• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imagining a timeline where Disney did not buy Fox

Jubenhimer

Last month, Disney completed its acquisition of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation. Which included 20th Century Fox, their TV division, their 30% stake in Hulu, and much of Fox's cable assets including FX Networks, and their 70% stake in National Geographic. The remains of the parent company, 21st Century Fox, including The Fox Broadcasting Company, and their News and Sports assets, were re-incorporated as "Fox Corporation". This is a very big moment in the entertainment industry, because Disney has now taken out one of the "Big Six" major Film Studios, reducing it to the "Big Five". I, like many was not a fan of this move, but this was inevitable. Disney needs content for its streaming service, Rupert Murdoch wanted out of the entertainment buisness so this was the conclusion we ended up with. However, lets pretend for a moment that there are alternate timelines and dimensions. Basically, let's say, the Disney buyout never happened, what would Fox's future be like? Fox was going to get sold regardless because as I said, Murdoch wanted to get out of Film and TV, so the question now becomes, who would Fox's new parent company be?

If there was a company that I think could've made the move to acquire Fox, It would have to be another telecommunications company, Verizon. They're currently the only one of the big 3 (the others being Comcast and AT&T) that doesn't have a media empire. As much as I don't like my mainstream entertainment being controlled by Internet Service Providers, I'd rather Fox be in Verizon's hands than Disney's. At the very least, the Big 6 would still be the Big 6, and Disney wouldn't have the degree of control of entertainment it has currently. Plus, The Fox Network wouldn't have to be spun off into another company, and could still be part of 21st Century Fox. And with Verizon's Internet infrastructure, Fox could have its own Streaming Service to rival Disney and WarnerMedia's upcoming offerings. Of course it doesn't have to be Verizon, Amazon could've also been up to bat as well, and I'm sure Amazon would've loved having the one of the most renowned Media companies under its wing.

Neither scenario would've been ideal, but If l had to pick the kindest fate for Fox, then it'd be in the hands of Verizon. They'd at least still be sort of their own company, rather than just yet another branch of Disney. I will say this though, even a Disney take over is still a kinder timeline than the proposed Comcast acquisition. Not only because Comcast already has an entertainment company (NBCUniversal), but considering their reputation is the worst of all the Telecom companies, it would've been the worst fate for Fox.

Mista

Banned
Other companies should’ve showed interest. I still don’t know how to feel about Disney acquiring FOX

trikster40

When Disney bought Marvel, I said “WTF does Disney know about comics?”

When disney bought Star Wars, I said “Geez, back off Disney, you’ll Ruin it!” (btw, I’ve enjoyed everything a Disney has done with Star Wars, including TLJ and Solo).

Disney bought Fox, I quit worrying. They’ll take good care of their properties.

goldenpp72

When disney bought Star Wars, I said “Geez, back off Disney, you’ll Ruin it!” (btw, I’ve enjoyed everything a Disney has done with Star Wars, including TLJ and Solo).

Now you've done it, all the Fox stuff will be garbage now.

Weiji

Banned

They don’t though. New Star Wars has done the impossible feet of redeeming the second trilogy, at least by comparison. And while it would be foolish to assume that Marvel will be ruined in the same way, it’s definitely on that track based on the most recent movie.

The ace in the hole here is the Fox legacy content. I’d pay the Disney+ Entry price just for Malcom in the Middle, and there’s a lot of great Fox content.

But new media? It’s gonna be the same trash Netflix is spewing by all indications.

sol_bad

Having another streaming service to compete with Disney is good for consumers? I don't think so Bob. Besides, Fox's catalogue doesn't have enough heavy hitters for me to consider it a worthy service on its own. Currently I can already watch various Fox films on existing services.

So far Disney has shut down Fox 2000 and shut down production of a CGI mouse movie. Yes people lost jobs but Fox 2000 had a lot of stinkers that lost money. As for the mouse movie, production costs were estimated to be 170 million USD, on an unknown property. I have no idea what Fox were even thinking there.

*EDIT*
I'll just say that I have loved everything that Disney has done with Star Wars and Marvel. I'll be happy if they can keep the Alien and Predator franchise's continuing with an R rating intact.

Last edited:

Doom85

And while it would be foolish to assume that Marvel will be ruined in the same way, it’s definitely on that track based on the most recent movie.

Thor: Dark World was followed by Winter Soldier and Guardians, just saying. I'm not exactly worried they're losing their way over one misstep (and really, I thought CM was fairly good anyway).

Weiji

Banned
Thor: Dark World was followed by Winter Soldier and Guardians, just saying. I'm not exactly worried they're losing their way over one misstep (and really, I thought CM was fairly good anyway).

I agree that Thor: The dark world is terrible. But it’s just a bad movie, not a woke wonder women.

They knew what they were doing with Captain Marvel, and women won’t be replacing men in comic movie seats anytime soon. So it’s a perilous decision ala* Star Wars.

Brie seems like quite the poison pill from what I can see.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member

Oh dear god, good job with the jinx.

Jubenhimer

Having another streaming service to compete with Disney is good for consumers? I don't think so Bob. Besides, Fox's catalogue doesn't have enough heavy hitters for me to consider it a worthy service on its own. Currently I can already watch various Fox films on existing services.

Having more choice that both creators and consumers can go to, to get their entertainment is always a good thing. It allows for different ideas, and different avenues to take. So if Netflix passes on a series, the producers can instead take it to one of the other streaming networks.

If you're worried about a crowded market, then don't. The Free Market has historically dictated which products live and which product die.

Doom85

I agree that Thor: The dark world is terrible. But it’s just a bad movie, not a woke wonder women.

They knew what they were doing with Captain Marvel, and women won’t be replacing men in comic movie seats anytime soon. So it’s a perilous decision ala* Star Wars.

Brie seems like quite the poison pill from what I can see.

ZOMG, one guy said something sexist to her in a 2+ hour movie, and shocker, a dude in 1989 was sexist, hold the presses. Seriously, I think Malketh was insanely boring and the worst MCU villain (Ronan's pretty bad, but he at least is more of a threat, and does have the great reaction to Peter's dance) and just blabbing on and on about his hard-on for "the darkness" (sir, the Kingdom Hearts series is over that way), but I can see how a few seconds of a random guy is a bigger deal than another movie's MAIN VILLAIN.

Heck, the Wonder Woman movie discussed sexism FAR, FAR more than the CM movie, so how is Carol the "woke" WW?

Also, riiiiight, women don't see comic movies. It's not like I see a ton at every MCU film nowadays. Unless you mean completely replace which, huh, funny how a ton of guys were at my Captain Marvel showing. And it made over a billion dollars.

And? Gal Gadot has said some controversial stuff, didn't affect anything. Heck, James Gunn was re-hired despite the controversy. I think you're making too much of very little.

sol_bad

Yep, Wonder Woman is way more "woke" then Captain Marvel. Diana is constantly talking about how she can do everything herself and making Chris Pine look like a bumbling idiot. Maybe Carol did overcome the bad guys a bit too easily but it's ending is far more satisfying than the horrible ending of Wonder Woman. Everything in Wonder Woman was great until that final battle.

Insane that people think Disney will screw up the Marvel movies based on CM, they aren't being "woke" now, based on a recent round table with the original 6 Avengers it's even hinted at that Feige has wanted to do a female led super hero movie for a long time. I can't remember the exact quote but Mark Ruffalo basically pointed at Feige and said it wasn't his fault that it took so long for a female super hero film.

Iron Man 2 and Dark World are far worse films, Iron Man 3 and AoU are very divisive. Ever since Disney have taken a step back and allowed Marvel Studios to do exactly what they want, their films have actually improved substantially, I seriously can not fault any of the phase 3 films.

Anyone that thinks Captain Marvel is a bad film, go and watch the masterpieces that are Steel, Superman 4, Elektra, Batman & Robin, Catwoman, 1990's Captain America or the Ghost Rider films. More recently we got the terrible Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2, Fantastic Four and Hellboy which are also terrible. I personally did not like Venom either.

Top Bottom