• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clarky

Gold Member
I ended up refunding MWIII at launch. Thought I'd get into Warzone again but I didn't.

Decided to try Rebirth Island and the game actually seems fun again. Almost won the two matches I played.

The game probably gave me bot lobbies and I have no desire to start leveling weapons to be competitive again. I know loadouts are a fundamental part of the game, but a ground loot only mode could be interesting.

That said, I think I'll play some and see how it goes.

Game is in a great state just now, much better than MWII.

Last edited:

nikos

Game is in a great state just now, much better that MWII.

It immediately felt way better. I played MWII's version of Warzone quite a bit but it was ultimately what drew me away from the game.

This version feels really good to play, looks fantastic, runs perfectly.

If I don't let myself get too salty over the inevitable bullshit that resurfaces, I can see myself playing it regularly again.

Just got a W on the third game. I'm sure SBMM is gonna start kicking in soon lol.

Kind of wish the game had ranked Solos. Maybe I can rope my friends back into the game again.

clarky

Gold Member
It immediately felt way better. I played MWII's version of Warzone quite a bit but it was ultimately what drew me away from the game.

This version feels really good to play, looks fantastic, runs perfectly.

If I don't let myself get too salty over the inevitable bullshit that resurfaces, I can see myself playing it regularly again.

Just got a W on the third game. I'm sure SBMM is gonna start kicking in soon lol.

Kind of wish the game had ranked Solos. Maybe I can rope my friends back into the game again.
Yup, if they just loosened up the SBMM even a little bit to satisfy the upper echelons of the player base then i think pretty much everyone would be happy.

Great spread of maps just now in the core game, and a few in rotation for Resurgence. My 2 main modes.

At work on rubbish internet but looking forward to playing Rebirth again as soon as it gets finished.

30gb on Steam.

So much content in the last 2 season I'm starting to think that the art team, or whoever is responsible for the cosmetics, is actually bigger than the core dev team lol
They definitely have a small army of artists churning this stuff out, even a single operator can take a 2-3 weeks to build, wouldn't be surprised if there are 20-30 dedicated artists working on the cosmetics.

clarky

Gold Member
They definitely have a small army of artists churning this stuff out, even a single operator can take a 2-3 weeks to build, wouldn't be surprised if there are 20-30 dedicated artists working on the cosmetics.
This area is were i think AI tech will put a lot out of a job. Train it on all the 1000's of previous COD skins and it will just pump them out for fun.

"Show me a Ghost Call of Duty 3d model in a Warmhammer 40k style". Bang, a new skin in seconds. That's if they are not already using the tech.

Last edited:
This area is were i think AI tech will put a lot out of a job. Train it on all the 1000's of previous COD skins and it will just pump them out for fun.

"Show me a Ghost Call of Duty 3d model in a Warmhammer 40k style". Bang, a new skin in seconds. That's if they are not already using the tech.
Nah, AI can't do abstraction, and it needs to be trained, put an AI in charge to generate 3d models and at best they'll look a patchwork of whatever it's trained on and an artist still needs to go over it; at worst they'll look like complete shit.
Artists definitely use automation in their workflows already though and will continue to use better tools as they improve. AI generation will definitely speed up small/single studio development.

clarky

Gold Member
Nah, AI can't do abstraction, and it needs to be trained, put an AI in charge to generate 3d models and at best they'll look a patchwork of whatever it's trained on and an artist still needs to go over it; at worst they'll look like complete shit.
Artists definitely use automation in their workflows already though and will continue to use better tools as they improve. AI generation will definitely speed up small/single studio development.
Pretty sure I said train it on the already available 1000's of COD skins.

Maybe the tech isn't quite there yet but it will be.

Last edited:

TexMex

I don't follow it very closely but I guess I thought Rebirth was a traditional battle royale map. Not one for resurgence. And don't like this new map at all.

Wish they'd quit taking Vondel away.

clarky

Gold Member
I don't follow it very closely but I guess I thought Rebirth was a traditional battle royale map. Not one for resurgence. And don't like this new map at all.

Wish they'd quit taking Vondel away.
Its been kicking around in various CoDs for a while but it was the OG Resurgence map. I have not played it in this form just yet but it was hands down the GOAT Resurgence map. Give it some time, it will grow on you once you get to know the spots well im sure.

BTW I find Vondel has too many dead areas and is a complete lottery at the end most of the time.

Last edited:
Got the black cell, stuff on it looks nice.
Played 6 star, dunno, seems like a lot of places to move around, didn't like it that much
Played emergency, same felt like people were just popping out from everywhere.
Played CTF, was cool enough I guess, but I prefer modes where I don't have to wait to respawn
MORS is crazy

calistan

They messed with the menu music! I really liked the old one, it was dark and moody and sort of unfolded over a long playing time. This one is too busy for my taste.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Little PSA anyone doing the weeklies for the reload LMG while taking damage I switched to the TAQ and walked into my own thermobaric grenade and reloaded and got them all done in one match.

As a word of caution, they really buffed those things :)

The shimo kong bundle is out and I knew they were going to do a bundle exclusive thing, good thing I haven't spent any cp yet and have like 8k just sitting there.
The shimo bundle seems to be a better value than the kong one though, tracers and death effects, a cool finisher, mastercraft inspect on the gun, a custom stun grenade and the operater skin with animated effects; the kong pack really only has the great finisher.
The godzilla pack doesn't have guns as good as the shimo pack, but at least godzilla skin is reactive I guess, the skar king pack seems to be the worst one, as anemic as kong's, but also doesn't have an impressive finisher.

clarky

Gold Member
Loving being back on Rebirth. Everything is the same but with with a very nice lick of paint. I do prefer the old security but I know that's a minority opinion.

Brings back lockdown memories, Jesus did I hammer this game back then. Good times lol.

wipeout364

Game feels really good right now. Maps are excellent too with a lot of variety in the rotations. Adding the option to stay in lobby is a great addition as well. Really happy with this years COD. Going to be bittersweet to move on to whatever is in this years upcoming release.

FYI : I am playing almost exclusively multiplayer domination, hard point, kill confirmed and team death match.

splattered

Holy shit I am God awful at warzone... I don't know why. I am pretty decent at the regular multi-player modes but for some reason I just get totally destroyed in WZ very quickly and in resurgence.. repeatedly. I played the crap out of Rebirth Island in Blops 4 and did fairly well but for some reason MW3 WZ version of this map and mode I am trash. Ugh.

clarky

Gold Member
Holy shit I am God awful at warzone... I don't know why. I am pretty decent at the regular multi-player modes but for some reason I just get totally destroyed in WZ very quickly and in resurgence.. repeatedly. I played the crap out of Rebirth Island in Blops 4 and did fairly well but for some reason MW3 WZ version of this map and mode I am trash. Ugh.
Resurgence just be super aggressive, especially in quads.

calistan

Since the new season I'm finding that the game doesn't work at all with quick resume on the Xbox. It just hangs while waiting for a connection. Not that it's any faster than just loading a fresh copy of the game, but since quick resume is on by default I have to manually quit it before I can play again.

The shimo bundle seems to be a better value than the kong one though, tracers and death effects, a cool finisher,
Does anyone actually do the finishing moves? Maybe it's because I only play hardcore mode, but I've seen a finisher maybe twice in the the entire time I've played MW3. The first time the camera cut away to show some guy tapping me on the shoulder before sticking a rifle in my face. Another time it was some kind of wrestling move. Nothing since then.

I tried to perform a finisher once or twice but I ended up hitting my victim in the back and killing him anyway.

Does anyone actually do the finishing moves? Maybe it's because I only play hardcore mode, but I've seen a finisher maybe twice in the the entire time I've played MW3. The first time the camera cut away to show some guy tapping me on the shoulder before sticking a rifle in my face. Another time it was some kind of wrestling move. Nothing since then.

I tried to perform a finisher once or twice but I ended up hitting my victim in the back and killing him anyway.
Yes, there have been plenty of events as well with finishers giving progress to the unlock.
I do them whenever I can, but the ones I have equipped are a bit longer so there's a bigger chance to be interrupted, but I get them even on chaotic maps like shipment.

twilo99

Key details:
- States ping is the most important factor in matchmaking

- Goal is always lowest possible latency for every player, regardless of skill level (except in Ranked Play)

- Game prioritizes trying to get players into a match as fast as possible with best overall experience

- Players are matched to the best data center that provides the best Ping, and only matched outside of their best data center if not enough players are online to form a match in their main data center

- Shared a chart showing the average ping players had depending on mode & region in MW3 MP

calistan

Yes, there have been plenty of events as well with finishers giving progress to the unlock.
I do them whenever I can, but the ones I have equipped are a bit longer so there's a bigger chance to be interrupted, but I get them even on chaotic maps like shipment.
Maybe I don't see finishers because of hardcore mode, where everything is a one-hit kill anyway. If two other players are doing/receiving a finishing move, can everybody else see the animation?

Maybe I don't see finishers because of hardcore mode, where everything is a one-hit kill anyway. If two other players are doing/receiving a finishing move, can everybody else see the animation?
You need to hold melee to do a finisher, not just hit them in the back; and yes everyone can see it happening, dicks will steal your kill, others will look and make sure you don't get blasted by someone else, interrupting the finisher.

calistan

You need to hold melee to do a finisher, not just hit them in the back; and yes everyone can see it happening, dicks will steal your kill, others will look and make sure you don't get blasted by someone else, interrupting the finisher.
Hold melee while approaching from the back a long distance away, or hold it when within a specific range? Generally if I get that close and don't kill somebody, he'll turn around and waste me, but I'd like to get one of those to work at least once.

Hold melee while approaching from the back a long distance away, or hold it when within a specific range? Generally if I get that close and don't kill somebody, he'll turn around and waste me, but I'd like to get one of those to work at least once.
just melee distance, but instead of tapping melee, you hold it; there should even be a little prompt that shows up that says '[hold melee button] execute'.
I dunno what hardcore is like, but in the regular game it's really hard to hear people if they are just walking, they don't show up on the minimap then either, if you run most people will hear you and turn around.

Top Bottom