• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could tell the whole industry what to improve?

mystech

Number 1 thing for me is creativity and willingness to take more risk. That’s part of what made gaming so cool back in the 90s and early 2000s. The developers were ready, willing and eager to try new ideas, create new IPs and explore new gameplay mechanics.

Nowadays, developers are too afraid to take risk. Every other game is an FPS. Open world games used to mean large sandboxes with plenty to explore but now they are just empty and soulless (other than Elden Ring). This generation in particular has seen a large amount of sequels and HD remakes. In fact we’ve even gotten a couple HD remakes of games that have already had HD remakes.

I understand the budget argument. I understand games take much longer to make. However, neither of those are actually good arguments to explain the steady decline of AAA games. In fact, even the indie game sector has begun to show less creativity and new ideas. It’s very rare that something comes out that’s truly unique rather than just a new skin and new setting of something you’ve already played…

It especially sucks when you think about how much more power and capabilities we have today. We could really be getting some truly groundbreaking experiences but instead we’ve been playing the same games over and over since the PS3 generation just with better graphics, new characters and a new setting. Deep down you know it’s true…

My suggestions:

- Optimize the gaming budgets and timeframes: With better management and better development tools, it can be done. UE5 has already introduced a few tools that can potentially speed up workflows. With more exploration into new tools like this, we can take games from 5 year development cycles down to 3 years. Anyone who has worked on games before knows this is true.

- Make use of A.I.: A.I. can speed things up considerably while also requiring less human labor. Sure A.I. can enable lazy development and lazy designs but if used CORRECTLY, it can enable MORE creativity and more unique experiences. As someone who has used AI for many projects, I assure you the quality of AI produced products comes down to the user NOT the AI system itself.

- STOP f-ing selling out to big companies!! The larger companies are publicly traded which means their loyalty lies with their share holders. It’s no wonder AAA has declined so much when a bunch of old men in suits have such a big impact on what gets made. Same issue with the movie industry. Shareholders kill creativity. We need more development studios that are willing to stay private.

Okay rant over 😂

IceSage91

Banned
- Make use of A.I.: A.I. can speed things up considerably while also requiring less human labor. Sure A.I. can enable lazy development and lazy designs but if used CORRECTLY, it can enable MORE creativity and more unique experiences. As someone who has used AI for many projects, I assure you the quality of AI produced products comes down to the user NOT the AI system itself.
😂
Dont.... but like dont do this. tho..

mystech

Dont.... but like dont do this. tho..
As I said above, if A.I. is used correctly, it can actually improve things and bring new creativity. A.I. has become like a new 4 letter word for a lot of people but I guarantee most of those people haven’t actually investigated the possibilities. The system is only as good as the HUMAN who is operating it. You can certainly use it for plagiarism and laziness but I’d argue that has a lot more to do with the human who is using it… not the system itself.

As the tech improves it can definitely be helpful for speeding up game development and lowering budgets. Character animation, model optimization, script creation / optimization and NPC behavior are all areas that take a LOT of time. If these were handled by AI (or at least started) games would be made much faster and the developers would have more time to actually be creative.

IMO: leave the mundane task to AI as much as possible. Leave the creative task to humans. As soon as you involve AI into the creative process, that’s where we get issues.

X-Wing

Create what you envision, don't refer to tick boxes, don't listen to outside sources
Don't think
"will this offend someone"
The beauty of creating something is seeing people react and enjoy something YOU created.
Not something you made with guidelines to suit other people's needs.
Because if you do that, did you really create it?
or did you paint by numbers.

You are an outside source providing guidelines.

Stop taking so damn long to release a game or take unacessary risk with your games. Square will always be in my shitlist for setting unrealistic expectation for Mankind Divided. Rather than one big hub they should focus on smaller closed areas like hitman. You dont need mainline final fantasy budget for Deus Ex and then say it failed to meet expectations. Fuck you.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Hot girls, thought provoking stories and no gambling(no cash shop, no MTX, no FOMO). Not catering to the 2% minority that won't play your game might also help. Good RPGs too.

Revival of Senran Kagura: 7even. Because Busty Ninja Girls with jamming music.

Find a way to make sure that good indie games don't slip under the radar during months where a ton of AAA games are coming out.

A really stylish and fun game indie game came out recently and it slipped under everyone's radars.

Gif_NarrationC.gif

Gif_Fencing.gif

The game's name is "En Garde!"

IceSage91

Banned
This. As the tech gets better and better, characters get uglier and uglier. Especially from Western devs.
Characters look better now than they have ever looked
Find a way to make sure that good indie games don't slip under the radar during months where a ton of AAA games are coming out.

A really stylish and fun game indie game came out recently and it slipped under everyone's radars.

Gif_NarrationC.gif

Gif_Fencing.gif

The game's name is "En Garde!"
great game and also on sale at the moment!

Fredrik

As the 90th person to say this I just don't know how anyone can make this claim in the same year that Street Fighter 6 dropped
SF6 is a relatively niche game, like all fighting games I almost said but maybe Tekken is bigger idk. It’s cool that Capcom don’t follow the unisex trends western devs are going for but it’s not actually doing much for the whole industry, same thing with JRPGs.

I’d say that Cyberpunk is much more important but I’m not sure big western devs and publishers pay attention to what CDPR are doing either. CDPR is probably seen as a quirky european dev that is helplessly behind on design methology.

What needs to happen is a big Sony or Microsoft or EA or Rockstar or Activision Blizzard game going all in on making female characters hot. And critics and gaming media needs to praise it instead of posting concern articles.

But it’s not going to happen, it’ll only keep on getting worse. Diablo 4 was the first showcase how bad it is, Starfield is the latest, next up is Spider-Man 2, after that GTA6. In the west it is now considered shameful to highlight female beauty and womanly curves.

Last edited:

IceSage91

Banned
SF6 is a relatively niche game, like all fighting games I almost said but maybe Tekken is bigger idk. It’s cool that Capcom don’t follow the unisex trends western devs are going for but it’s not actually doing much for the whole industry, same thing with JRPGs.

I’d say that Cyberpunk is much more important but I’m not sure big western devs and publishers pay attention to what CDPR are doing either. CDPR is probably seen as a quirky european dev that is helplessly behind on design methology.

What needs to happen is a big Sony or Microsoft or EA or Rockstar or Activision Blizzard game going all in on making female characters hot. And critics and gaming media needs to praise it instead of posting concern articles.

But it’s not going to happen, it’ll only keep on getting worse. Diablo 4 was the first showcase how bad it is, Starfield is the latest, next up is Spider-Man 2, after that GTA6. In the west it is now considered shameful to highlight female beauty and womanly curves.
Im sorry did you just tell me Diablo IV, the game with the big demon step on me mommy, is showcasing how bad it is... Man maybe we got some different ideas about sexy characters

Woopah

How important is it for Western devs to go go all on making male characters cute, and to highlight their cuteness and their curves?

Fredrik

Im sorry did you just tell me Diablo IV, the game with the big demon step on me mommy, is showcasing how bad it is... Man maybe we got some different ideas about sexy characters
Well yea compare the characters to past games in the genre. Baldur’s Gate 3 is better, but just as with CDPR, made by a european dev and likely not seen as modern enough for the big US based devs.

Last edited:

IceSage91

Banned
Well yea compare the characters to past games in the genre. Baldur’s Gate 3 is better, but just as with CDPR, made by a european dev and likely not seen as modern enough for the big US based devs.
Overwatch-2-unleashes-new-Sojourn-cinematic-and-lore.jpg

People who say US devs don't make sexy characters anymore are just too afraid to have their heads squished between Sojourns thicc robo thighs

Fredrik

How important is it for Western devs to go go all on making male characters cute, and to highlight their cuteness and their curves?
I doubt there are many out there who want cute and curvy male characters but Spider-Man 2 is coming up soon with the 19 inches of Venom and painted on latex suit etc so there is that.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
1. More linear or semi linear games that don't have to be graphical powerhouses. Sell them for $40-70 and have them be 12-20 hour campaigns

2. More 3d platformers!

Also agree with everyone here on hot women, specifically big chested ones. Feels like they're pushing an image of beauty when they do push it though FF7 remake at least has curvy Tifa

Last edited:

Woopah

I doubt there are many out there who want cute and curvy male characters but Spider-Man 2 is coming up soon with the 19 inches of Venom and painted on latex suit etc so there is that.
I don't think Venom is designed with sex appeal in mind....

Fredrik

Overwatch-2-unleashes-new-Sojourn-cinematic-and-lore.jpg

People who say US devs don't make sexy characters anymore are just too afraid to have their heads squished between Sojourns thicc robo thighs
Big and bulky with muscles. Yawn. Wake me up when a western dev dare to create a normal build character with curves. Leaked GTA6 girl was interesting but they’ll probably tweak her to fit the western female design template. We’ll see.

MAtgS

More intricate; less bloated.

I want Warren Spector's RPG set in a fully-simulated city block vs another Ubisoft-inspired open world with filler fetch quests.
Bloat's a good one. Too many of the games I've been playing in the last few years drag on for far too long.

IceSage91

Banned
Big and bulky with muscles. Yawn. Wake me up when a western dev dare to create a normal build character with curves. Leaked GTA6 girl was interesting but they’ll probably tweak her to fit the western female design template. We’ll see.
Are those thighs not curvy!?

Smaller, cheaper, less graphically intensive games. Elden ring took 2-3 years to develop but other less stellar games take 5+? Less scale back some .

Top Bottom