• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reviews Mario Golf: Advance Tour

ruffles

10.0 Presentation
Absolutely brilliant and thorough golfing experience that goes well beyond the console experience. The RPG element adds depth to an already great golfing design.
9.0 Graphics
If you liked the Golden Sun style, you'll love the look of Mario Golf. The 3D view's a little awkward, but after a few minutes you won't even notice the strange Mode 7 skewing.
9.0 Sound
Fantastic audio and soundtrack throughout the experience, though some tune selections don't exactly fit the golf action.
10.0 Gameplay
Camelot really knows its golf. GameCube Mario Golf was great, but the GBA version blows it away in features and depth.
10.0 Lasting Appeal
Single player, multiplayer, tournaments, RPG level-up, GameCube connectivity, Wireless network support. Did I miss anything?
OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/522/522816p1.html

Wow. Good score

Andy787

Banned
Fuck yes.

Mario is golfing.
Mario is riding a go-kart.
Mario is partying.
Mario is playing tennis.
Mario is pwning.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
emot-dance1.gif

One reason I'm really looking forward to this is it looks more like golfing in the Mario universe than previous games with the crazy panels and all of the Mario elements taken from the GC version. I really like what Camelot pulledoff in this version, they really worked hard on it.

Now they should go back and finish the GS series.. D:

cja

You can keep your Hot Shot Golfs, your home console Mario Golfs, Tiger Woods, Links et al, Mario Golf GBC is still my favourite Golf game since the original Leaderboard. Bring it on.

cvxfreak

I wish this came out in the U.S. just a bit earlier as it looks like it would be a great game for a long airplane trip. =/

Alucard

Banned
Sounds great. I don't actually own any golf games so I might have to pick this up. I was a big fan of NES Tournament Golf back in the day so if this betters that then it's a definite winner. RPG elements sound great too. Now if only Metroid Zero Mission wasn't so damn addictive and I could tear myself away from it...

Meier

Edge was the only place I've heard call this game much less than perfect. I know Fenky raved and raved about it.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
...or maybe we shouldn't expect edge's iconoclasm and ign's fanboy pandering to produce similar opinions.

at any rate, i'm all over this. difficult to go wrong with arcadey golfing, and the rpg elements sound excellent.

Socreges

Banned
drohne said:
...or maybe we shouldn't expect edge's iconoclasm and ign's fanboy pandering to produce similar opinions.
You've only reinforced my point. That there has to be a reason for such a huge discrepancy. I didn't mean to imply that either one or the other is right.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I can't comment on either review since I'm not reading 'em, but I say Mario Golf is worth your $30.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Socreges said:
I didn't mean to imply that either one or the other is right.

er, so what did you mean to imply? that one or the other is literally under the influence of drugs? i'm just curious.

Vargas

Yes. I thought the first Hot Shots Golf was great but I just couldn't get into Mario Golf. Most of the mini games annoyed me. Hitting the ball through rings was not fun.

Yusaku

fenekku-gitsune said:
Do you like, uh, golf?

I loathe real golf, but I enjoy the Hot Shots/Mario Golf games. I guess what I'm saying, I like golf as long as I don't have to go outside.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Vargas said:
If I did not enjoy Mario Golf would it be possible for me to like this game?

Definitely. Mario Golf on GBC was great even though the latest console game was mediocre. If this is like the original, and why shouldn't it be, then you should be well satisfied. I'm buying it on day 1.

Musashi Wins! said:
Mario Golf on GBC was great even though the latest console game was mediocre.

What's with all the Toadstool Tour dislike on the GAF, anyway? I thought it was not only the best in the entire Minna no Golf series - and I've been playing and loving them all since the first one came out in Japan - but also possibly my favorite game of 2003. MNG4 was great as well, and will probably end up toppling Toadstool Tour in my book once it comes out in the US with online play, but regardless - MG:TT was seriously top-notch stuff.

cvxfreak

reggieandTFE said:
What do you get when you connect it to the GC game?

I think you unlock characters in the GC game. But you can train them in GBA Tour and then upload their updated stats onto Family Tour.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
bobbyconover said:
What's with all the Toadstool Tour dislike on the GAF, anyway? I thought it was not only the best in the entire Minna no Golf series - and I've been playing and loving them all since the first one came out in Japan - but also possibly my favorite game of 2003. MNG4 was great as well, and will probably end up toppling Toadstool Tour in my book once it comes out in the US with online play, but regardless - MG:TT was seriously top-notch stuff.

I don't think it was top notch at all. I certainly don't hate it, but it's merely competent. I didn't think it had that many good courses, some wacked out camera work occasionally, etc. It's not that it does anything that poorly but it also fails to really knock your socks off anywhere either. The mini-games and extras are sorta meh too. I guess I just had higher expectations for it. I thought Hot Shots was a better game and I expect the next version to beat this as well. I know a lot of people who enjoyed it ok, but no one who was blown away by it. I'd agree with the majority of reviews it got. Good, not great. Perhaps saying "mediocre" was too much. Basically it's an alright arcade golf game with Mario characters.

ShyGuy

I MUST have this game. I already loved it at E3, and any score like that is like icing, you know, on the cake! :)

Top Bottom