• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm just gonna say it.... Metroid is Nintendo's best franchise

SSfox

It always been Zelda to me. Actually the only N franchise i care about. I used to like Mario but it has became exploitation and a Spam city at some point. Some Metroid games are great but other are bad, and i like Donkey Kong when they make great DK game (theyre even more fun than Mario tbh).

Last edited:

FeralEcho

It's always been the most underrated franchise.It spawned a fucking genre.It has masterpiece after masterpiece in its library and it actually has a story.Don't get me wrong I love my Mario's and Zelda's but story in those games is the most basic shit for narative a game could have.Also the fucking music in Metroid is put of this world!

Gambit2483

Been a die-hard Metroid fan since Super Metroid. It was definitely hard times in the n64 days...just glad to see Samus finally getting her dues after nearly 2 decades

Astral Dog

I prefer Zelda but Metroid is up there 👌its atmosphere is so unique and they are fun,well designed games as well(the lore is all over the place though 😂)

Last edited:
It is absolutely not-uru. It's the bottom of main pack under Zeruda and a Mariosu. Metrio Prime and Super Metriod (fusion too) aren't enough.

Very dishonerabru

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Better than Mario Kart?!? Better than mainline Mario games?!? Lol.

Metroid is nowhere the best Nintendo franchise. If anything it's the worst. It's niche and only loved by the most rabid of Nintendo fans.

Sorry OP, but that's the most insane gaming opinion I've ever heard.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yeah I agree. I don't understand why it doesnt sell more to be honest. It's a great mystery..

Robb

Gold Member
I’d rank both Zelda and Mario higher, but I love Metroid as well.

Dread was fantastic and re-playing Metroid Prime now I’m amazed by how well everything still works and how fresh/unique it feels. Wish we got more FPS exploration/metroidvania type games.

RAIDEN1

I wouldn't say it is there best franchise, look how long they are taking in moving the story forward, the re-master was a "nice-to-have" but where is Metroid Prime 4? Absolutley no footage of it, and it is on course to take as long to release as Metroid Dread did to get out of the gate so to speak

Nautilus

Banned
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Kataploom

Gold Member
As much as I love Metroid, for me it's Xenoblade... It's just too high quality of an RPG on every sense, it's gameplay, productions values, art style, story, etc... All is just too perfect for me, I can't believe no other JRPG out there with anime style is as good in all departments, Monolith just throw everything they can at it with such an elegance

SpiceRacz

Love Metroid, but Mario is king. The problem is the series peaked with Super Metroid. Whereas every mainline Mario game is among the very best in it's genre. Can't say the same for Metroid.

It's always been the most underrated franchise.It spawned a fucking genre.It has masterpiece after masterpiece in its library and it actually has a story.Don't get me wrong I love my Mario's and Zelda's but story in those games is the most basic shit for narative a game could have.Also the fucking music in Metroid is put of this world!
Underrated is a perfect descriptor. As you said, it inspired a whole new genre that is flourishing on PC and other consoles, yet Metroid itself just doesn't get the recognition it deserves on Nintendo consoles because it's more adult and complex than typical Nintendo faire. Hell, Nintendo themselves don't even seem to understand what makes Metroid so good and influential, hence the craptacular spin-offs (Pinball and Federation Force) and poor creative choices (Other M).

That being said, I feel like other developers in the Metroidvania genre have exceeded it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
As a franchise, I don’t know.

But Metroid Prime is “checkmate, atheists”: the video game.
I mean, a universe where Metroid Prime exists is so obviously a universe blessed by a benevolent God. If Metroid Prime doesn’t make you a believer, nothing will.

Knightime_X

Watch a streamer or 2 try to play metroid anything.
The struggle is real for many of them.

I don't know what it is, but watching anyone streaming or not has issues looking for stuff.
Personally, I LOVE most metroid games.
I can't get into dread because I strongly dislike the control scheme.

Last edited:
I have to disagree.Fame wise especially economic wise the most important and most fun ones are Mario games especially Mario kart

Top Bottom