• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, "next-gen" has really started in 2023?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It's only now that I'm starting to feel that the last-gen consoles and old PCs are really starting to become outdated.

- Alan Wake is presumably the first game in the west that uses Mesh Shaders (first one is some Chinese MMO called Justice) and barely works on older GPUs. It's completely broken on Pascal and isn't very playable on RDNA1 either.

- The Phantom Liberty expansion of Cyberpunk abandoned the last-gen consoles and playing it now, I understand why. The sheer scale and number of elements on screen would demolish their already frail frame rates. Kudos to CDPR for that.

- Playstation no longer releases AAA titles for the PS4. The last one was GOWR in November 2022. Since then, the focus has entirely shifted to next-gen with major titles such as FF XVI and Spider-Man 2.

- Xbox no longer releases AAA titles for the Xbox One either. All AAA games in 2023 have been Series X/PC-only.

- DirectStorage is seeing a slow but verifiable adoption with Forspoken pioneering its usage in January 2023 and Rift Apart following in May.

- Path tracing on PC has also come to a few select titles such as Alan Wake 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Portal 2

- The adoption of UE5 (lol) along with its new features such as Nanite and Lumen.

- SSDs are increasingly becoming highly recommended, if not mandatory in the latest games.

So, has the transition period finally ended? I think that when we'll do a retrospective a few years from now, 2023 will be considered the year where next-gen started and 2024 when it really took off. I'd say Late 2014 to Late 2020 was last-gen. Early 2021 to Early 2023 was cross-gen. Mid 2023 to now is next-gen. Of course, this means that the concept of "generation" is even more nebulous, seeing that the PS4 was released in November 2013 and in 2023 is still somewhat supported. I can easily the PS5 being supported well into 2032 and the transition period getting even longer with the PS6.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It has. The system requirements jumped but the visual fidelity.... ehhhh

Alan Wake 2 and Overdrive on CP2077 are the things that impress most, this year. I hope to see more like them in the future but I have my doubts

Mister Wolf

Yes. Alan Wake 2 is the only game on console I would consider "Next Gen". You can make a case for Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition as well. Raytraced global illumination for lighting and Mesh Shaders for geometry are what will define "next gen" for this generation and the next. Everyone was in awe of that UE5 demo due to its use of raytraced lighting(Lumen) and mesh shaders(Nanite).

Last edited:

saintjules

That's why a PS5 Pro would be rather illogical, given that next-gen is expected to arrive in 2027/2028.

Not sure if I believe that all that much. I like to compare to the PC space, specifically how overpowered GPUs are coming out on an annual basis.

It's illogical that certain cards exist to where a multitude of games don't demand it, yet they still exist. Why can't a PS5 Pro model exist next year?

Last edited:

Fbh

Graphically, yeah.
Gameplay wise I'm still waiting for something that feels next gen beyond just faster loading.

It started when I no longer had to play games at 900p30fps on console.

That's probably going to make a comeback though as lots of 60fps modes are already struggling to reach 1080p and even some "quality" modes are already at like 1080p (and then upscaled)

Papa_Wisdom

We’re halfway through this generation and so far there has been next to nothing that makes it feel worth while.

Faster loading times are neat I guess. Sick of this push for 4K/RT at the expense of the What these machines are are actually capable of.

Been gaming since the zx spectrum and this generation has been the biggest let down in the history of mainstream gaming.

Even Nintendo isn’t doing it for me anymore.

I feel like gaming as a whole has deteriorated since the DC, GC, Xbox, PS 2 era. But I’m getting old so what do I know.

Last edited:

Schmick

Not sure if I believe that all that much. I like to compare to the PC space, specifically how overpowered GPUs are coming out on an annual basis.

It's illogical that certain cards exist to where a multitude of games don't demand it, yet they still exist. Why can't a PS5 Pro model exist next year?
The thing about the Pro version is; if PS4 Pro is anything to go by, Sony opted not to improve the CPU other than a slight clock speed increase. If this happens with the PS5 Pro in a generation where games seem to be CPU bound... whats the point of having a PS5 Pro?

We'll just to wait and see.

Killjoy-NL

But the Next-gen wouldn't fully start until 2030. So a PS5 Pro makes even MORE sense now.
Not per se.

Base PS5 probably still has a lot to offer. People have been claiming that PS5 was struggling with RT at 30fps for example, yet we have SM2 with RT 60fps and incredible loading speeds.

