• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Top Ten Call of Duty Campaigns

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

So which Call of Duty games have the greatest campaigns? IGN’s keenest and crustiest Call of Duty fans combined to carve out a list of our favourite single-player stories, plucked from all throughout the series’ two-decade history.
Here are our top 10 Call of Duty campaigns.

Mine are cod4 and cod2.

James Franco GIF

Juza

List:

#01 Call of Duty: Black Ops
#02 Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
#03 Call of Duty 2
#04 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
#05 Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
#06 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019
#07 Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
#08 Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
#09 Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
#10 Call of Duty: WWII

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Infinite Warfare is the only one I would recommend to anyone who likes singleplayer games. United Offensive and CoD4 were also brilliant for their time.

Black Ops 1 & 2 campaigns are so overrated imo Blops 2 gets points for trying new things I guess.

MadPanda

Banned
I enjoyed cod 2 and 4 campaigns a lot. I also enjoyed black ops 1 and 2 as some action movies where you try a bunch of different weapons. Infinite warfare was such a refreshment in the formula, it's a shame it got overlooked as people outraged for its setting. MW2019 has some good missions but overall I didn't find it memorable.

All in all, it's a solid list and I'd like to play some of these campaigns again. COD on gamepass when?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Shout out to Ghosts and Black Ops 3. Both considered worst campaigns which I found surprisingly good.
Ghosts is good overall and Black Ops 3 has really interesting story that's told unlike any other game.

Obviously original Modern Warfare is the best with it's sequel right after.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fuck the haters. Infinite Warfare is one of the best single player campaigns in the entire PS4 | XBO generation.

The CoD branding and negative marketing brought it down, but it is an amazing campaign to play.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Black OPS is by far the best.

If you don't have it on first place, you don't know what the numbers means

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
IGN gonna IGN.
The first BLOPS was alright but it's not above COD4MW & MW2
And Infinite Warfare is way too low

I only play single-player games, so I was never a big COD fan. Recently, however, I have bought Infinite Warfare and I'm still blown away how good this game is. Infinite Warfare reminded me of Killzone and if I only knew that this game was nothing like the old COD games I would have bought it sooner.
+amazing (hollywood film style) campaign
+awesome combat and superb gamepad support (you can feel your movement and aiming is just exremely easy and fun). The game is more dynamic compared to other COD games that I have played in the past, and finally I no longer had to use iron sights at close range.
+many space fighter jet missions, I thought like playing star wars game :D
+very good grahics (extremely detailed character models and assets), and great optimisation. This game run with over 100fps even on my old PC.
+beautiful music and audio effects. This game shines on 5.1

IMO infinite warfare is a complete game and I just cant understand why so many people hate this game. Personally I rate this game as high as killzone.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The original Call of Duty and it's expansion, United Offensive, will always be my favorites. Call of Duty 2 was also great, but I felt it was just a little bit worse than it's predecessor.

Medal of Honor did Save Private Ryan while the first CoD did Enemy at the Gates, and my man did they nail it.

YuLY

Infinite Warfare is the best COD campaign ever made. Also, Blops 3 is super underrated, a lot of the people dont understand the twist at the end, its really wild if you research it, the writers went above and beyond for the market/demo this game targets, but I super respect that.

In my opinion, COD almost always delivered on the campaign front (maybe besides Vanguard which I really didnt like). There arent many that keep doing these 5-6h big budget SP campaigns, its been like a decade since Battlefield attempted it and thats it, not many alternatives around, so might as well appreciate COD ones cause they still put them out and are still decent.

SkylineRKR

I think Infinite Warfare is the best. But its overlooked because the MP was trash. This one should be 1 by default. Its fairly big, well presented, fun mechanics.. the setting might turn some people off but IW was the only campaign I thought its up there with dedicated SP shooters. I didn't buy it at launch too, because the Beta was awful. But then I bought the legacy for like 15 bucks somewhere and the campaign took me by surprise. Its much better than MW Remaster.

Black Ops 1 was good too. Original MW was good. CoD 2 was good.

The latest MW2 is horrible.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

02:34 Black Ops 3
07:35 Vanguard
14:26 Ghosts
17:34 Advanced Warfare
21:36 Call of Duty 3
24:08 WW2
26:15 Infinite Warfare
29:53 Modern Warfare 3
32:44 Call of Duty 1
35:54 MW1 & 2 (Remakes)
38:44 World at War
41:29 Cold War
45:03 Black Ops 2
47:14 Black Ops 1
51:07 Call of Duty 2
56:44 Modern Warfare 1
1:02:06 Modern Warfare 2
1:06:07 Outro

• 🎮 The speaker is going to rank the Call of Duty campaigns from worst to best based on his opinion.
  • 🎮 Black Ops 4 and Warzone will not be considered as they do not have single-player campaigns.
  • 🎮 Console and portable spin-offs like Finest Hour and Big Red One will not be rated as they are not comparable to the others.
  • 🎮 Black Ops 3 is ranked as the worst campaign in the speaker's opinion due to a confusing plot, bad voice acting, and ruined cinematics.
  • 🎮 The game is set in the near future where wars have become a part of everyday life and soldiers are an expendable commodity.
  • 🎮 The protagonist is generic-looking and has no name or gender importance to the plot.
  • 🎮 The gameplay is a classic example of throwing too much at the wall and hoping something sticks
  • 🎮 The speaker is ranking the Call of Duty campaigns from worst to best.
  • 🤔 The speaker is disappointed with how the game developers represented the military outfit of Ratchet to Brook in Call of Duty: World War II.
  • 📉 Call of Duty: World War II is considered one of the worst games in the franchise due to its horribly paced and dreadfully told story about a fictitious group of boring characters.
  • 🐶 In Call of Duty: Ghosts, the player can use a German Shepherd named Raleigh to assist during certain missions, which the speaker finds fun.
  • 🌎 Call of Duty: Ghosts is set in the near future where the world has been decimated by nuclear war, and the United States is in direct conflict with the Federation, a new superpower comprised of Latin American countries.
  • 🐟 The game developers attempted to revamp fish AI in Call of Duty: Ghosts, which shows that the series had become too scared to try new things or take too many risks.
  • 🎮 The speaker talks about the game "Call of Duty: World War II" that was released in 2017, which is not as well-received as the others in the series, but the speaker appreciates the campaign for its old-school combat style, dark and gritty atmosphere, and fixed health bar. The game also allows the player to feel like they are part of a squad, and there is even a stealth mission. The speaker thinks the game is treated unfairly, considering the general trend of the series.
  • 🎮 The speaker discusses "Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare," which was released in 2016 and is also underrated in the series. The game is set in space, and the player can complete optional side tasks to unlock upgrades. The combat style has a futuristic feel, with the use of energy weapons and zero-gravity sections, and the gunplay feels smooth and responsive. The game allows the player to use different abilities, such as cooking grenades before throwing them and hacking into robots to take them over.
  • 🎮 The first campaign of Modern Warfare remake is a solid effort with a tense and exciting house raid mission that sets it apart from the original game. The Modern Warfare 2 remake does a good job of updating the original game, with similar house raids and new, exciting combat sequences. It also features the return of familiar characters like Price, Ghost, and Gaz.
  • 🎮 World at War is a great game that captures the atrocities and the darker tone of war, especially in the Pacific theater. It features some pretty gruesome and horrific scenes and introduces the player to the notorious flamethrower weapon. The game has a legendary status for being the hardest game in the series, especially on veteran mode. The soundtrack also played a big part in selling the tone, with some memorable tracks composed by Sean Murray.
  • 🎮 Mason is a sleeper agent programmed to assassinate JFK, and the game's plot twist about Resnov's identity is one of the best mind of all time.
  • 🎮 Black Ops campaign made the player feel like a CIA operative doing all the wet work, performing clandestine covert operations under Cloak and Dagger, which influenced every single campaign after it.
  • 🎮 Black Ops is one of the grittier campaigns, changing people's perception for how these campaigns could play and feel, marking a darker and more serious turning point in the way Call of Duty tells their stories.
  • 🎮 Call of Duty 2 is a perfect sequel, building upon every element the first game introduced, and it was the first game to use what we now know as the standard for regenerating Health.
  • 🎮 Call of Duty 2 has memorable World War II missions with set pieces and scripted events that are really memorable.
  • 🎮 "Easy Prey" section: the night vision goggles highlight laser sights on enemies' weapons making it easier to locate them; there are one-off missions such as piloting an AC-130 Gunship and covering Soap and Captain Price from the air; the soundtrack composed by Hans Zimmer and Stephen Barton is considered one of the best in the series and one of the best of all time.
  • 🎮 "Modern Warfare 2" section: the game is compared to the sequels The Empire Strikes Back, Terminator 2, Aliens, and The Godfather 2; the story takes place at a point when Russia has invaded the US, and there are missions that hit close to home for certain people, such as fighting in a middle-class environment; the infamous mission "No Russian" is discussed, where the player is told to mow down hundreds of innocent civilians with an LMG.

GManLives content has gotten much worser in my opinion. He rants about unnecessary crap and usually bloats the video length by 10+ minutes. Doesn't help too that every comparison he makes of an FPS game is Half-Life or Half-Life 2.

YuLY

My ranking:
1.Modern Warfare 2 (2009)
2.Black Ops 1
3.Infinite Warfare
4.Modern Warfare (2007)
5.World At War
6.Black Ops 2
7.Black Ops: Cold War
8.Black Ops 3
9.Modern Warfare 3
10.Advanced Warfare
11.Ghosts
12.CoD 2
13.WW2 (2017)
14.CoD 1
|
|
|
|
15.Vanguard

I dont care about the MW remakes and CoD 3 was console only so it doesnt exist for me.
I legit really like all of them, except Vanguard, which is trash. I rank CoD 1 and 2 low as I tried to replay them not long ago and kinda forced myself to go through them, they were top tier for their time, but they are archaic by modern standards, especially the first one, after going from the smooth movement and graphics of modern one to the first one is just insane, like not even same francize.

Last edited:

GymWolf

People actually play the campaign in cod games?

I thought it was like battlefield where no one play the campaign at all.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Fuck the haters. Infinite Warfare is one of the best single player campaigns in the entire PS4 | XBO generation.

The CoD branding and negative marketing brought it down, but it is an amazing campaign to play.

might be of that generation but Modern warfare ws much better on 360/PS3

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
People actually play the campaign in cod games?

I thought it was like battlefield where no one play the campaign at all.
Battlefield campaigns were always just an after thought, an advertisement for the multiplayer.
CoD campaigns are a full on hollywood blockbuster spectacles, people definitely play and enjoy them yes.

hyperbertha

Black OPS is by far the best.

If you don't have it on first place, you don't know what the numbers means
I felt it's story was pretty gimmicky tbh. And it's gameplay was pretty ho hum, with no stand out levels like cod4 and older era weapons.

Top Bottom