• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm just gonna say it.... Metroid is Nintendo's best franchise

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
So's I played Metroid Dread, Metroid Remastered and now Metroid Fusion back to back to back and I am ENGROSSED in the world of Samus Airplane.

How is this franchise so under the radar when kiddie junk like Animal Crossing gets the sales?

Forget about Zelda, Forget about Mario, Metroid is true meaning of Nintendo.

There. I said it.

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

anthony2690

Banned
Never really cared for the metroid series myself.

I don't think it's really that big of an ip either tbh, especially as the recent dread is the best selling game at 2.9 million units sold (not knocking the game)

But it's pretty small fry compared to pretty much every other Nintendo ip.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If you are "just gonna say it", then just say it. No need to announce you are going to say something.

And yeah Metroid is cool, glad to see the franchise revival through Dread and patiently waiting for Prime 4... even if I thought 2 was worse and I've yet to play 3. :goog_relieved:

Gloomnivore

Metroid used to be part of the ‘Big Three’ but skipping N64 cost it its place. Mario and Link don’t rest, Samus took an almost decade-long nap. And then after a second lengthy hiatus, Nintendo came back with Federation Force.

NikuNashi

If you are "just gonna say it", then just say it. No need to announce you are going to say something.

And yeah Metroid is cool, glad to see the franchise revival through Dread and patiently waiting for Prime 4... even if I thought 2 was worse and I've yet to play 3. :goog_relieved:
Echoes was amazing, some of the boss battles were super hard. Prime 1 is still the best Metroid IMO.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I enjoy Metroid more then Zelda or Mario. Likely because it's inspired from Alien and has a darker atmosphere. Zelda has it's Dark Fantasy moments but nothing like the isolation in Metroid. Mario is just Mario.

The Skull

With the way Prime remastered has been handled, I'm excited to finally see Prime 4 although at this point I think it will either be for the next console or cross gen like BOTW. Hope we see it this year.

SteadyEvo

I agree but a person has to be in the mood to backtrack, explore and be lost. It’s definitely not for everyone and see why light hearted games like Mario and Animal Crossing dominate.

anthony2690

Banned
OP is not talking about sales…
I'm fully aware...
I said I don't care too much for metroid and this is reflected by most the Nintendo fanbase. (I was surprised as nintendo games tend to do crazy numbers regardless of the game)

I probably should've added this to my initial post (but I cut my post short, as my partner wanted me to put up the new shower curtain), especially with all the chatter and excitement for metroid prime 4 online, I genuinely thought the IP was much bigger.

I personally think 3D Mario games or Zelda is Nintendo's best ip.

Not saying OP is wrong, as it's his opinion that Metroid is Nintendo's best ip. :)

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Zelda and Mario catches peoples eyes Metroid needs horror Kojima dead space help, it needs capcom help it has story and character issues.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So's I played Metroid Dread, Metroid Remastered and now Metroid Fusion back to back to back and I am ENGROSSED in the world of Samus Airplane.

How is this franchise so under the radar when kiddie junk like Animal Crossing gets the sales?

Forget about Zelda, Forget about Mario, Metroid is true meaning of Nintendo.

There. I said it.

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

Royal Dutch Airlines Travel GIF by KLM

Last edited:
Because it doesn't have mass appeal and isn't simplified enough, just like the other games similar to Metroid outside the NES before it came out.

Masses wanted run one direction, press one button gameplay. Sometimes two if it's not complicated. Even if they don't beat the game, as long as they don't have to think much.

By the time Metroid Prime came out it was too late. Metroid was already written off from the NES and SNES days. Anyone who would buy Prime wasn't on a Nintendo console. If Prime was on Xbox and PS2 maybe the series could have developed better sales.

EruditeHobo

Metroid has had it's not-great titles as well, just like Zelda. Most consistent is probably Mario.

But! Judging from this post I do think you and I might agree that the best Metroid games are the best Nintendo games.
For instance I'd rather replay Super Metroid right now than anything else Nintendo has ever released... I think it's probably their masterpiece.
And Dread is maybe the best Nintendo IP/first party game on Switch.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
Most consistent and my personal favorite, but Zelda is probably king in a lot of ways, especially to the general public.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
"Best" is subjective. It's a great IP that they have and they don't beat to death, but they have many others.

Mr Hyde

Totally agree. Metroid is the best franchise Nintendo currently has. Every installment is a banger and it warms my heart to see the love the franchise is currently getting. Excitement for Prime 4 is an understatement. It will most likely knock the socks off of me.

I enjoy the Metroid series but Zelda will always be tops. I love Mario games as well but there hasn't been one that I have truly loved since Mario 64.

Top Bottom