Given that Cerny explained in Road to PS5 that PS5 design, along with the SSD, allows for a completely new way to develop games, I think there is a lot of potential in the base PS5.

People have been wrong about so much about PS5, from pre-launch til now, that most of the tech discussions on Gaf about hardware limitations and possible need for more power can pretty much be ignored almost completely.

And I'm aware that more powerful hardware is always welcome, but that's a given for any platform at any given time.

Killjoy-NL

It can exist, I'm just saying it doesn't make much sense this gen.

Didn't someone from Valve or whoever it was even say that a Pro-console wouldn't even really be worth it performance-wise?

Last edited:

ThaGuy

Once the Switch 2 is out, developers can finally start leaving all the old Gen out of the equation besides stuff like indie or smaller games. It's gonna be a nice change of pace thankfully.

I think next gen started when the Dualsense came out. Its probably the most transformative gaming feature to release this generation. Outside of faster loading, there is no other way to get a sense of "feel" to differentiate this generation from the last without the haptic feedback and trigger resisteance. The Dualsense just gives you more immersion.

Quest 3 is the only gaming thing I consider Next Gen.
Handheld gaming devices have made major advances.

Once the Switch 2 is out, developers can finally start leaving all the old Gen out of the equation besides stuff like indie or smaller games. It's gonna be a nice change of pace thankfully.
I think it's possible the Switch 2 will be the real start of a movement from gamers going all mobile all the time.

Well, yeah. We've only just reached the 2nd wave of current-gen games, typically meaning the transition phase is ending.

First wave, and I still expect it to end up being 2030 for newer generation consoles. Although I guess you shouldn't rule out MS trying to sell a mid gen console refresh as new...

Didn't someone from Valve or whoever it was even say that a Pro-console wouldn't even really be worth it performance-wise?

There's enough 30 fps haters out there to make it worthwhlie.

JHNvyzv.gif

For me, the new generation started in 2020, if people expect enormous changes from one generation to the next... I have bad news, that will never happen again, it is not possible either at the technological level or at the cost level, it will improve Step by Step.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Dead-Island-Win64-Shipping-2023-04-29-19-42-27.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231021081022.png

Alan-Wake2-2023-10-28-08-14-41.png

It matured this year, yes! 2020 was a solid year for current gen though, as Demon's Souls and Cyberpunk were clear steps ahead, even with gems like Last of Us II out at the time.

Horseganador Horseganador

Substantial leaps are still possible and only slowed this gen because of a global pandemic. Yes, rising costs are an issue, but graphics are nowhere close to a ceiling and there are plenty of advancements on the way.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

First wave, and I still expect it to end up being 2030 for newer generation consoles. Although I guess you shouldn't rule out MS trying to sell a mid gen console refresh as new...
First wave was launch-window, with Ratchet & Clank, Demon's Souls Remake and Returnal.

(Not counting cross-gen titles)
There's enough 30 fps haters out there to make it worthwhlie.
I suppose.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Those are really cross gen games that could have been released on PS4 had it have an SSD. I'd assume that Demons Souls Remake, if/when released on PC will run OK on Steam Deck.
What exactly makes them crossgen?

Demon's Souls Remake has been completely rebuilt for PS5.
A possible PC-release is irrelevant, btw.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

People seem to have short memory and forget that 2007 was the 'next gen only' year for the PS360 generation, when the Xbox 360 released in 2005.

A lot of cross gen was happening then (with exceptions, just like this gen) as well. Since the HD era started (7th gen), 2 years after launch seems to be par for the course.

Edit: and as for the 'next gen' term. I'd prefer it if next gen experience actually meant "having a gameplay experience that wasn't possible on last gen". Which hasn't been a thing since the 7th gen. Game design has been homogenized since that gen, and the only 'next-gen' part left seems to be visually or rendering prowess.

Last edited:
For me personally the defining feature of next-gen was always Mesh/Primitive Shaders, gimme somma dat micro-polygon rendering.

BootsLoader

Banned
At this point, I am not sure when next gen really starts and what that means. This gen, I am really confused. It was much simpler with previous gen.
For example, PS4 Event ---> Killzone Shadowfall ---> Knack ---> etc.
I looked next gen and had next gen games. Why it is so confusing nowadays?

"next gen" hype is for suckers. I know, I'm a sucker who bought Series X and PS5 early on. In my defense, I did wait a year but it was still too early for new gen games apparently.

