• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm getting a next gen console and this is my HDD/SSD strategy

What are you going to do about storage in the short term?

• McDouble. I'm strictly sticking to the internal SSD only. No external add-ons

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Big Mac. I'm attaching an external HDD only, and will swap files when needed

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Angus Burger. I'm buying and attaching an external SSD only

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Family meal. I'm doing both. Hooking up both an external HDD and SSD

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other (missed an option)

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm getting a next gen Xbox or PS system. SSDs aren't that big, but here's what I'm going to do for let's say the next year if external SSDs stick to around $200.

TeKtheSanE

I mean I just plan on moving the current SSD I have hooked to my my One X to my XsX when I get it and transferring games that way instead of installing them one-by-one via WiFi.

Last edited:

Concern

Im just going to try to wait out a price drop on the ssds. In the meantime I'll just be uninstalling everything i barely play.

Prep: I've got waiting a WD-Black 5TB for the XBX and a 2TB for the PS5. 2.1 cables from mono price as well as a LG C9 55"

Sold old consoles already and don't have one. I thought about plugging in the PS3 but held the controller in my hand and said...nope

I'm going all in; external HDD, external SSD, and finally upgrading the internal SSD to 4TB when 4TB (or more) don't cost the same as a used Hyundai. For the amount of PS5 games I plan on getting -- 40+ over the life of the console -- anything internal under 4TB will be a pain in the ass to manage.

ZywyPL

Banned
I think the best option for everyone who is concerned about the drive space is to forget about the consiles all along and just buy a 4TB SSD instead... Seriously, some of you guys are more concerned about the drives than the actual games and their sizes, which we already know about multiple examples being 50-70GB, just relax and let those consoles launch first.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I play one game at a time, like a normal person. So, I’ll just be using the internal SSD on both consoles.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't really get why this is a McDouble (as that implies two of something), but I'll be fine with just the internal SSD for the foreseeable future. I don't NEED to have more than 665GB (or whatever) of games installed at once.

I'm going all in; external HDD, external SSD, and finally upgrading the internal SSD to 4TB when 4TB (or more) don't cost the same as a used Hyundai. For the amount of PS5 games I plan on getting -- 40+ over the life of the console -- anything internal under 4TB will be a pain in the ass to manage.

Do you really need all those games installed at the same time though? I don't quite understand this.

Last edited:

NeonDelta

Probably get a 4gb hdd to begin with for my series x And maybe get the seagate expansion next year. Would like a 2tb ssd but If I get one of those I’d rather put it in my pc.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If/when I get a digital ps5 the ssd in it should do for the games I would be getting for it (1st party games only).

teezzy

Banned
Filet mignon - I'm chillin with my PC which already has an HDD, SSD, and comparable GPU to next gen consoles.

Top Bottom