• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ikumi Nakamura answers fan questions (IGN Japan) - intends to visit Capcom to propose a new Okami game

Aggelos

The interview is bilingual -> English translation provided by the IGN staff/interviewers.

In an interview with IGN Japan, Ikumi Nakamura answered a bunch of different fan questions. One topic that came up later on in the discussion concerned Okami, including the possibility of a sequel. Nakamura’s response was interesting to say the least.

As relayed by Nakamura’s translator, she actually intends to pitch a new Okami game to Capcom. The only personal guideline she has is for Hideki Kamiya to return as director.

“Regarding Okami, that’s actually the project she wants to make a reality the most. As long as she goes after it, she has a feeling the chances are pretty high that it might become a reality. After quarantine is over and the world becomes normal again, she is planning to make a visit to Capcom and propose the idea, but for her the most important thing is that if it would happen, she wants Kamiya-san to direct it again.”

Nakamura also feels that “there’s still a lot to tell in that universe”. If a new Okami game did happen, she would be fine having any sort of role – be it a producer, designer, or something else. Nakamura was credited on the original title as having worked on background production.

Back in October, Nakamura put up a video with Kamiya on social media and said “Okami is going to be back”. This is the first time we’re hearing about any sort of upcoming pitch though. Whether Capcom has any interest in creating a brand new Okami project remains to be seen.

Last edited:
I've never been so shocked to see a developer get so much attention for so little work that they've done.

Once I read her Resume/CV of her work, I realized how little impact she had on the titles she's worked on. She wasnt even the main artist for bayonetta, just a freaking environmental artist.

I stopped checking her out after reading her credits and realized how cringe her fanbase are for touting her as the female "Shinji Mikami" or "Kamiya".

yurinka

Going back to Capcom to pitch an Okami sequel with Kamiya as director... I want to marry her.
Once I read her Resume/CV of her work, I realized how little impact she had on the titles she's worked on. She wasnt even the main artist for bayonetta, just a freaking environmental artist.
As I see in Moby Games, she was character concept artist of Bayonetta (example: she designed the main character following Kamiya's ideas) and Street Fighter V. Lead artist in Evil Within. Background artist in Okami, 2D artist in Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Ultra Street Fighter IV, Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Street Fighter x Tekken.

She is obviously not a game director, but is now a lead artist who worked in many important games for Capcom, and also as concept artist in a couple of very important games (being one of them the 10th best selling game in Capcom's history). She has a great CV as artist.

And well, she will be my waifu xDD

Last edited:
She's the one who was responsible for the world map with the Bayonetta doll. Bayonetta 2 tried to emulate this detail with Loki flipping his cards but it wasn't nearly as charming; Nakamura wasn't involved with the sequel.

Take some time and read these:
As I see in Moby Games, she was character concept artist of Bayonetta (example: she designed the main character following Kamiya's ideas)
I think you confused her with Mari Shimazaki:

yurinka

I think you confused her with Mari Shimazaki:
Oh, yes. But Nakamura was credited on Bayonetta as "Conceptual design" and as you shown she also designed the concept art of a lot of things of the game (I assume many more than the few examples shown in the articles you linked).

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Gold Member
I came here to hate a bit on her (one cute gesture, why is she famous, yadayada), but then read the bit about Kamiya. Man, she has the best taste. Best woman!

Going back to Capcom to pitch an Okami sequel with Kamiya as director... I want to marry her.

As I see in Moby Games, she was character concept artist of Bayonetta (example: she designed the main character following Kamiya's ideas) and Street Fighter V. Lead artist in Evil Within. Background artist in Okami, 2D artist in Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Ultra Street Fighter IV, Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Street Fighter x Tekken.

She is obviously not a game director, but is now a lead artist who worked in many important games for Capcom, and also as concept artist in a couple of very important games (being one of them the 10th best selling game in Capcom's history). She has a great CV as artist.

And well, she will be my waifu xDD
Her cv sounds awesome.
As 2D artist i know how hard this job is. And yeah to have a great cv like her is a dream that almost every 2d artist in the world want lol

Last edited:
I've never been so shocked to see a developer get so much attention for so little work that they've done.

I stopped checking her out after reading her credits and realized how cringe her fanbase are for touting her as the female "Shinji Mikami" or "Kamiya".
She was the main artist for The Evil Within. Her work on it was fantastic. Look up the artbook scans, I have the physical edition and her art is great, not to mention her commentary is incredibly entertaining. She had a TON of influence on that game. She designed all of the characters and monsters and even convinced Mikami not to kill Joseph.

I loved her before she appeared at E3 and I was glad to see her get recognition. No she isn't another Kojima or anything but she has talent and potential.

Dr_Salt

There's a theory that her sudden Internet fame caused some jealously at Tango Gameworks and she left of her own accord.

Actually the rumor is that Bethesda is implementing some cut costing measures in some of its studios and she got sacked. Rumor also goes that Shinji Mikami is not happy with Bethesda at all and that is part of the reason he was planning to leave Tango for M-Two but Nakamura exiting the company forced him to finish Ghostwire since he was under contract. At least this is what that insider at Reeeera suggested.

Top Bottom