreign film or animated feature categories... or simply weren't nominated at all.

Nafai1123

Banned
If it came out this year I would root for it. I found the films last year to be stronger overall. I also think Whiplash >>> La La Land.

I thought Room was better than Spotlight last year! That said, the only Best Picture nominee I've seen this year was Hell or High Water, and it was okay. So maybe Spotlight would beat it out.

Absolutely not. Shouldn't even have won last year.

Yeah. I thought the film was pretty decent but it pales in comparison to fury road or a few of the movies nominated this year

Also a movie about uncrompromised investigative journalism.....that's fantasy. And the Oscars don't often award genre movies

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I think so. Having finally seen all the choices for this year, the best picture should go to either Lion, or Moonlight...

Probably not as I think both La La Land and Moonlight are better movies, but certainly would be seen as a more "important" today with post-fact / fake news being big topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom