• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN MLB Slugfest 2004 Review! Awesome!

DMczaf

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/524/524541p1.html

8.5 Presentation
SlugFest does pretty much everything it advertises. There?s a lot of eye-candy throughout the game to keep you interested even if you aren?t playing.

7.0 Graphics
The player faces are mapped extraordinarily well. It?s a little cartooney, but hey, it?s an arcade game, not a simulation.

6.0 Sound
The announcers are annoying, and the crowd noise is completely unrealistic.

8.0 Gameplay
There are some issues with defensive control as well as baserunner control. Other than that, it?ll keep you captivated.

8.5 Lasting Appeal
Obviously, this game will be dated by spring training next season. The online roster updates will keep the game current, and that should hold you over until the next version is released.

8.0 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

As far as online gaming goes, SlugFest is excellent. I experienced very little lag and had a very positive experience. Other baseball games that I've played in the past have been very laggy and very disappointing. Playing online doesn't mess up your timing for hitting at all. The MLB.com stat/score ticker is also really cool as it actually provides scores of real games while you play. Anyone with a passion for the game of baseball like mine will appreciate it a lot as it eliminates the need to check the scoreboard while gaming. The online tournaments built in to the game are easy to set up and enable you to play against the best gamers in the world.

Beyond the SlugFest option, new this year there is also the MLB Classic mode. This is more of a real baseball style simulation. This mode eliminates the trick pitches, the turbo button, and the ability of players to go on fire. There is also an accuracy meter that shows up while you are pitching. It is very similar to the kicking meters in most football video games. If you click too early on the meter, the pitch will stray high, if you click too late, then the pitch will fall low.

Mrbob

I wish Midway would release Slugfest in March or April.

Late June is way too late. We are starting to get into the beginning of football season!

Top Bottom