Next gen we could just wait two years in or more lol.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I think next gen started when the Dualsense came out. Its probably the most transformative gaming feature to release this generation. Outside of faster loading, there is no other way to get a sense of "feel" to differentiate this generation from the last without the haptic feedback and trigger resisteance. The Dualsense just gives you more immersion.

Came here to post similar. I’ll often ditch certain PC versions for a ps5 version because the controller makes it so much better.

Games like Callisto Protocol playing the audio logs through the controller or CoD with the trigger tension on guns … man it’s slick!

nial

Gold Member
- Playstation no longer releases AAA titles for the PS4. The last one was GOWR in November 2022. Since then, the focus has entirely shifted to next-gen with major titles such as FF XVI and Spider-Man 2.
MLB The Show 23 did release on PS4 this year, it's just not that important for the hardcore fanbase. In addition to the Lightfall expansion for Destiny 2, and The Final Shape next year.
That said, I know Convallaria and Lost Soul Aside were also confirmed for PS4, and the next MLB title is probably releasing there too, just so they can also have a Switch version before transitioning to only PS5/Xbox Series/Switch 2 in 2025.

Killjoy-NL

Given how long dev cycles are, games that were originally cross gen but dropped older at some point. Rift Apart might be the exception to that but even then they probably could have made it work on PS4 had it have an SSD.
Completely irrelevant if the games aren't running and released on last-gen consoles.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You could also argue that a lack of mid-gen upgrades would make 2028 actually feel next gen right at the start.

Developers aren't going to be ready by 2028. Or at least not all of them. It always takes a couple of years.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What impressed me about Alan Wake 2 its use of multimedia and few western devs who get dual protagonist right, its kind of same idea freedom to switch between characters like you do in 13 Sentinels.

My only issue with AW 2 is the same issue I had with original game. I really wish it had better and more freaky enemy designs. I can understand Saga's side you mostly fighting humanoid enemies but Alan's side in Dark place, they could have been much more creative and freaky with the enemies but all we get is same humanoid enemies with blurry filter on them.

Next gen has started in terms of last gen releases stopping or slowing down. But next gen hasn’t really started in terms of gameplay mechanics and stuff not possible on last gen hardware with the exception of sim games like Forza or Flight Sim I guess.

In previous gens it wouldn’t be long before you saw games you felt weren’t possible on previous hardware. I own a Series X and a PS5 and I’m still waiting for these games 🤷‍♂️

CamHostage

Those are really cross gen games that could have been released on PS4 had it have an SSD. I'd assume that Demons Souls Remake, if/when released on PC will run OK on Steam Deck.

If "will run on Steam Deck" is our defining element for whether something is next-gen enough to qualify, then I believe we are still at zero next-gen games, at least for titles also available on PC.
Even Alan Wake 2, the game we're most agreeable to being "true next-gen" boots and runs on Steam Deck.

(It runs iffy, partly because of unsupported incompatibilities and no custom tuning for the game. Way too heavy to run perfect at high settings, but it's playable.)

UE5 releases of Matrix Awakens City Sample and Ark Survival Ascended and Robocop Rogue City also work on Deck.

Next gen has started in terms of last gen releases stopping or slowing down. But next gen hasn’t really started in terms of gameplay mechanics and stuff not possible on last gen hardware with the exception of sim games like Forza or Flight Sim I guess.

In previous gens it wouldn’t be long before you saw games you felt weren’t possible on previous hardware. I own a Series X and a PS5 and I’m still waiting for these games 🤷‍♂️

What was next-gen about the gameplay of Ryse or Killzone SF?
Maybe Dead Rising 3 is the launch period game that did play not possible on previous hardware, but I remember looking at most screens and videos of that game and thinking, "Uh oh, that's it?" (It can fill up with zombies in some extreme scenarios, but it doesn't very often put a flag down for a generational gap.)
Kinect was conceptually-incredible technology doing things not possible on previous hardware, but nobody liked playing any games with it.

Last gen was more similar to this gen than people remember, where cross-gen started to be a common choice of the development process, where games like WatchDogs and Titanfall set expectations early on but still ended up coming out cross-gen. We did have a few graphical techniques past gen which were awesome for next-gen right at launch (and some were really more developer-friendly storage/modeling/display approaches, although that ended up being for the gamers too with much more detailed objects with realistic surfaces,) and this gen unfortunately hasn't benefitted in the same way (although the SSD and to some degree DualSense have been equally if not more transformative, just not in a way we can appreciate in arguments over screenshots...), but otherwise, there was a good deal of complaining about a slim generation gap back then too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom